45 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

An interesting opinion piece on why Apple could, and should, get in on the bidding too.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

An interesting opinion piece on why Apple could, and should, get in on the bidding too.

They absolutely should. I expect to hear that they will, if things get serious with Google. Apple and Google are ahead of the curve on this stuff and are in an arms race here. I'm still expecting Apple to announce their first actual TV soon, I bet that is coming down the pike, though I can't imagine it being reasonably priced, which is probably the hold up.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Same here.   As far as my computer knows, I like to come in from the windmill in the backyard, kick off my wooden shoes, and watch some voetbal (that's Dutch for "football").

And here I thought you were the guy streaming it from the hash house in Amsterdam.

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

They absolutely should. I expect to hear that they will, if things get serious with Google. Apple and Google are ahead of the curve on this stuff and are in an arms race here. I'm still expecting Apple to announce their first actual TV soon, I bet that is coming down the pike, though I can't imagine it being reasonably priced, which is probably the hold up.

NFL Sunday Ticket could really pump up hardware sales for them. That was pretty much what put DirecTV on the map.

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't know.

Internet TV is the future but a lot of people don't have the time, money or patience to buy new devices and create new accounts to watch football.

So Google or Apple could spend 1 billion a year on the NFL and not have enough people to watch and support advertisers.

Thats just how I see it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

I don't know.

Internet TV is the future but a lot of people don't have the time, money or patience to buy new devices and create new accounts to watch football.

So Google or Apple could spend 1 billion a year on the NFL and not have enough people to watch and support advertisers.

Thats just how I see it.

It worked for DirecTV. Back when they first rolled out Sunday Ticket, you had to spend several hundred bucks to buy the hardware first. Like David Stern said a few months ago, "content is king", and the NFL sits atop that throne. The prevalence of the Red Zone Channel on cable distributors might make it a little bit more challenging now vs. when Sunday Ticket first started, as many may be content to just stick with that, but I think companies like Apple and Google have the know-how and marketing juice to make it a success.

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Good point. I've had DTV so long I forget it was once a new technology. If Apple or Google can make channels ala carte that would make quite a difference.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yep, me too. Satellite sucks. Cable companies blow too though, so not like we're getting some huge upgrade, though I'll look forward to no disruption when it's raining. I'm seriously amping up to go the internet only route.
My parents have Comcast. I haven't tried it yet, but if I could use their account info to access WatchESPN, and Google gets Sunday Ticket, then it's buh-bye to pay TV for me.
Do it. I use my folks info to log into watch espn, NBC sports, hbo, etc. I haven't missed anything I have wanted to watch once since I cut the cord. Pirate bay helps from time to time.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

@fuzydunlop

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

NFL, DirecTV Near Multi-Year Deal for Sunday Games

The National Football League and DirecTV are in advanced discussions to renew the satellite TV provider’s exclusive Sunday ticket package in a multi-year agreement, sources confirm to Variety.

Estimated to be worth $1 billion annually, DirecTV’s exclusive NFL package has allowed subscribers to watch football games outside of their local markets on Sundays for the past 20 years.

It would be a shock if this didn't happen. DirecTV used to be a great service that stood out from the rest. But now they are no different than any of the cable companies, and all they have to really stand out from th crowd is Sunday Ticket (here in Portland I can't watch about 75% of Trail Blazers games or any Oregon/Oregon State games shown on Pac-12 Network because DirecTV can't agree to carry certain sports channels). Lose Sunday Ticket, and they probably start bleeding subscribers. And I would have been one of them....I was kind of looking forward to the idea of cutting the cord, but guess now I will have to stay on if I want to see all of the Ravens games.

#30 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thanks to aereo launching in Baltimore today, I'll never have a problem with this again.

@fuzydunlop

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks to aereo launching in Baltimore today, I'll never have a problem with this again.

That hadn't occurred to me....care to share the secret as to how you get it where you are?

#32 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

All you need is a credit card with a zip in the metro area. Got any family still in the area? It's only 8 bucks a month.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

@fuzydunlop

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

All you need is a credit card with a zip in the metro area. Got any family still in the area? It's only 8 bucks a month.

Ah, didn't think it could be that simple. Yeah, I should have a couple people that can help me out. Sorry, DirecTV.

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

What's this Aereo? I'm seriously considering chord cutting when I move next year...

I was really hoping that Google won the bid, it would have been very interesting to see what they did with it.

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

What's this Aereo? I'm seriously considering chord cutting when I move next year...

I was really hoping that Google won the bid, it would have been very interesting to see what they did with it.

You get all of your local stations via internet, with the ability to DVR.

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

https://aereo.com

@DJ_McCann

#37 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

Is aereo better than http://ustvnow.com ?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#38 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

Has anyone tried an HD over-the-air antenna?

#39 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Has anyone tried an HD over-the-air antenna?

I use one. I bought a 10 dollar small antenna with a magnet and put it on the roof of my building (6 story). Clear line of sight is key. Ran the coax down two floors and it works fantastic. Since I don't live in market to get the ravens, aereo is perfect. But all you Baltimore folks could use the HD antenna and get them for free. http://amzn.com/B007JPOX8O
  • Russ likes this

@fuzydunlop

#40 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:59 PM

https://deadline.com...lus-1234789736/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users