#461 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Its way too oversimplistic to say the 5 percenters as just "thinking whites are the devil." They were an off shoot of the nation of Islam in Harlem and who sought to educate and raise up the blacks in the city. Science and math studies, mans relation to the practical and spiritual world were focuses. Develop yourself and open your mind, something of a will-to-power-and-truth. "Dropping science" comes from them. Yes, they said that God was black and that blacks were the "true" humans. This was based on the out-of-Africa realities of our human species. Was there hatred for white people? Well developing in 1960s New York you bet your ass there was something to that.

Jay-Z saying he believes in there organization "a little" doesn't mean he is some hard core racist. Their tenets entertwined with the development of hip hop, Wu-Tang in particular used a lot of their language. Jay Z can respect that history and some of the teachings without automatically being assumed a virulent racist.

Okay, rant over. Just wanted to try and and explain it a little. I'm sure people are going to believe what they want, but wearing a medallion and saying you agree with some of it is a lot more complex a thing than  Sterling saying blacks are treated like dogs around the world and I don't want to change that. Very different situations.

• BSLChrisStoner and mweb08 like this

#462 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Batting 1 for 2 is better than 0 for 2, right?

If Jay Z was still an owner and is as bad as Sterling, or at least bad enough to merit punishment (either of which I think are pretty big stretches at best), isn't it still better to have gotten one of them than none of them?

I never understand the logic that just because you can't (or aren't even trying to) solve all the problems that you shouldn't try and solve one of them.  If a cop sees two guys speeding on the highway, should he let both of them go since he can only pull over one of them and distribute punishment equally?

• BSLChrisStoner and The Epic like this

#463 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Which has nothing to do with what I said. Unless there is a huge silent population that sees Jay-Z as a racist and refuses to have any association with the NBA as a result that no one is discussing, the number of people that "know" of each is irrelevant.

You're completely missing the point.

#464 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

A lot of the skyboxes and floor seats are brought by white people so maybe they would stop going to games? Maybe they would have been pissed off with the owner and therefore that affects the bottom-line.

And I don't believe for a second players were willing to walk off the court or forfeit last night, it's easy to say it now because they didn't have to do it.

But they wouldn't. When Jay became part-owner, was there -any- negative change in money coming in? Did people refuse to go? Were there protests?

If Eminem took over the Pistons tomorrow, there would be no backlash. And that's a business decision.

#465 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

But they wouldn't. When Jay became part-owner, was there -any- negative change in money coming in? Did people refuse to go? Were there protests?

If Eminem took over the Pistons tomorrow, there would be no backlash. And that's a business decision.

Was he wearing that medallion in public when he owned the Nets? If so, was it known what the meaning was?

#466 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Its way too oversimplistic to say the 5 percenters as just "thinking whites are the devil." They were an off shoot of the nation of Islam in Harlem and who sought to educate and raise up the blacks in the city. Science and math studies, mans relation to the practical and spiritual world were focuses. Develop yourself and open your mind, something of a will-to-power-and-truth. "Dropping science" comes from them. Yes, they said that God was black and that blacks were the "true" humans. This was based on the out-of-Africa realities of our human species. Was there hatred for white people? Well developing in 1960s New York you bet your ass there was something to that.

Jay-Z saying he believes in there organization "a little" doesn't mean he is some hard core racist. Their tenets entertwined with the development of hip hop, Wu-Tang in particular used a lot of their language. Jay Z can respect that history and some of the teachings without automatically being assumed a virulent racist.

Okay, rant over. Just wanted to try and and explain it a little. I'm sure people are going to believe what they want, but wearing a medallion and saying you agree with some of it is a lot more complex a thing than  Sterling saying blacks are treated like dogs around the world and I don't want to change that. Very different situations.

Of course..he could also have an issue with white people.

Whatever the truth is, the image and meaning of the medallion should be something that is looked at and something that should be held against him.

#467 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Whatever the truth is, the image and meaning of the medallion should be something that is looked at and something that should be held against him.

I know you're not a reader, but knock yourself out and research the group. I'm not stopping you or anyone from looking into it.

I'm not saying Mr. Z is immune from questioning. I'm just saying that it's cultural legacy is way deeper than some cut and dry racism. Certainly not comparable to what Sterling has done.

#468 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

I know you're not a reader, but knock yourself out and research the group. I'm not stopping you or anyone from looking into it.
I'm not saying Mr. Z is immune from questioning. I'm just saying that it's cultural legacy is way deeper than some cut and dry racism. Certainly not comparable to what Sterling has done.

Not disputing that.....but, it doesn't mean Jay Z doesn't feel that way towards whites.

That's all I'm saying.

#469 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

You're completely missing the point.

Well thank you clearing that up :lol:

Would you care to explain why?

@DJ_McCann

#470 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

Was he wearing that medallion in public when he owned the Nets? If so, was it known what the meaning was?

Jay-Z has been no stranger to any of this. He used to intentionally not invite white people into the VIP room at his parties. His lyrics are...well...come on, now.

But he's well-respected by the mainstream audience, and his comments and actions, unless absolutely and utterly unforgivable (and maybe not even then), will not remove butts from seats and sponsors from board space.

We're talking about business, man. And he's a business, man!

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#471 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

So apparently Sterling asked the girl to record his thoughts and there's over 100 hours of their conversations.

#472 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,550 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

A lot of white people probably have no idea what that medallion stands for. Until this thread, I didn't. If it was more widely known, and he still owned a piece of the Nets, AND paying customers and sponsors were bailing because of it, then I would absolutely expect the NBA to take action.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#473 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

So apparently Sterling asked the girl to record his thoughts and there's over 100 hours of their conversations.

"...and I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for that meddling jump-off."

#474 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

Isn't it amazing how stupid a man that's worth $1.9 billion dollars really is?

#475 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

If that's true, the privacy issue is diminished IMO.

#476 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

He would have a open and shut case in court if he was illegally recorded. But not anymore it seems.
@BSLMikeRandall

#477 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

Report: Donald Sterling Has Cancer

The report says that Sterling was expected to die two years ago, but of course, he's an affluent person, so the treatment's affordable.

@DJ_McCann

#478 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

He would have a open and shut case in court if he was illegally recorded. But not anymore it seems.

Open and shut case against what?

#479 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

Open and shut case against what?

Fourth amendment. Reasonable expectation of privacy. If he was recorded without his consent, im sure thats not allowed and if he goes to court fight the NBAs fine and banning, he's got a case. Its not like the authorities had a wiretap based on probable cause. Its TMZ. No way its admissible in court.

Doesn't mean hes not a racist pig and should just resign. But the NBA and other leagues need to realize that their rules dont superceed the Constitution.
@BSLMikeRandall

#480 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,710 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Again, and loudly, A PRIVATE PARTY DOES NOT VIOLATE YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS, THESE PROVISIONS APPLY TO GOVERNMENT (FEDERAL AND STATE) ACTIONS ONLY.

• mweb08 and Matt_P like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=