Photo

Sony delivers "knockout blow" to Microsoft?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Sony saying onething and then doing another.....

http://kotaku.com/th...-game-512643240

Yep. They all WANT to be there cause it means more money for them, so if one company imposes something like that, look for the rest to follow suit. Just treading a fine line with class action suit or something like EA got hit with a while back for creating a Monopoly with Madden.

In the end the difference will be the $499 for xbox and $399 for PS, and the exclusives each system has.

@JeremyMStrain

#22 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Yep. They all WANT to be there cause it means more money for them, so if one company imposes something like that, look for the rest to follow suit. Just treading a fine line with class action suit or something like EA got hit with a while back for creating a Monopoly with Madden.

In the end the difference will be the $499 for xbox and $399 for PS, and the exclusives each system has.

That doesn't make any sense. The EA suit involved the fact that EA had exclusive licensing rights with NFL/NCAA/Arena, right? What does that have to do with anything being discussed in the linked article?

@NickJFaleris

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

That doesn't make any sense. The EA suit involved the fact that EA had exclusive licensing rights with NFL/NCAA/Arena, right? What does that have to do with anything being discussed in the linked article?

They created a monopoly that didn't allow for any competition. Limiting you to having to purchase full retail games and killing the game rental and second hand markets would be creating a market where the only choice you have is to purchase games at whatever price they set.
@JeremyMStrain

#24 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

They created a monopoly that didn't allow for any competition. Limiting you to having to purchase full retail games and killing the game rental and second hand markets would be creating a market where the only choice you have is to purchase games at whatever price they set.

How would this not allow for any competition? I could start up a game company tomorrow, release my own console, and produce my own games.

EA sports was about having exclusive rights to NFL, NCAA, AFL rights, no? I admit to only following the case to the extent co-workers discussed it. 

@NickJFaleris

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

How would this not allow for any competition? I could start up a game company tomorrow, release my own console, and produce my own games.

EA sports was about having exclusive rights to NFL, NCAA, AFL rights, no? I admit to only following the case to the extent co-workers discussed it. 

No options for the consumers. It was a class action by gamers angry that they were forced to buy madden. Could see something similar about being forced to buy new after 30 years of having rental/used market.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Well in theory except they've put the burden on individual publishing companies and said they wouldn't do it themselves (ms). So its a moot point now.
@JeremyMStrain

#27 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

No options for the consumers. It was a class action by gamers angry that they were forced to buy madden. Could see something similar about being forced to buy new after 30 years of having rental/used market.

But the issue is gamers didn't have the option to buy an NFL licensed game anywhere else. Why wouldn't publishers have the right to protect their intellectual property? I guess I don't see any monopoly-related issues. 

@NickJFaleris

#28 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

And let's not forget how much better online play is with XBOX Live.  I am also very interested in the new Kinect.  With two little ones I'm sure there are going to be some fun games for them.

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

But the issue is gamers didn't have the option to buy an NFL licensed game anywhere else. Why wouldn't publishers have the right to protect their intellectual property? I guess I don't see any monopoly-related issues. 

Yeah I was thinking outloud with the monopoly thing, but meant more of a gamer uprising class action. I guess game sales will take care of this in a roundabout way anyway, but with all the negative feedback I can't imagine some kind of lashing out from the core community (not the casual gamers that only buy the biggest titles but the ones that buy like 10-20 games per year).
@JeremyMStrain

#30 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Yep. They all WANT to be there cause it means more money for them, so if one company imposes something like that, look for the rest to follow suit. Just treading a fine line with class action suit or something like EA got hit with a while back for creating a Monopoly with Madden. In the end the difference will be the $499 for xbox and $399 for PS, and the exclusives each system has.
And let's not forget how much better online play is with XBOX Live. I am also very interested in the new Kinect. With two little ones I'm sure there are going to be some fun games for them.
Yeah with a 19 month old and probably another one on the way the Kinect is enticing. But I have a PS3 now, PS4 is cheaper and doesn't cost to use online. Plus a better name...

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Yeah with a 19 month old and probably another one on the way the Kinect is enticing. But I have a PS3 now, PS4 is cheaper and doesn't cost to use online. Plus a better name...

Does cost to use online now. Well anything multiplayer at least. Some features will be free to use online but MS has that too (gold vs silver). But PS+ is more expensive than XBL now too.

Sony was just sneaky about how they leaked their bad news where MS got tore apart for theirs.

@JeremyMStrain

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm pretty sure Sony won't include a nice sized hard drive in their $400 version either... so there's that to consider. 

#33 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm pretty sure Sony won't include a nice sized hard drive in their $400 version either... so there's that to consider.

500GB and it can still be switched out.

Edit: How expensive is Live?
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hadn't heard that, that's awesome. Thanks.

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

If you auto-renew it's $60, if you buy a card for it during the year you can get it for $40-45 all the time. (Got mine for $40 on Amazon a couple months ago).

@JeremyMStrain

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Does cost to use online now. Well anything multiplayer at least. Some features will be free to use online but MS has that too (gold vs silver). But PS+ is more expensive than XBL now too. Sony was just sneaky about how they leaked their bad news where MS got tore apart for theirs.
I don't play multiplayer online anyway, would only use it for downloads, updates, etc. I'm still weighing my options. Probably gonna wait until the first price drops anyway.

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

I don't play multiplayer online anyway, would only use it for downloads, updates, etc. I'm still weighing my options. Probably gonna wait until the first price drops anyway.

Yeah I don't really play traditional MP, but I play a lot of coop with my brother, a couple friends and my brother in law. The updates and stuff come free, but DL games is where it's really going to come in handy.

I preordered an xbox, but I haven't decided if I'm actually going to get it or not. At $400 I was pretty sure I was, at $500 I'm not as sold.

@JeremyMStrain

#38 Spoonless

Spoonless
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCranston, RI

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

I might get an X1 eventually, but not for a couple years into it, after a couple price breaks.

I pre-ordered a PS4.  Yes, you now have to pay in order to play multiplayer, but I'd be getting their Plus service anyway so it doesn't really affect me.  If I decided not to, I wouldn't be able to play online, but at least I would still have access to my entertainment apps, such as Netflix (which remains locked behind teh XBL Gold paywall unless they change things).

The only Xbox exclusive that ever really interested me was Halo, and I'll miss being able to play it at release, but I'll get over it.  PS4 has plenty of exlusives announced, and it's also getting Bungie's new game and that Tom Clancy game, which are two titles I was pretty excited about.  Going by the list, it looks like X1 has 8 exclusives announced at E3, while PS4 has 5 announced.  It should be noted that the PS3 has 5 exclusives on the list, while the 360 has none.

http://i.imgur.com/ZWK5YzZ.png

Anyway, I've never had an issue with any of my PS systems, so I don't have the negative opinion of them that some others have.  Likewise, I never got a RROD on my 360 so I never had an issue with any of my Xbox systems. 

For me, it mostly comes down to price.  If the X1 had a Kinect-less option for $399 I could see it being more competitive for me.  Plus, Playstation gets more RPGs, since many JRPG don't end up on the Xbox, and that's a genre I quite enjoy.

#39 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Yep, that's a very solid take to me.

For me, I like playing coop with my brothers and the online stuff is so much better with Live. I wish there was a version without Kinect for $100 less, but I guess I gotta eat it to stick with the one I've got.

Talking to a person that works for Bethesda, the way I had it explained was that they are leaving the ability to force people to buy online codes in order to activate used games as well as online stuff, but PS4 has the exact same thing going on.

A lot of witchhunting going on right now.

@JeremyMStrain

#40 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

I preordered an xbox, but I haven't decided if I'm actually going to get it or not. At $400 I was pretty sure I was, at $500 I'm not as sold.

If you preorder the XBOX now does it require you to pay in full now, or just a deposit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=