Washington Post: Terps hope Faust can become an elite perimeter defender
http://www.washingto...meter-defender/

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Where is your level of excitement for this coming year?

#43 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

8/10. It's been a 6 or 7 the past 5 years or so.

#44 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

I'd say probably a 5.  Looking forward to the season and all, but still not expecting much more than another bubble team. 

I was really underwhelmed by Turgeon's in-game coaching last year, so hopefully with a roster that is mostly his guys at this point, we will see a bit more of a consistent team identity on the offensive end.

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,924 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

I bought season tickets.  I'm excited.  To be comfortably inside the bubble is my hope.  I don't know if I think they'll be a clear top-5 seed, that's a bit too optimistic, but I think to be clearly a team that's in heading into the ACC tournament would be a nice change of pace from recent years.  I do think we've got lots of young talent.  The key is that one of these young guys needs to step up and be the man.  We won't be as good as we can be if we just have 3-4 guys all averaging between 10-13 points.  We need at least one player to take a big step forward and be a legit 2nd team All-ACC caliber player, or even better.  Lots of candidates - Dez, Layman, Allen - but if someone actually can make the leap remains to be seen.

#46 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'd say probably a 5.  Looking forward to the season and all, but still not expecting much more than another bubble team. 

I was really underwhelmed by Turgeon's in-game coaching last year, so hopefully with a roster that is mostly his guys at this point, we will see a bit more of a consistent team identity on the offensive end.

He had stupid players that couldn't handle or shoot the basketball. He's always been known as a good x's and o's guy. In fact, the question coming in was how he would recruit not how he would coach.

I'm at  6, but it can go up considerably if I see some good things. I'm not going to get overly excited before the January no matter what happens. Did that last year and the ACC season really pissed me off.

Going to be all about PG play and shooting better. I felt like the execution of plays got better as the year went on last year. We just couldn't hit open jumpers and missed too many relatively easy looks around the rim.

#47 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,483 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

About 6-7 for me. I'm glad that the OOC schedule, while not daunting, should at least be a better gauge this year to give us insight as to how good the team is....unlike last year when we all drank the Kool-Aid from a cupcake schedule early, and then suffered the huge letdown when the conference schedule rolled around.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Testudo Times: Profiles in Terpage - Shaq Cleare
http://www.testudoti...haquille-cleare

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Washington Post: With an eye on the past, Wells looks to carve own legacy
http://www.washingto...with-the-terps/

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm about a 7 or so for this season. Last year, I was an 8, and predicted a 14-4 ACC record (oops). Like BoB said, the OOC schedule really fooled a lot of us last year. Regardless, I like this team to take a step forward this year, but until I see it with my own two eyes, the jury is still out on Turg the coach for me.

Ultimately, I think we make the tournament this year and get things back on track. It would be incredibly disappointing if that isn't the case.

Also, great to hear about Mitchell's improved work ethic in the off-season. He's a potential WC for us. Could be a difference maker in the post. Also agreed w/Nickle on the 1. That will play a huge role in how this season goes.

Regardless - just 17 days to go until MD opens vs. UConn. I don't think any game-1 offers a true test due to so much unknown - but UConn is adequate for sure, and will offer at least some insight as to where we are.

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,924 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

We're going to have to be more efficient offensively as Branden mentions.  We aren't going to be nearly as good defensively or on the defensive glass as we were last season, IMO.  Losing Len and not having a true rim defender and excellent rebounder ready to step in and fill his shoes a bit hurts.  I think Mitchell is a great offensive rebounder, but neither he or Cleare really are guys that secure all the loose balls on the defensive side, since neither can get up very high or up very quickly.  I don't think we'll be bad at those aspects, but I don't think they'll be major advantages like last season and we'll have to improve in other areas to make up for it.

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

We're going to have to be more efficient offensively as Branden mentions.  We aren't going to be nearly as good defensively or on the defensive glass as we were last season, IMO.  Losing Len and not having a true rim defender and excellent rebounder ready to step in and fill his shoes a bit hurts.  I think Mitchell is a great offensive rebounder, but neither he or Cleare really are guys that secure all the loose balls on the defensive side, since neither can get up very high or up very quickly.  I don't think we'll be bad at those aspects, but I don't think they'll be major advantages like last season and we'll have to improve in other areas to make up for it.

Without that help defender, Turgeon has already talked about (in several of the links above) doing more pressing.

MD was 11th in FG defense, and 294th overall in turnover margin last year. Both numbers figure to change. I think they will let up more baskets this year, but I expect they will cut down on their turnover margin (and create more turnovers on their own).

If Allen and Peters can combine to be average ish at PG, MD will make the Dance.

The shooting is going to remain an issue...  Layman, Smotrycz, Allen, Wells, Faust, Peters... each are going to be capable of knocking down some shots... but collectively MD still won't be a team hits for a great % from outside.

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Washington Post: Peters revamps shot, expects to contribute immediately
http://www.washingto...ately-to-terps/

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

MD played a 'Secret Scrimmage' vs. Villanova, apparently winning 70-67 on a 3 from Wells. Only details I've seen.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

MD played a 'Secret Scrimmage' vs. Villanova, apparently winning 70-67 on a 3 from Wells. Only details I've seen.

Pretty cool. How good is Nova supposed to be this year?

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

Pretty cool. How good is Nova supposed to be this year?

Lost one of their Top 6 players, Wright thinks they are better than the tournament team they were a year ago.

#57 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'm at an 11.

I absolutely love College Basketball.

As for the Terps my expectations are to see them on the fringe of the Top 25, maybe busting through periodically. Barring injury I'd expect a tourney appearance.

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Washington Post: Terps Freshman Center Damonte Dodd carves out role as high energy guy
http://www.washingto...igh-energy-guy/

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Decided to splurge for season tickets this season.  Not great seats, but it'll be nice to get to go to most of the games.  Wish we had a Duke or UNC game. 

Right or not, there was no way those schools were coming to MD with them leaving the conference.

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Right or not, there was no way those schools were coming to MD with them leaving the conference.

Yeah, I don't blame the ACC for that. Did see a couple of Duke players saying there were disappointed not to be playing in CP this year though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=