This one will be televised on ESPNU

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Dexter McDougle is done for the season. Terrible for him, and apparently would not be eligible for a medical redshirt, per Edsall.

Terrible for the team too. The CB position is this year's QB. This will hurt them.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Dexter McDougle is done for the season. Terrible for him, and apparently would not be eligible for a medical redshirt, per Edsall.

Terrible for the team too. The CB position is this year's QB. This will hurt them.

That is so frustrating. I know building depth is a key to any football team, but I was dreaming of them getting through this season without significant injuries to their starting lineup. This is going to be difficult to overcome... especially when you are playing teams like WVU, Clemson, FSU, dealing with speed and spread with limited numbers in the secondary.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

That is so frustrating. I know building depth is a key to any football team, but I was dreaming of them getting through this season without significant injuries to their starting lineup. This is going to be difficult to overcome... especially when you are playing teams like WVU, Clemson, FSU, dealing with speed and spread with limited numbers in the secondary.

Yeah, FSU and Clemson didn't figure to be wins anyway, but I thought the Terps might have a puncher's chance in those games. But I don't see how they can slow down Boyd and Winston with such a depleted secondary.

I don't know what to make of WVU. They struggled in their first 2 games (one at home against William and Mary) and only looked good against Georgia State yesterday. Their defense seems much improved over last year (no way they could get any worse) but their offense doesn't seem to have gotten untracked yet after having to replace several key skill-positions. I don't know how to feel going into this game, especially after this news.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, FSU and Clemson didn't figure to be wins anyway, but I thought the Terps might have a puncher's chance in those games. But I don't see how they can slow down Boyd and Winston with such a depleted secondary.

I don't know what to make of WVU. They struggled in their first 2 games (one at home against William and Mary) and only looked good against Georgia State yesterday. Their defense seems much improved over last year (no way they could get any worse) but their offense doesn't seem to have gotten untracked yet after having to replace several key skill-positions. I don't know how to feel going into this game, especially after this news.

I think MD will have enough offense to just outscore WVU, but I think WVU has enough skill to advantage of a depleted secondary and put plenty of points on the board as well. If the Terps turn the ball over, WVU could pull the upset.

Just find a way to win vs. WVU, and develop a strategy to handle the absence of McDougle (and for now Johnson) during the bye.

Likely was already getting time, now you are going to depend on him. Davis had beat out Hendy as a starting safety, but I know there was some thought that Hendy could get time at CB. Lot of pressure on Goins to produce and stay healthy. Milan Collins, come on down. Same with you Elvis Dennah. Opportunity awaits.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot Collins is also out for the year.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think MD will have enough offense to just outscore WVU, but I think WVU has enough skill to advantage of a depleted secondary and put plenty of points on the board as well. If the Terps turn the ball over, WVU could pull the upset.

Just find a way to win vs. WVU, and develop a strategy to handle the absence of McDougle (and for now Johnson) during the bye.

Likely was already getting time, now you are going to depend on him. Davis had beat out Hendy as a starting safety, but I know there was some thought that Hendy could get time at CB. Lot of pressure on Goins to produce and stay healthy. Milan Collins, come on down. Same with you Elvis Dennah. Opportunity awaits.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot Collins is also out for the year.

Maybe you also see some of the reserve WRs get a look. I know Malcolm Culmer played CB in HS. Regis Whittington previously spent time at CB.

#7 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

This sucks for Dexter. His performance against UConn was the best game of his MD career and he had come a long way since he first started at MD (he started every game under Edsall). This ends his college career. A real shame. Quickly after celebrating his pick-six, he suffers a season-ending shoulder injury. Cruel.

Big picture for the rest of the season, yeah, they're going to lean on Will Likely. They really like him and he's a really mature player for being just a freshman. His height scared away big-time programs and MD reaped the benefits of that. AJ Hendy is a Bowie kid who was one of the first guys that Edsall needed to re-recruit when he took the job. I believe Hendy committed (or was very close to committing) under Ralph and Edsall reeled him back in. Flashed some ability the past two years and he'll get an extended opportunity now.

I'm guessing opposing teams are going to spread the Terps out and challenge their depth. Basically, Maryland's going to need a monster front seven and/or score a LOT of points. Thought before the season that they might be a Big 12 Lite kind of team, which is looking more and more accurate.

• glenn__davis likes this
@BSLLukeJackson

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

Just saw the news about Dexter. That just plain sucks. Has to be one of the worst ways to go out in all of college football. But the season goes on. Losing your #1 and #2 CBs is horrible, and the Terps don't have the best depth.

Isaac Goins will take over as the #1 CB.

William Likely will be the #2.

A.J. Hendy and Alvin Hill will split time at nickel back.

Jarrett Ross is next up as a true freshman.

Here's something else: While most of Maryland's LBs last season were run stoppers (Hartsfield, Drakeford), most of the LBs now are good pass coverage guys (Robinson, Goree, Ngakoue). Look for Yannick Ngakoue to see more of the field as a 5th LB on occasion. Jermaine Carter and Alex Twine could see time in pass coverage as well. 

I'd also expect to see some more of Zach Dancel. The Terps may have to play 3 safeties at times, and they'll likely play a lot more zone to take the pressure off of Likely, Hendy, and Hill. Goins is a good one-on-one guy, but the others would do better in a zone. There's a good pass rush going, so the pressure is on the D-Line to get pressure now and not expose the DBs more than they should be.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Also wanted to mention that DeAndre Lane and Jacquille Veii also played CB in high school. Not sure if Edsall would consider moving either one, but Lane would probably be the first to move since Veii has locked down the #3 RB job.

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

I do wonder if MD will be forced to play more soft zone coverage than they'd like to because they have to protect their corners, especially when offenses spread 'em out. Johnson and McDougle were the Terps' best chance to be able to play man-to-man and leave the corners out on an island. That allows you to run a lot of different blitz packages. We might see a much more vanilla defense to keep those corners from giving up big plays. We'll see.

@BSLLukeJackson

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

I do wonder if MD will be forced to play more soft zone coverage than they'd like to because they have to protect their corners, especially when offenses spread 'em out. Johnson and McDougle were the Terps' best chance to be able to play man-to-man and leave the corners out on an island. That allows you to run a lot of different blitz packages. We might see a much more vanilla defense to keep those corners from giving up big plays. We'll see.

Like I mentioned above, I'd think this is the best way to protect these corners. Blitzing will go down, which puts more pressure on the front 4 to get pressure (Whitfield will probably still blitz a lot).

@BSLZackKiesel

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to our offense continuing to score points in bunches. UConn was able to slow us down for a bit on Saturday, but hopefully we make some adjustments and can score early and often. That's our recipe anyway, and is even much moreso now with the injuries to our secondary.

Another thing is that Craddock has looked night and day compared to last season. His leg could be big for us against better teams if the game is close down the stretch.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to our offense continuing to score points in bunches. UConn was able to slow us down for a bit on Saturday, but hopefully we make some adjustments and can score early and often. That's our recipe anyway, and is even much moreso now with the injuries to our secondary.

Another thing is that Craddock has looked night and day compared to last season. His leg could be big for us against better teams if the game is close down the stretch.

Yeah, good point here.  Each week we see examples that pretty much the only thing that matters in college is the ability to consistently score points, and answer opposing scores.

If the line and Brown can stay healthy, there are certainly enough playmakers to continue to put up numbers. Might be some crazy video game numbers the rest of the way.

In that scenario, all I'll be looking for from the defense is a way to get turnovers, and occasional needed stops.

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

Malcolm Culmer is now a starting WR, with Taivon Jacobs listed as his backup. 

As expected, Alvin Hill and Jarrett Ross are backup CBs. A.J. Hendy still listed as Sean Davis' backup.

@BSLZackKiesel

#15 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yeah, good point here.  Each week we see examples that pretty much the only thing that matters in college is the ability to consistently score points, and answer opposing scores.

If the line and Brown can stay healthy, there are certainly enough playmakers to continue to put up numbers. Might be some crazy video game numbers the rest of the way.

In that scenario, all I'll be looking for from the defense is a way to get turnovers, and occasional needed stops.

Yeah, limit the big plays and hold 'em down in the red zone. Yards allowed and TOP aren't nearly as vital as they once were.

@BSLLukeJackson

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

52k seats sold so far (per The Washington Post). Basically they've filled up Byrd. Not sure how Maryland walkup sales typically do. I'd like to see atleast 60k to make this game worthwhile, ideally 65k, selling out would be great.

Hard to believe a 1/3 of the season is over. No season seems to go by as fast as cfb IMO.

According to the official, Maryland has less than 100 tickets of its original allotted 20,000 to sell. West Virginia was given 5,000 to distribute, and the rest were sold through the Ravens ticket office.

The university will receive $3.5 million from M&T Bank Stadium for playing the game there, according to a copy of the contract obtained through an open records request.

@levineps

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

According to the Washington Post, the Terps will wear a new red version of their "Pride" uniforms for this game. This link includes a mock-up. The official unveiling will take place sometime tomorrow.

http://www.washingto...-west-virginia/

@BSLZackKiesel

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

A little disappointed in the sales numbers. I had hoped for a crowd well into the 60s. With essentially two days left (I don't expect a significant walk-up crowd) I doubt they will get there. But it isn't hard to understand why there isn't a buzz around the team yet....mainly due to not having played a noteworthy opponent so far, plus a lack of television coverage.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

According to the Washington Post, the Terps will wear a new red version of their "Pride" uniforms for this game. This link includes a mock-up. The official unveiling will take place sometime tomorrow.

http://www.washingto...-west-virginia/

Hope the replies to the tweet are right, that the renderings don't do them justice and the helmets are the main attention-grabber....as my first impression was, meh.

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hope the replies to the tweet are right, that the renderings don't do them justice and the helmets are the main attention-grabber....as my first impression was, meh.

Sounds like this is the case. Uniforms will be unveiled sometime tonight.

@BSLZackKiesel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=