• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

DirecTV's contract for NFL Sunday Ticket expires after the end of the 2014 season.

Video:  http://www.cnbc.com/id/100977669

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

I hope they win and offer it for free :P

@DJ_McCann

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm rooting for this because it will drive customers to purchase "smart TVs", which will drive other content for these devices, and get the ball rolling more towards internet delivery.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

I'm rooting for this because it will drive customers to purchase "smart TVs", which will drive other content for these devices, and get the ball rolling more towards internet delivery.

It would certainly be a game changer, and a pretty big blow to Apple who has big plans of their own with their TV product moving forward. It wouldn't surprise me to see this happen. The real question is, does the NFL see this type of service as their desired partner for Sunday Ticket?

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Roku and Chromecast!

@DJ_McCann

#6 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

It would certainly be a game changer, and a pretty big blow to Apple who has big plans of their own with their TV product moving forward. It wouldn't surprise me to see this happen. The real question is, does the NFL see this type of service as their desired partner for Sunday Ticket?

I would say the NFL definitely does NOT see Google as their desired partner.  However,  Google has deep enough pockets to overcome that ;)

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I would say the NFL definitely does NOT see Google as their desired partner.  However,  Google has deep enough pockets to overcome that ;)

That they do. This will be interesting.

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

I have comcast, and pay the extra $5 a month to get a few extra sports channels. One of them being Red Zone. I don't see the need for Sunday Ticket unless you don't live in the market as your favorite team. Red Zone shows you everything you need to see.
  • SammyBirdland likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

I have comcast, and pay the extra $5 a month to get a few extra sports channels. One of them being Red Zone. I don't see the need for Sunday Ticket unless you don't live in the market as your favorite team. Red Zone shows you everything you need to see.

Red Zone is awesome, don't get me wrong... but two TV's set-up on Sunday's, one with the Ravens, the other with DirecTV Sunday Ticket mix (4 games on a 40 inch TV), is just heaven. Doesn't get any better. Red Zone is very nice though, for sure.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

That would probably be the final straw that convinces me to drop DirecTV.

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

That would probably be the final straw that convinces me to drop DirecTV.

Yep, me too. Satellite sucks.

Cable companies blow too though, so not like we're getting some huge upgrade, though I'll look forward to no disruption when it's raining.

I'm seriously amping up to go the internet only route.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Cable companies blow too though, so not like we're getting some huge upgrade, though I'll look forward to no disruption when it's raining.

My parents have Comcast. I haven't tried it yet, but if I could use their account info to access WatchESPN, and Google gets Sunday Ticket, then it's buh-bye to pay TV for me.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

My parents have Comcast. I haven't tried it yet, but if I could use their account info to access WatchESPN, and Google gets Sunday Ticket, then it's buh-bye to pay TV for me.

Talked to DirecTV last week 'cause my bill had skyrocketed like it magically does every year. To their credit, they slapped some promo's on and saved me about $40/month, so I'll give them that. I also inquired about WatchESPN and the guy basically sounded like he read me an EMail or something stating they're currently in serious negotiations with ESPN to bring the service to their valued customers, blah blah blah. It's just assinine. So ridiculous that they don't provide that.

#14 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Of course with simple internet finagling, all of the games + RedZone come free.  :)

Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Talked to DirecTV last week 'cause my bill had skyrocketed like it magically does every year. To their credit, they slapped some promo's on and saved me about $40/month, so I'll give them that. I also inquired about WatchESPN and the guy basically sounded like he read me an EMail or something stating they're currently in serious negotiations with ESPN to bring the service to their valued customers, blah blah blah. It's just assinine. So ridiculous that they don't provide that.

I got the same thing when I played my annual game of CSR Roulette for a Sunday Ticket discount. This year I was actually able to save $17/mo on my regular bill, plus about 25% off the regular ST price. Not bad. Still, for as little television as I actually watch, it's getting harder and harder for me to justify the expense.

As for DTV and WatchESPN, these additions usually happen the same time they do a new carriage agreement, which for ESPN's channels is up in another year, I believe.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#16 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

Of course with simple internet finagling, all of the games + RedZone come free.  :)

Ah, are you my Netherlands countryman?   ;)

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#17 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

I am not but my computer thinks I am.

• SammyBirdland likes this
Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, no disruptions when it rains. Just randomly any other time :)

@DJ_McCann

#19 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I am not but my computer thinks I am.

Same here.   As far as my computer knows, I like to come in from the windmill in the backyard, kick off my wooden shoes, and watch some voetbal (that's Dutch for "football").

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, no disruptions when it rains. Just randomly any other time :)

I had a gut feeling I was being a bit naive when I said that, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=