BSL: Ryan Minor on Delmonico, Walker and Ohlman

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Wrote about Delmonico, Walker and Ohlman. Got the thoughts of Keys manager Ryan Minor on the trio. http://baltimorespor...ker-and-ohlman/ I spoke with Minor over the weekend, so Walker's been promoted since we spoke. A ton of good thoughts from Minor and thanks to Frederick Keys PR for setting it up. I'll have stuff on Eduardo Rodriguez, Zach Davies, Tim Berry and Miguel Chalas soon, too. I'll write down everything Minor said in our conversation in a place below...some of the stuff didn't fit into the flow of the story but it's good stuff.

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas, Chris B and 1 other like this
@BSLLukeJackson

#2 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Here's some stuff that didn't quite make it into my piece...

Ryan Minor on Nicky Delmonico:

“He’s a guy with a pretty high ceiling. He’s getting some stuff thrown at him that he hasn’t seen before as far as the way they’re pitching him, but he’s doing a pretty good job. His bat’s going to carry him as far as he goes.”

Minor on what Delmonico has to do as he climbs the ladder:

“Being consistent with his approach every day as far as making adjustments to what pitchers are trying to do to him in the second half. The second and third time we played the teams, they started pitching him different ways and he just does a good job making adjustments but I think if he can make them a little bit sooner as he moves up through the ranks, it’ll be more beneficial to him. Try to create good habits as far as understanding what they’re trying to do and pitch recognition at the higher levels. Once he becomes more consistent doing that, he’s going to have a tremendous upside.”

Minor on if third base is Delmonico's future:

“As of now, that’s what he’s going to do, so until he plays his way out of it and whatever the organization wants him to do, he’s gonna play over there and be consistent with what he’s doing and hopefully get better. It’s one of those things where he has to play defense to play in the big leagues and he’s still young and he’s still got a chance to do better over there so I think he’s going to be good in the long run.”

Minor on Christian Walker's approach at the plate:

“His strike zone knowledge is probably even better than Nicky’s at times. But he’s more of an advanced hitter; he went to college, Nicky came right out of high school."

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLLukeJackson

#3 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Good job Luke, and much appreciated. I like all three guys, but Ohlman a bit above Delmonico and Walker (in that order). Ohlman seems like the one with the best chance to be a beast. I wonder if he's played at 1B at all, and whether he projects as a C/1B down the road? 

#4 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Good job Luke, and much appreciated. I like all three guys, but Ohlman a bit above Delmonico and Walker (in that order). Ohlman seems like the one with the best chance to be a beast. I wonder if he's played at 1B at all, and whether he projects as a C/1B down the road? 

Probably a good question for Tucker. I've only seen Ohlman catch once.

@BSLLukeJackson

#5 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Yea, awesome work Luke.

Always good to hear directly from the guys that see him every day.

Like talked about, Ohlman has come a LONG way as a catcher. When I first saw him, he wasn't very good at all. Poor footwork, arm was very inconsistent, had some trouble blocking.

Now, his arm is MUCH better, footwork has improved a little bit.

He might end up off the C position, but he has improved drastically since 2-3 years ago.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,939 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Wasn't Ohlman one of the guys who got the big bonus later in the draft with a lot of the savings from taking a below-slot pick in the first round (Hobgood)?

Nice to see him start to establish himself as a legit prospect and finally get some value out of that decision.  He's been off the radar for the most part (at least mine), but he's crushing the ball this season and his walk-rate is very encouraging.

What's the average age for the Carolina league?  22 seems about right, maybe a tiny shade on the old side for a prospect.  If he keeps raking, he'll likely move up soon, right?

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Wasn't Ohlman one of the guys who got the big bonus later in the draft with a lot of the savings from taking a below-slot pick in the first round (Hobgood)? Nice to see him start to establish himself as a legit prospect and finally get some value out of that decision. He's been off the radar for the most part (at least mine), but he's crushing the ball this season and his walk-rate is very encouraging. What's the average age for the Carolina league? 22 seems about right, maybe a tiny shade on the old side for a prospect. If he keeps raking, he'll likely move up soon, right?

Yeah I believe it was him and Cameron Coffey. I remember his bonus was at least $100,000.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,939 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yeah I believe it was him and Cameron Coffey. I remember his bonus was at least $100,000.

It was nearly a million, just looked it up.  I bash Jordan for his bad picks, but this is one that is starting to turn over into the good column. 

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

It was nearly a million, just looked it up. I bash Jordan for his bad picks, but this is one that is starting to turn over into the good column.
I knew it was high but wow. It took him awhile but I'm glad he's finally healthy and performing.

#10 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

2009's overslots, from what I could find:

Michael Ohlman 995K

Cameron Coffey 990K

Mychal Givens 800K

Jarret Martin 200K

Tim Berry 125K

Coffey had TJ surgery shortly before he signed. He was a big, tall, projectable lefty whose velocity had perked up in the spring before the draft. The O's signed him with the idea of rehabbing him and gambling on his projection. Saw him in Aberdeen last year -- he had no fastball or arm speed left. Nice shape on the breaking ball, but that thing might've been in the high 60s. O's released him this spring.

Givens was generally seen as a reliever out of high school, but the O's drafted him as a shortstop. It's possible that the Orioles really liked him as a middle infielder. It's also possible that Givens wanted to be a position player and wouldn't sign unless he was given that opportunity, with the mound always being a fallback option. I saw him plenty in Aberdeen. Nice arm from short; not much else.

Martin was traded for Dana Eveland. Looks like he's having a rough go of it in the hitter friendly Cal League this summer.

I haven't seen Berry pitch, but Tucker has. He was in the same situation as Coffey upon being drafted -- TJ surgery for a tall, projectable lefty. However, Berry's stuff came back and he's actually one of their better developmental successes in the past few years. Might have a future with the club.

@BSLLukeJackson

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Excellent work here Luke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=