Photo

Sony delivers "knockout blow" to Microsoft?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

It seems like that's what all the headlines are saying this morning.

1. PS4 is $399 out of the gate (XBOX One is $499)
2. No used game restrictions
3. Online connectivity isn't required

I own both the PS3 and XBOX 360, and truth be told, I've always leaned more towards the latter. That said, Sony has an awful lot going right for it this generation. I think it'd be in Microsoft's best interests to make some changes to their policies between now and their system launch. Just my two cents.

Thoughts!?

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

I  pretty much swore off Microsoft after having 2 360s go up. Too early to call for the knockout blow before the fight really begins but Sony has taken the right approach so far. I wont be buying a new console for a few years anyway so we'll see how things stand then.

#3 Spoonless

Spoonless
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCranston, RI

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

I don't really care about the used game thing so much, but better specs, no always-on DRM and no always-on camera/mic peripheral I won't ever use, all for $100 less. Sure, there's no Halo, but Bungie's new game looks awesome and is on PS4. Halo is really the only Xbox exclusive I am interested in at all. <br /><br />I'm not a huge fan of the PS controllers. I find the Xbox ones to be more comfortable, but I'm sure there'll be some Xbox-shaped controllers from a decent third party at some point.<br /><br />It kind of stinks that you'll have to pay for PS+ to play online, but their Plus service is pretty awesome anyway, and your entertainment apps like Netflix won't be behind that paywall like with Xbox Live.

#4 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

My thoughts are that I wish Sega would get back into the console business.

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

Alot can change between now and November so I'll wait until then before deciding which console to get , have a 360 right now.  People shell out 400-500 bucks for a phone every couple of years why not more for a console every 7 years?    The 100 dollar difference is probably because the XBOX will include the Kinect.

#6 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Microsoft is desperately trying to commit suicide.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

I wish I gamed more.  I occasionally play my PS3, but only sports games (Madden, Tiger Woods, The Show) with my roommate while we're pregaming.  He's moving out in a few weeks.  Used to play a ton of Rock Band / Guitar Hero back when that was a thing, but that's completely disappeared and I sold my equipment for it.  Can't see me playing too often moving forward.  I haven't really gotten into any single-player or online games since college.  I doubt I'll be buying either of the new consoles.

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

I don't think they did. Sony has far less exclusives, and when that update of theirs bricked my ps3 and they had no interest in fixing it, they lost my business for life.

@JeremyMStrain

#9 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Something else I haven't seen yet is are games stil going to cost 60 bucks?

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

Something else I haven't seen yet is are games stil going to cost 60 bucks?

Haven't announced yet. Part of the speculation is that if MS is going to give publishers the ability to restrict rental/trade ins, then they may force them to sell games at a lower price point to balance it out. Sony is waiting for MS to make a move.

Also, important to note, MS hasn't done anything as far as used/trades, all MS games will be able to go, but they are giving publishers the ability, which is going to crush their bottom like (publishers don't have the wiggle room that MS does since that's all they do) and EA has already had the blow back from the paying for online stuff they squashed, so I imagine that not many will go through with doing it.

@JeremyMStrain

#11 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

I don't think I understand this whole "used game restrictions" thing.  Does this mean you can't borrow a game from a friend or rent one?

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#12 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I don't think I understand this whole "used game restrictions" thing.  Does this mean you can't borrow a game from a friend or rent one?

If I read correctly,  you can still do this with the XBOX One as long as the friend you are borrowing from is on your XBOX Live friends list.

#13 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Who really knows, but the following was written 4 days ago.

Last week, Microsoft finally provided some additional information on how the "game licensing" policy will work for the company's newly introduced Xbox One. It was our first peek behind the curtain on how discs, digital downloads, game sharing, and Xbox Live accounts will work and interact on the upcoming game console.

The new policy explicitly states that the new system was designed so that "game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers." But reading between the lines of that lawyery language, most gamers took that to mean that the aftermarket for the buying and selling of used Xbox One games was dead on arrival.

http://reviews.cnet....-as-we-know-it/

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#14 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

The company is also clamping down on the ability of gamers to share titles with friends. Microsoft said no fees will be charged when games are transferred to buddies. But gamers can only share games with people who have been on their friends list for at least 30 days. And each game can only be given once.

And while Microsoft isn't requiring the Xbox One to be connected constantly, gamers will only be able to play offline for up to 24 hours on a primary console, or 1 hour if they are logged onto a separate console accessing their library of titles. At that point, offline gaming will be disabled until players re-establish a Web connection. Xbox One owners still will be able to watch live TV and play Blu-ray disks and standard DVDs with the device.

http://news.cnet.com...aming-check-in/

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

If I read correctly,  you can still do this with the XBOX One as long as the friend you are borrowing from is on your XBOX Live friends list.

The semantics involved have been confusing things.

They are using the term lending, or borrowing here to mean gifting, not to get it back.

The new xbox is all about digital licensing.

You can actually SHARE all your games, with up to 10 "friends or family", but you can only have one person playing a game from your collection at a time (besides you).

The issue is going to come into play when you want to play multiplayer or coop and need  a second copy of the game I think. They haven't announced if you can both play coop using the same digital license that one of you has.

They also haven't officially decided on the amount of time between online check ins. They could scrap it all together, make it a week, a month etc. but they haven't liked the feedback they've got on it so far.

@JeremyMStrain

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

• Mark Carver likes this

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

Of course sharing PS4 games aren't going to do much good since they will force an update that turns your system into a paperweight and then give an 80's sitcom shrug and say "sowwwwwyyyyyy" with a big cheesy smile.

@JeremyMStrain

#18 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Who really knows, but the following was written 4 days ago.

http://reviews.cnet....-as-we-know-it/

Essentially, it will be easier in many states to buy a gun than a workable XBox game. Hahaha; dolts.

• Adam Wolff likes this
@NickJFaleris

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Also, under the distraction of MS announcements, Sony is also leaving whether games can be resold or traded to publishers (which they also did with PS3).

Kinda sounds like a work around to avoid collusion. The entire industry has wanted this a long time, but if the only console manufacturers force it, it's almost begging a lawsuit. If it's left as an option for individual publishers, can anyone really say anything?

@JeremyMStrain

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Sony saying onething and then doing another.....

http://kotaku.com/th...-game-512643240

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=