BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:26 AM

Tid bits for today.

1. I did not realize that Tim Ream and Josh Sargent are from the same town. Not only that but they went to the same HS. 13 years apart but here they are playing together at the WC. 

2. Aussie fans are calling out France for resting players yesterday. France having already advanced and likely the group winner, chose to rest 9 starters ahead of Sunday's knockout match. Aussie fans were pissed because they figured going into their match with Denmark they could advance with a draw (tough enough as it was). But then Tunisia scored against France and the Socceroos would have to win to advance. Well it worked out as the Aussies scored and indeed beat Denmark to move on. But that hasn't stopped Aussie fans for bashing the French manager for resting players and not going for the W.  News Flash to Aussie Fans - It isn't any other countries job to do things that might help you to advance. They have to prepared themselves they best they can. EVERY manager on the planet would have made major rotation to their lineups under those circumstances. Welcome to big boy soccer.....lol

3. Expect to see earlier and more use of substitutions across all teams from here on out. Two things in play. First, players have not played 3 matches in 8 days (the last 8 catch up today) and those matches have typically gone much longer than historically has been the case with the new approach to added time. There have been lots of matches with 7-9 minutes added time per half and several matches have had over 10 minutes added in a half. So they haven't been playing a more normal 95-100 minutes total its been more like 100-105. Second, games don't end in draws now. They will have 30 minutes extra time. So take a 100 minute match and add 30 minutes extra time, plus extra time in the extra time period and these games could go over 130 minutes then PKs.

So what does this mean for the US for tomorrow? Well Berhalter has some serious planning to do.

a. The team play has been terrific so you don't want to disrupt what's working. If a guy is ready to go tomorrow then he needs to be out there.

b. But a key factor now has to be how many minutes can a player be expected to go? Lets use Tim Weah and Gio Reyna as examples. Assuming that fitness with Gio is still a question and you think he can go 45 at best. So do you start Weah and sub in Gio around 60? He should be able to finish off the last 30 minutes. But what if it goes long and then its tied and you have to go 30 more minutes. Now perhaps Gio is totally spent and its a problem having him out there. So do you start Gio and have Weah on the bench planning to bring him in at the half? This would alleviate that issue but do you want to start with a different lineup than what's been working? 

c. What do you do up top if Sargent isn't fit? If he's ok then I think he is clearly going to start. But what if he's not able to go at least a half then what? I think Wright has played himself off the team unless he would be a late sub when we are trying to get a set piece goal. His work rate has been unacceptable. So do you start Ferreira? He's pressing and speed play well against the Dutch but his physical size is a detriment. He's not an aerial threat especially against Virgil van Dijk. But then we haven't scored a header goal yet anyway so maybe that doesn't matter. Or do you finally put the best lineup out on the field we can and you start Weah, Reyna, Pulisic, and Aaronson with one of those first three playing a false #9?

I can't wait for tomorrow and I am excited to see who  Berhalter is going to role out for the starting lineup.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and glenn__davis like this

#462 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:42 AM

I hate to tell you this, because you’re clearly looking forward to it being tomorrow… but the US match is Saturday right?

Great post though.
  • DuffMan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#463 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:43 AM

The Ringer: The USMNT Passed Their World Cup Test. Now the Fun Part Begins.

#464 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, great post Steve.  As far as fitness goes, just clone Antonee Robinson and have him play all 11 positions.  That dude's motor never stops.

• DuffMan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#465 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:38 AM

Yeah, great post Steve.  As far as fitness goes, just clone Antonee Robinson and have him play all 11 positions.  That dude's motor never stops.

Adams as well, he's been  all over the pitch.

All this talk about the youth of the team, but I think that may be an advantage as well.  Some of these older guys may be tiring a bit sooner than many of our younger guys.  

#466 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:55 AM

Gotta feel for Lukaku. Good lord. That was hard to watch honestly. Down goes Belgium in what has to be considered a massive disappointment.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#467 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:58 AM

Gotta feel for Lukaku. Good lord. That was hard to watch honestly. Down goes Belgium in what has to be considered a massive disappointment.

Nobody likes to lose.

Heck one Iranian citizen appears to have been shot by Iranian security for blowing his horn in despair after Iran lost their match.

#468 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:02 PM

Nobody likes to lose.

Heck one Iranian citizen appears to have been shot by Iranian security for blowing his horn in despair after Iran lost their match.

Not despair. He was celebrating the Iran loss in protest. So they shot him in the head. Great country. https://www.cnn.com/...intl/index.html
  • Old Man likes this

#469 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:24 PM

Not despair. He was celebrating the Iran loss in protest. So they shot him in the head. Great country. https://www.cnn.com/...intl/index.html

thanks for the clarification

#470 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:27 PM

Netherlands 0 - 0 USA

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#471 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:27 PM

Ratings are out from Tuesday's US-Iran game.  In the top 5 markets that watched the game

DC was #1 and Baltimore was # 4 and yet we can't even get to host a WC game in '26, absurd

#472 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:43 PM

Netherlands 0 - 0 USA

Why do you keep posting that?

#473 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:45 PM

He’s the Soccer Swami Pedro - keeping us all informed. Doing a little bit. I love it lol.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#474 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:48 PM

If I don’t who will

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#475 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:29 PM

Had a feeling Japan would win today, chickened out and bet on a tie. c'est la vie

#476 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:34 PM

Final group stage matches are amazing when big things are on the line
  • You Play to Win the Game, glenn__davis and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#477 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:42 PM

Our friendly loss to Japan not looking nearly as bad now
  • DuffMan likes this
@DaKittenz

#478 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:35 PM

For a fair bit of the second half both Spain and Germany were headed home.....What a crazy afternoon for soccer!

#479 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:09 PM

Had a feeling Japan would win today, chickened out and bet on a tie. c'est la vie

Trust the gut. Especially if its strong gut. You know there are gut feelings and then GUT feelings

• BobPhelan likes this

#480 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:18 PM

Well this guy bet on a Japanese win!

All the yen!

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=