#141 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I think that's 2 outings in a row where McFarland let in all of the inherited runners (or 2 of 3, at least, can't remember if I'm missing one or not).

That's cause he's not ready for those pressure filled roles yet. We've talked this year about him transitioning to that maybe as the season goes on, but he should be in AA, not a ML pen. It's par for the course with Rule 5 guys.

He was certainly holding his own... but has hit a bump that's for sure. Tonight's game wasn't a pressure filled situation though, at least in my opinion... the game was already over.

#142 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

He was certainly holding his own... but has hit a bump that's for sure. Tonight's game wasn't a pressure filled situation though, at least in my opinion... the game was already over.

It was in the sense, the game could blow open which it did. But I don't really think of it as high-leverage. Although different positions, they kept Flaherty last year when many thought they wouldn't, I'm wondering how much longer they can trot him out?

@levineps

#143 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Any runners on is pressure for a RP, cause their job is solely to NOT let inherited runners score. It wasn't high leverage like game on the line 1 run game with 2 on or anything. But for a guy trying to prove that he can contribute to a ML team when he should be in AA, coming in with runners on is pressure filled.

There are so many varying degrees of situations for RP that I started listing them and it got too long, so basically, Buck is starting him in the baby pool with floaties on and letting him learn how to swim one step at a time.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#144 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Any runners on is pressure for a RP, cause their job is solely to NOT let inherited runners score. It wasn't high leverage like game on the line 1 run game with 2 on or anything. But for a guy trying to prove that he can contribute to a ML team when he should be in AA, coming in with runners on is pressure filled.

There are so many varying degrees of situations for RP that I started listing them and it got too long, so basically, Buck is starting him in the baby pool with floaties on and letting him learn how to swim one step at a time.

I hear ya. No pressure watching that, as a fan, because the game was over... certainly enough for him, trying to earn his keep and having runners on. I agree with you after giving it some thought. Not high leverage isn't the same as not high pressure.

#145 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

I hear ya. No pressure watching that, as a fan, because the game was over... certainly enough for him, trying to earn his keep and having runners on. I agree with you after giving it some thought. Not high leverage isn't the same as not high pressure.

Exactly. I started to rank it out and was on like #7 and barely half way done, so i gave up, but you get the idea.

It's like an everyday position player has to hit or he's going to lose his spot. As a RP, you have to not give up runs, ESPECIALLY runners on base when you came in the game. That's how you earn a manager's trust and playing time.

He's just not there yet. He might not ever get there, but he's too good to give back for 25k, he just needs some time, like Flaherty has needed. Remember, he should have been in AA last year, so he's still developing some himself.

@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=