#2121 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 February 2023 - 08:38 AM

City with only 37% possession that game, I cannot remember another game in the Pep era where City has had under 50% possession.

Really showed how good a manager Pep really is. Has his team able to still win when the game doesn't go according to the expected script. Taking 3 points from Arsenal at their house was huge.

#2122 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 February 2023 - 08:44 AM

Man C has beaten Arsenal and has caught them in the standings, in fact, by virtue of goal differential, they are in first. Now Arsenal has a game in hand but I think Man C is just gonna go on a tear and win the crown. The Gunners are still in the thick of things but 2-1-2 in their last 5 isn't going to win it, not when Man C made up 5 points in the last 5 matches.

I said as much to my daughter.  The game in hand helps, and they still have one more H2H but City certainly has all the momentum right now.  Arsenal could certainly use Gabriel Jesus right about now.

#2123 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:41 AM

I said as much to my daughter.  The game in hand helps, and they still have one more H2H but City certainly has all the momentum right now.  Arsenal could certainly use Gabriel Jesus right about now.

The problem is that second H2H is in Etihad Stadium and they City isn't losing there. Arsenal needed to hold at home and they didn't.

#2124 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 February 2023 - 12:36 PM

The problem is that second H2H is in Etihad Stadium and they City isn't losing there. Arsenal needed to hold at home and they didn't.

Coming from the guy that picked Liverpool to win the league this year ;)

This has been a wild and unpredictable year already.  Does City have the momentum, yes.  Does Arsenal have a history of being Arsenal, yes.  Will City be the favorites to win that game, probably.  Having said all that City lost to Brentford at home and had to settle for a draw against Everton,  so I'm not going to automatically dismiss their chances in the rematch.   Feel free to bring this post up when the Gunners lose 4-1

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#2125 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 February 2023 - 12:56 PM

Coming from the guy that picked Liverpool to win the league this year ;)

This has been a wild and unpredictable year already.  Does City have the momentum, yes.  Does Arsenal have a history of being Arsenal, yes.  Will City be the favorites to win that game, probably.  Having said all that City lost to Brentford at home and had to settle for a draw against Everton,  so I'm not going to automatically dismiss their chances in the rematch.   Feel free to bring this post up when the Gunners lose 4-1

This most certainly has been one weird EPL season. Liverpool has had some injuries that have hurt them for sure. But 10th place? WTH is up with that? I hope Liverpool losses every game now, they fire Klopp, and the USMNT hires him 2 minutes later....lol

#2126 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 01:05 PM

Really showed how good a manager Pep really is. Has his team able to still win when the game doesn't go according to the expected script. Taking 3 points from Arsenal at their house was huge.

The new formation seems to have broken the attacking malaise. When you've got Haaland up top, DeBruyne distributing, and their other ball handlers there's nothing wrong with giving up some possession to set up brutal counter attacks.
@DaKittenz

#2127 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 February 2023 - 11:03 AM

Arsenal with a big road 3 points at Aston Villa. Villa went up 1-0. Arsenal tied it 1-1. Aston Villa went up 2-1 and it stayed that way into the second half. Then Arsenal tied it and it looked like it would end 2-2. But no the Gunners scored in the 93rd minute then just for shits and giggles they scored again in the 96th minute. 4-2 and 3 points clear of Man C.

#2128 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 08:46 PM

Liverpool is back baby!
  • ivanbalt likes this
@DaKittenz

#2129 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 February 2023 - 09:57 PM

Liverpool is back baby!

That was pretty thrilling.

#2130 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 February 2023 - 10:55 PM

Just so I’m sure — Tottenham can’t win right?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2131 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:51 AM

It took 77+ minutes but Leeds was finally able to breakthrough and get a goal on Saturday.   As importantly they were able to hold onto the lead and secure 3 massive points against Southampton.  Anything less than a draw here would have been trouble.  Leeds is currently one point above the zone,  hopefully they can pick up a few more points here in March to get a little breathing room.

#2132 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 09:20 PM

Man, Fulham gets a run to the FA cup quarterfinals and draws Man United away. Blech.

#2133 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 04:19 AM

Manchester United drawn at home in a domestic cup for the tenth consecutive time. The odds of that are 1023/1.
@DaKittenz

#2134 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:43 AM

Manchester United drawn at home in a domestic cup for the tenth consecutive time. The odds of that are 1023/1.

You're not implicating some level of corruption here, are you?

#2135 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 March 2023 - 10:33 AM

Man U and Liverpool coming up in an hour. Massive match.

#2136 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 March 2023 - 01:31 PM

Liverpool put a second half trashing on Man U...ouch!!

#2137 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 05:02 AM

That was so beautiful, we're back in it baby!
@DaKittenz

#2138 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 06:33 AM

The season is now officially a success.

#2139 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:09 AM

Its of little solace but the advanced metrics show that the Liverpool trashing was a once in a lifetime deal. Their expected goals was like 2.8 yet they scored 7 times. That's just insane.

#2140 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:57 AM

Reports of Liverpools resurgence may be exaggerated. Of course Arsenal barely pulled out a win against Bournemouth as well so...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=