HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

ESPN: USC AD: Ed Orgeron on our radar

http://espn.go.com/l...ns-coaching-job

"My job is to find the best coach of USC, not just for this year, for five or six or eight games or next year, but hopefully for five, 10 or 15 years," Haden said. "The good news is we had a lot of time to think about this thing and to really open the universe to potential opportunities because this is a really good job.

"We're going to go through this process we have and, at the end of the day, I think we'll have a rational decision."

@levineps

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

OL recruit decommits from Bama, opts for USC

Either he had a change of heart about leaving home, or he really loved the SC campus (or both). Even still, very surprising to see a kid flip from Alabama to USC right now.

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

ESPN: Sources: USC nearing end of search

http://espn.go.com/l...sen-sources-say

Vanderbilt coach James Franklin and Boise State coach Chris Petersen are top candidates for the USC opening and the search may be completed by the middle of this week, according to sources.

USC has made it known to interim coach Ed Orgeron that they value his contribution to the program and would like him to stay with the program in some capacity.

@levineps

#24 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Franklin? Humph. Wow.

Well if anything his my-assistant-coaches-have-to-have-hot-wives ideology will fit in perfectly out here I'll say that much.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:18 AM

Wow, that'd be huge for Franklin if he gets the gig. Good for him.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

USC hired Sarkisian.

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

USC hired Sarkisian.

Wonder who gets the UW job now?

@levineps

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Chris Petersen needs to get out of Boise IMO -- he reportedly withdrew his name -- his stock will most likely drop.

@levineps

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Chris Petersen needs to get out of Boise IMO -- he reportedly withdrew his name -- his stock will most likely drop.

Yeah, I saw something on this over the weekend. He might have missed his chance at a bigger job by turning down everything.

At some point, I think the question becomes whether or not he just wants to stay at Boise State.

@DJ_McCann

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Why? He should do what he wants. I think it's awesome that he likes where he is so much to continually turn down bigger job offers. 

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, I saw something on this over the weekend. He might have missed his chance at a bigger job by turning down everything.

At some point, I think the question becomes whether or not he just wants to stay at Boise State.

The longer he stays, the more likely that's the case. If so, good for him. I don't know how much more he can do at Boise than he's already done.

@levineps

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Why? He should do what he wants. I think it's awesome that he likes where he is so much to continually turn down bigger job offers. 

If he's content with being the king of the mid-majors and not going for national championships then sure. I give him credit for loyalty, but I think he's reached his ceiling in Boise. Would anyone at Boise seriously be mad at him if he left at this point?

@levineps

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

If he's content with being the king of the mid-majors and not going for national championships then sure. I give him credit for loyalty, but I think he's reached his ceiling in Boise. Would anyone at Boise seriously be mad at him if he left at this point?

Oh, most assuredly. This is college football: people kill hundred-year-old trees as an up-yours to rivals. There will be a lot of upset people.

But he would be leaving Boise in a good enough position that they could hire just about any non-major coach they wanted. So the anger would die down pretty quickly.

Another question might be not if he has reached his ceiling at that program, but if the program itself has reached its ceiling?

@DJ_McCann

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

He always said he valued stability for his family over climbing the career ladder. I think it's safe to say at this point that he truly meant it.

• McNulty likes this

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Oh, most assuredly. This is college football: people kill hundred-year-old trees as an up-yours to rivals. There will be a lot of upset people.

But he would be leaving Boise in a good enough position that they could hire just about any non-major coach they wanted. So the anger would die down pretty quickly.

Another question might be not if he has reached his ceiling at that program, but if the program itself has reached its ceiling?

I don't think it's quite Bama-Auburn, but I get your point. I really don't think it would be that bad. Maybe a little backlash, but it won't be Lane Kiffin leaving Tennessee situation.

Boise would be fine, they just promoted Petersen the last time around, but they could definitely find someone out of the program if they wanted too.

I don't think there's much more room for the program to go. They have to go undefeated at this point and then hope things work out.

@levineps

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Wonder who gets the UW job now?

It's a lateral move at best, but Jim Mora, Jr once called it his "dream job."

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

It's a lateral move at best, but Jim Mora, Jr once called it his "dream job."

I think UCLA is the better job, I don't think he moves. He's got a good situation there now it appears, but who knows. One of those, I don't think the timing is right things.

@levineps

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Not that I like putting stock in anything Colin Cowherd has to say, but he does have long-time ties to the Pacific NW. And of course, listening and giving serious consideration are two different things.

Colin Cowherd
‏@ESPN_Colin
Chris Peterson from Boise Stare will quickly become top UW candidate.  Told he WILL listen.  IMO--he's the guy.

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

I think UCLA is the better job, I don't think he moves. He's got a good situation there now it appears, but who knows. One of those, I don't think the timing is right things.

I would put the odds against it as well, but have to think UW will at least reach out to him. UCLA might be better in some ways, but in others I'd give UW the edge, beyond simply Mora's ties to the school and city.

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

I don't think it's quite Bama-Auburn, but I get your point. I really don't think it would be that bad. Maybe a little backlash, but it won't be Lane Kiffin leaving Tennessee situation.

Boise would be fine, they just promoted Petersen the last time around, but they could definitely find someone out of the program if they wanted too.

I don't think there's much more room for the program to go. They have to go undefeated at this point and then hope things work out.

My guess is that they would do the same thing, hire from within. Maybe go get the coach from ND State or another good, regional I-AA program. Try to stay right where they are and hope for everything to come together every three years or so.
@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=