Photo

BSL: Ravens beat Miami; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

BSL: Ravens beat Miami; What did we see?

http://baltimorespor...ens/ravens-see/

The Baltimore Ravens are leaving South Beach winners, having defeated the Dolphins 26-23. While there were thousands of Ravens fan at Sun Life Stadium, the record books will show this was in-fact a road game.

This is a win the Ravens can feel good about. Not because they played particularly well, but because they beat a quality team in their building, and gained a significant in-conference win. They also got back over .500. More than anything else, they found a way to get things done – even though they remain an obvious work in progress.

What did we see?

1) The game just provided further indication of why the Ravens traded for Eugene Monroe. The O-line again had major issues, with Flacco regularly facing pressure from the interior, and the RB’s having little room to run between the tackles. Fairly early in the game Shipley replaced Osemele at LG. For part of the 2nd half, there did seem to be improvement from the line. However, at a critical point, McKinnie was badly beaten around the edge; with Flacco being hit as the threw. This allowed Miami’s ReShad Jones to make the pick, and take it to the house for the tie.

2) We saw a nice collective effort from the Baltimore defense. Good tackling, and positive plays from each position group (D-line, LB’s, and Secondary) – with the D-line particularly playing well.

3) Ray Rice does not look to be fully recovered from his left hip flexor strain to me. While the blocking in-front of him was poor, he often looked to be running in quick sand. That included the rare opportunities where he caught the ball in-space as a receiver. I think he is trying to gut things out, and give what he can. He did look good on 2 TD runs.

4) There was a 1st Quarter pitch to Pierce, where the 2nd year RB did not convert the 1st; but we liked the design of the play. Certainly something we would like to see more of.

5) His 1st Quarter INT was overturned on the reply, but Ihedigbo made a nice play on that ball. His level of play over the 1st Quarter of the year was high; and that was a good example of why. However, he was beat for a large gain by Clay in the 4th Quarter, and one of the guys beat deep in the final minute.

6) There was a Juszcyzk sighting, with the Rookie in on a 3rd down at TE.

7) Torrey Smith’s development towards becoming a complete WR gains steam each week. He had a huge 41 yard gain on 3rd and 5.  Inside play, with a ton of yards after the catch. Later added a nice 15 yard catch with a slant over the middle. Late in the 3rd he caught back-to-back passes for 35 more yards. The first going for 22 yards he found a soft spot against the zone. With the Ravens using play action, Smith had another 1st down over the middle in the 4th. His 6th catch came when Flacco rolled out, and Smith came back to the ball. This took the ball to the Dolphins 34 with 2+ minutes left.

8) Coach Harbaugh seemed to announce earlier this week that Ed Dickson needed to improve his play to keep his spot on the roster. If today was an audition, Dickson helped his case with a 43 yard catch in traffic, and a nice 8 yard gain to the sideline.

9) With Jones, and Brown not active; Doss and Thompson joined Smith as the only 3 active WR’s  for the Ravens today. Doss made a good catch on 3rd down over the middle, and also added a 40 yard grab down the field. Early in the 4th, he picked up 6 yards on 3rd and 2. Thompson continues to impress at KR, with a 47 yard gain after the Dolphins first FG. Thompson’s 6 yard gain over the middle set-up 1st and Goal in the 4th.

10) Thigpen is a weapon for the Dolphins, and seemed to impact Koch’s punting.

11) Speaking of distractions, Flacco appeared rattled by the pass rush up the gut he was facing in the 1st half. He knew he had to quickly get rid of the ball, because the pass blocking would not hold. He was not stepping-up in the pocket, and the timing routes were off.

12) Rice’s fumble directly led to 3 points for Miami.

13) Early on, J. Smith was called for defensive holding. He had a horrible play near the end of 1st half on Hartline’s catch. Just too many yards after the catch for the Miami WR. He was then burnt on a back shoulder throw for Clay’s TD catch.

14) Wallace had a good game, and deserves credit for the plays he made. That includes him beating a double-team from Elam and Webb. Overall though, I thought Webb often provided good coverage on him. He showed he could run step-for-step with Wallace. He also made a nice play on the ball in the end zone, as he defended Gibson. Big time play from Webb with 5 minutes left in the 4th, jumping the route and deflecting the pass.

15) Arthur Brown showed off his speed running down a tackle in the 1st. Good seeing a glimpse of his future.

16) McPhee, Upshaw, and Dumervil each had a sack. Suggs had 3. Dumervil’s sack forcing a 57 yard FG attempt which was missed to effectively end the game. We know the Dolphins pass-blocking is poor, but the Ravens still get credit for getting to Tannehill.

17) The Ravens were having all sorts of issues converting on 3rd down early on. That improved some during the game, but you would’ve liked to have had the 3rd and 2 with under 2 minutes left.

18) It’s a nice safety blanket when you can have confidence in your PK.

19) Each week D. Smith shows-up. Just a tremendous acquisition there.

20) How were the Ravens ever beat deep on that play in the final minute plus?

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Did we deserve to win this one?

Ugly, but I'll take it.

Yea...Miami was handed 10 points.

#3 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Harbs called the players onto the field to salute the fans! That is pretty cool!

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

That's a monster win.

If you lose next week, this win makes it better.

Shame you lost to Buff last week but getting this win helps a lot.

#5 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Caw caw!

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

We dominated the 2nd half outside of two plays. The fluke Int(and hopefully McKinnie wont be the LT next week) and the 4th down rollout pass by Tannehill. That was an encouraging 2nd half even though it was closer than it should have been.

Now, can the offense keep it rolling into next week. Our defense is solid but Rodgers and GB are a different beast. Gonna need the offense to show up next week like they did in the 2nd half today.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Honestly, the defense is very good and will only improve - but right now they are very prone to giving up big plays. Too many big plays. Need to reel that in right quick.

The O-Line stepped up in the 2nd half, and the offense was aided by Caldwell's 2nd half play calling which involved a lot of short slants/quick passes for Joe to get rid of the ball quicker. 

Run game is still not even remotely efficient, but some key runs late in the game helped us out a lot.

As Rob said, we needed this win today. It was a big win. An ugly win, but an important one, IMO.

Needless to say, I'm excited to see Monroe next week (assuming he's ready by then, which I would think is a safe assumption). 

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

BTW...Rob mentioned earlier that Torrey will be looking for Wallace type money. Well, all I know is Smith is 5 times the overall WR that Wallace is. Point blank Torrey is turning himself into a legit #1. He's not a physical freak like Roddy White, Andre Johnson, TO in their heydays but he's becoming excellent all around WR. Scary speed combined with much improved route running which allows him to be dangerous all over the field. IMO, he's becoming a faster Chad Johnson in his heyday. Extremely consistent this year.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Agree with Branden.  I'm comfortable giving Torrey a big deal.  And I think he might give a bit of a hometeown discount, especially if we pay him before next season (can't sign him until the year is over, though).  I doubt we'd have both him and Rice playing under big cap hits at the same time, and almost certainly not for more than one season.

#10 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

So the question I have is what the line adjustments that were made at halftime? Has KO been playing with back injury for a while because it appeared to get better, beside McKinney, when Shipley came in.

Edit: I also agree about Torrey! Pay that man his money!

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

After next year, Rice wont count too much against the cap right, or at least to cut. I thought I remembered him essentially signing a 3 yr deal. I still think Ray will be valuable for 3-4 more years because he can catch the ball out of the backfield and is dangerous like that. He's clearly not the same right now. Im not sure how much of it is injury, thinking about fumbling, or losing a step but he's not cutting and has agile as we normally see. He would have got that 1st down late in the 4th a few years ago. He's tripping himself up more than Ive ever seen him.

We probably should be looking for a potential replacement in next years draft. Someone who is like Rice. Can be valuable out of the backfield in the receiving game. I agree with whoever it was yesterday that said Pierce isn't a go to RB. He's best as the change of pace hammer RB getting 10 -12 carries a game. So yeah, its definitely Torrey over Ray going forward beyond '14.

Again, I'll say that the 2nd half of this game is IMO the best we've played all year. Completely dominated both sides of the ball. The offense was efficient outside of the one drive with the Int. Started to get the run game geared up and passing game was on point as well. Gives me some confidence heading into a tough game next week.

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

So the question I have is what the line adjustments that were made at halftime? Has KO been playing with back injury for a while because it appeared to get better, beside McKinney, when Shipley came in.

Edit: I also agree about Torrey! Pay that man his money!

IMO, KO and Grad in the middle had been as much, if not more, than a problem than McKinnie outside. KO is easily the most disappointing offensive Raven this year for me after being very good moving to LG last year. Have to hope it really has been the back bothering him this whole time.

Shipley has been known as a good run blocker. Doesn't surprise me that we started getting a little better push with him in there. Maybe, Guard is the right spot for him. I think a lot of his problems at Center may have been the "other things". Line calls, I know there was snap issues between him and Joe in preseason. Its also tougher to pass block as a Center than it is Guard.

#13 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

IMO, KO and Grad in the middle had been as much, if not more, than a problem than McKinnie outside. KO is easily the most disappointing offensive Raven this year for me after being very good moving to LG last year. Have to hope it really has been the back bothering him this whole time.

Shipley has been known as a good run blocker. Doesn't surprise me that we started getting a little better push with him in there. Maybe, Guard is the right spot for him. I think a lot of his problems at Center may have been the "other things". Line calls, I know there was snap issues between him and Joe in preseason. Its also tougher to pass block as a Center than it is Guard.

It has to be the back, I mean he was a freaking beast las year.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Second half today was the best the Oline has looked all year...thus why we looked so good.

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

After next year, Rice wont count too much against the cap right, or at least to cut.

$8.75M cap number next year.  $7.75M each of the next two.  Would be a $14.25M cap hit to cut him before next season, so that's obviously not happening.  If we cut him after next season, it's a $9.5M cap hit so he's still cheaper to keep than to let go (though I think we could spread the hit over two seasons if needed).  Only prior to his final year do we actually save cap space by cutting him, would be $4.75M in dead money if he's cut, compared to a $7.75M cap hit if he's on the roster.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

@MoveTheSticks: Terrell Suggs stats today: 5 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 tackles for loss. He already has 7 sacks this season.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yep...the Rice contract sucks.

We may not win the SB if he isn't here though.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

Yep...the Rice contract sucks.

We may not win the SB if he isn't here though.

Yeah, necessary evil for sure.  We could still have franchised him for each of the past two seasons, but that would've eaten a lot of cap space.  Probably don't bring in Corey Graham and maybe some others if they didn't sign Rice to the extension.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

@MoveTheSticks: Terrell Suggs stats today: 5 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 tackles for loss. He already has 7 sacks this season.

Making a case for Defensive POY.

Is this changing your opinion at all on keeping him long-term?

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Making a case for Defensive POY.

Is this changing your opinion at all on keeping him long-term?

Idk....I worry about his cap hit in a few years.

Guess it would depend on how the contract is structured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=