• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

@JayBilas: Go to http://t.co/qpH4tNnIpH, type in "Manziel" in upper right search box, hit enter. This comes up. http://t.co/N7KNvXIu24

Bilas is a great Twitter follow.

He crushes the NCAA daily...its hilarious.

It really is. Sprinkled in those tweets about the NCAA search box was one of him and Mark Emmert.

#22 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

@ESPNAndyKatz: NCAA pres Mark Emmert comes out strong saying NCAA won't be in business of selling school jerseys. He said NCAA will exit that business.

Absolutely hilarious.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2022 - 09:37 PM

Yahoo!: Longtime NCAA president Mark Emmert announces resignation

Good riddance!

• Mackus likes this

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 12:03 PM

The Athletic (paywall): With Mark Emmert retiring, who looks presidential? Identifying 10 top candidates.

Who the next president is, and his/her background, might say a lot about where the organization sees itself in the future.

#25 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 04:53 PM

Condoleezza Rice would be perfect to stick at the top of the rotting, fetid corpse that is collegiate athletics. 

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 05:39 PM

If the NCAA wants to survive intact, it needs to appoint someone who understands that modern day college athletics cannot exist as a one-size-fits-all entity. The same rules that apply to the University of Maryland aren't going to work for Goucher College, and vice versa.

As much as people don't want change, it's inevitable. While I don't think the day is on the near horizon, I do think the endgame is that we'll see players in the big conferences, primarily the revenue sports, that are paid employees of the school. Might as well prepare for it now, before the courts force you to adapt all at once and all hell breaks loose. (see: NIL)

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,986 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:40 AM

ESPN: Forget NIL -- these are the real issues college leaders need to solve

https://www.espn.com...ders-need-solve

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,986 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 08:24 AM

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 11:06 AM

Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker will be the next NCAA president. He’ll take over March 1. His second term as governor ends in January.

Interesting choice. No prior college administrative experience, which I think is actually a plus. He, his wife, and his two sons are all former college athletes. As a two-term Republican in a heavily Democratic state, he’s very likely a pragmatic person.

Grant Hill was apparently a finalist. He’d have been a great choice, but imagine he’d be way too pro players for the NCAA.

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:00 AM

You don’t want to read too much into the questioning by judges at a hearing, but yesterday still was probably not a good day for the NCAA before the Third Circuit.

https://www.sportico...caa-1234710033/

A three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit heard dueling arguments from attorneys for the NCAA and for former Villanova football player Trey Johnson and other athletes over whether Division I college athletes are employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). 

To put it mildly, the panel regarded the NCAA’s core principle that college athletes shouldn’t be paid as unpersuasive and incongruous, and the judges signaled they view college athletes as employees.

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 05:16 PM

Big news today on two separate fronts. Feldman has a whole thread to follow up his tweet that outlines the NLRB complaint, and how it might affect every school, not just USC. IIRC, the California bill would only require revenue sharing, and not that athletes would be employees.

Gabe Feldman

Big news: The NLRB Region issued a formal complaint against USC, the Pac-12, and the NCAA today. The complaint alleges that the college athletes "have been and are employees within the meaning" of the NLRB and have been misclassified as "non-employee student athletes."

Steve Berkowitz

California Assembly Appropriations Committee passes bill that would create possibility of revenue sharing for college athletes. Bill was passed with only Democrats support. There was an indication it may be amended further. Bill now goes to the Assembly floor.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 11:18 AM

AP Top 25

NCAA President Charlie Baker calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes

https://apnews.com/a..._source=Twitter

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 01:04 PM

You may have read yesterday that the NCAA is investigating Tennessee football for violations of NIL policies (which the Vols have, along with practically everyone else). Now the attorneys general for Tennessee and Virginia have filed a motion in federal court for a TRO to prohibit the NCAA from enforcing NIL policies. I'm not sure that this is The Big One (the case that blows up amateurism in college sports), but we're getting very close.

https://twitter.com/...732371764265211

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 08:24 PM

ESPN: Labor board regional official clears way for Dartmouth hoops union

As expected, Dartmouth will appeal.

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 01:27 AM

You may have read yesterday that the NCAA is investigating Tennessee football for violations of NIL policies (which the Vols have, along with practically everyone else). Now the attorneys general for Tennessee and Virginia have filed a motion in federal court for a TRO to prohibit the NCAA from enforcing NIL policies. I'm not sure that this is The Big One (the case that blows up amateurism in college sports), but we're getting very close.

https://twitter.com/...732371764265211

Read somewhere that college athletes basically engage in free agency with no restrictions right now. They have more freedom of choice than a pro athlete. “Enter the portal and we’ll take you for x amount,” type of deals. Which wasn’t what NIL was intended for, but what it’s become.

Brings up a valid question. Should college athletes have that type of freedom? I think student athletes should. If we’re going back to pretending it’s amateurism. But if you’re getting paid, I think it should come with some kind of binding contract.

I think there should be an open portal with players getting zero pay but can also play right away. Hop around wherever you want. Or they pay the kids out of high school, no portal, they can only transfer as a grad student. No penalty for entering the draft of their sport early. It should be one or the other. Not both.

The money and the contractual obligation. Or the freedom of choice.
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 09:34 AM

Read somewhere that college athletes basically engage in free agency with no restrictions right now. They have more freedom of choice than a pro athlete. “Enter the portal and we’ll take you for x amount,” type of deals. Which wasn’t what NIL was intended for, but what it’s become.

Brings up a valid question. Should college athletes have that type of freedom? I think student athletes should. If we’re going back to pretending it’s amateurism. But if you’re getting paid, I think it should come with some kind of binding contract.

I think there should be an open portal with players getting zero pay but can also play right away. Hop around wherever you want. Or they pay the kids out of high school, no portal, they can only transfer as a grad student. No penalty for entering the draft of their sport early. It should be one or the other. Not both.

Don’t worry - the unionization of college athletics is coming. 

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 09:48 AM

Don’t worry - the unionization of college athletics is coming. 

I'm sure they will have the best interests of the athletes in mind.

[eyeroll]

@BSLMikeRandall

#38 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 10:10 AM

I'm sure they will have the best interests of the athletes in mind.

[eyeroll]

If the amateur model is truly dead, even if the NCAA fights it all the way to SCOTUS, you’re likely going to see unions engaging their collective bargaining power on salary and working conditions (that will likely include travel, which will throw the Big Ten and ACC’s clown-shoe footprints out of whack). 

IMO the scholarship athlete model will die off and they’ll become employee-athletes. 

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 10:57 AM

At the other end of this is collective bargaining where athletes get a share of revenues in exchange for movement restrictions similar to pro leagues. That’s the only end game I can see. Just a question of how we get there and how long it takes.

#40 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 10:59 AM

If the amateur model is truly dead, even if the NCAA fights it all the way to SCOTUS, you’re likely going to see unions engaging their collective bargaining power on salary and working conditions (that will likely include travel, which will throw the Big Ten and ACC’s clown-shoe footprints out of whack). 

IMO the scholarship athlete model will die off and they’ll become employee-athletes. 

Just put all the old conferences back the way they were for everything but football.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=