#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

I called this last night at halftime of that game. Although I'm still surprised they did it after 5 games. Let all the rumors begin. That's a hot job.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

I called this last night at halftime of that game. Although I'm still surprised they did it after 5 games. Let all the rumors begin. That's a hot job.

Similar to what Haden did with basketball (yes I know football is much bigger esp at USC) -- giving him no chance to keep his job in case he did much better in the bulk of conference games.

@levineps

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

CBS Sports: USC cans Kiffin; what now?

http://www.cbssports...kiffin-what-now

Another intriguing option is Boise State's 48-year-old Chris Petersen, who is 86-10 in eight seasons. Petersen has turned down repeated offers to leave Boise, including a chance to coach in Los Angeles at UCLA, but a source close to Petersen told me in the past month that the coach has said he's looking for a change. Would that change mean more money but also a much, much bigger spotlight at USC? Probably not.

Names Feldman also mentions are Kevin Sumlin, Steve Sarkisian (former SC asst), James Franklin (same guy who was at MD), Jack Del Rio, Pat Fitzgerald, Tim DeRuyter (FSU HC), and Greg Roman (49ers OC).

They should be able to get a good choice given their location, recruiting area, facilities, $ shouldn't be an issue, etc.

@levineps

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Kiffin was never Haden's guy, so unless Kiffin consistently got to BCS bowls, this was inevitable. Adam Schefter seems to think Del Rio is the leading candidate.

#6 OrangeJerseys

OrangeJerseys
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Can't find it again but I read this morning about Del Rio being the front runner. It was a legit site not Bleacher Report.
  • BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this
@joshuarobi

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Can't find it again but I read this morning about Del Rio being the front runner. It was a legit site not Bleacher Report.

Read that too. Saw it on twitter and pft.
@JeremyMStrain

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

You beat Haden, who supposedly made the decision in the third quarter :P

@DJ_McCann

#9 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

I was a Kiffin supporter but I have literally never seen a more horrifically coached game than the 2nd half last night.

First of all, his offense literally had no hurry-up offense capabilities. They were down by 21 in the second half and were taking the entire (like struggling to get play off in time) play clock.

On 2 occasions, he ran the ball from under center on 3rd and long, and one of those times, went on to go for it on 4th and long with his QB eventually getting sacked from under center. Then on another 4th down play, he went with a wildcat formation and his RB threw an interception.

Will be interesting to see where he goes next. I thought he was on his way to doing big things at Tennessee. He has the charismatic personality to recruit which is often times more important than coaching in college football. Sucks for him that his dream job got hit with those kind of sanctions right after he was hired. 

@PeterDiLutis

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Will be interesting to see where he goes next. I thought he was on his way to doing big things at Tennessee. He has the charismatic personality to recruit which is often times more important than coaching in college football. Sucks for him that his dream job got hit with those kind of sanctions right after he was hired. 

That's just called karma. For both sides. He ended up in a worse situation than he thought, and USC ended up with a worse coach than they thought.

@DJ_McCann

#11 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

That's just called karma. For both sides. He ended up in a worse situation than he thought, and USC ended up with a worse coach than they thought.

Ehh I hear ya, but I'm not going to fault a guy for taking his dream job. I do believe it was his dream job. 

@PeterDiLutis

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

I don't want to imply that I think Kiffin is a good coach who got a raw deal. I watched the 2nd half of that game last night and was dumbfounded by a lot of what I saw. That said, USC did go into that game with one hand tied behind their back. As a result of the sanctions and injuries they only had 56 scholarship players dressed. While there are some very talented guys on that squad, whoever gets the permanent job is still going to have a couple years of tough sledding as far as depth. But since it will be Pat Haden's guy, he will also get a much longer leash than Kiffin did.

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Ehh I hear ya, but I'm not going to fault a guy for taking his dream job. I do believe it was his dream job. 

Oh sure. But I don't think he's a good coach or, at least from a public perspective, a good person. So I am not going to feel bad that he took a job right before major penalties, just like I won't feel bad for USC going all-in on him.

@DJ_McCann

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yeah I do as well, it's funny to me, how many criticize him for leaving for Tennessee like others wouldn't have done the same thing if they were in his shoes (Tennessee being a good job but SC being the best job given their ties). If your dream job opens up, most people would leave in a heartbeat. I'm a big believer in loyalty going both ways. Do I like the fact, he wasn't even in Knoxville for a year, no. However, If Tennessee could dismiss him for a few bad seasons as we saw with Fulmer, why should he have stick it out? Fulmer was a UT product and won a national championship, a decade before which used to give you lifetime security. Who knows when the USC job will open up again? Who knows if he'll be a candidate when it does? Assuming he had similar results at UT, he wouldn't be a candidate this time around. Sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot. 

If you are a Tennessee fan, you have a lifetime pass to dislike him. But truth be told, aren't you happy as it turned out? He couldn't win at USC, the SEC isn't easier. Besides Tennessee fans, I think it's mostly fake outrage.

@levineps

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

I don't want to imply that I think Kiffin is a good coach who got a raw deal. I watched the 2nd half of that game last night and was dumbfounded by a lot of what I saw. That said, USC did go into that game with one hand tied behind their back. As a result of the sanctions and injuries they only had 56 scholarship players dressed. While there are some very talented guys on that squad, whoever gets the permanent job is still going to have a couple years of tough sledding as far as depth. But since it will be Pat Haden's guy, he will also get a much longer leash than Kiffin did.

The timing of it wasn't great for him since he was hired IIRC months after Mike Garrett was fired/Haden was hired. It be like if Edsall or Turgeon got hired by Yow and then KA took over short thereafter. Edsall would have a very short leash right now and Turgeon wouldn't be on great footing either, not having made the tourney in either of his years. 

@levineps

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

ESPN: Haden couldn't support a sinking ship

http://espn.go.com/c...en-lost-resolve

@levineps

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

Sports Illustrated: Several NFL names could be in-play

http://nfl.si.com/20...g/?sct=cf_wr_a2

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

CBS Sports: Chip Kelly has no interest in entertaining a USC job offer

http://www.cbssports...-usc-job-offers

Ok not exactly surprising, we've played a quarter of the season and he already needs to address this?

@levineps

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:46 AM

ESPN: USC: Impersonators calling coaches

http://espn.go.com/l...ls-coaching-job

@levineps