#381 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

It just seems like the pitching isn;t going to be good enough this year. We have a core though, with a good manager. We should be .500+ for the next few years. Now, we'll see  if PA is willing and DD is able to make enough moves to make this a true title contender.

Ah, giving up on the season in May. I missed this, guys :)

@DJ_McCann

#382 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Chris, it's possible someone would value him.

But I bet a lot of teams have a Strop like guy in their system.

And if you want to ignore the ERA for Julio..that's fine...look at the walks and homers allowed...they were horrible. He wasn't that good but teams did keep giving him a chance because he threw hard...which is why Strop will get chances.

But if you lost him tomorrow, you likely would never end up caring.

I think that gets lost on people at times. Teams have guys with these types of arms. Pedro Strop isn;t that uncommon

#383 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

What a difference a year makes with this bullpen. Coming into tonight, the ERA for the pen was 3.40 (It was 3.00 last year). That's not a huge difference, but it's shown itself most in games like this. Games where we're behind, but not by much, and have a fighting chance, but guys like Patton and Strop or Hunter (earlier in the season, not now) are giving it right back. Last year, they shut the door and we'd claw back.

#384 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

You know what those teams may not have? A Strop-like guy in their system who has shown success at the major-league level. And for parts of two seasons.

So what? You bring them up and let them show you that.

#385 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

THhkCWG.jpg

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#386 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Chris, it's possible someone would value him.

But I bet a lot of teams have a Strop like guy in their system.

And if you want to ignore the ERA for Julio..that's fine...look at the walks and homers allowed...they were horrible. He wasn't that good but teams did keep giving him a chance because he threw hard...which is why Strop will get chances.

But if you lost him tomorrow, you likely would never end up caring.

Right, Julio was an average ish reliever who continued to get chances and be valued because he threw hard.

Which, as you said, is why Strop will continue to get chances.

You might not care if you lost Strop tomorrow.... but I see no reason to find out.

O's lose... 12-6... go get them tomorrow.

#387 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

What a difference a year makes with this bullpen. Coming into tonight, the ERA for the pen was 3.40 (It was 3.00 last year). That's not a huge difference, but it's shown itself most in games like this. Games where we're behind, but not by much, and have a fighting chance, but guys like Patton and Strop or Hunter (earlier in the season, not now) are giving it right back. Last year, they shut the door and we'd claw back.

My prediction for the pen this year was to be around 3.3-3.4, which was in the league average range last year.

Only 42% of the pens, in the last 10 years, have posted back to back top 5 BP ERA seasons and most of those were the same teams(minn, oak and sea).

This isn't a surprise...the biggest difference are the high leverage situations.

#388 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Right, Julio was an average ish reliever who continued to get chances and be valued because he threw hard.

Which, as you said, is why Strop will continue to get chances.

You might not care if you lost Strop tomorrow.... but I see no reason to find out.

O's lose... 12-6... go get them tomorrow.

Arrieta is a pretty good reason IMO.

#389 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

So what? You bring them up and let them show you that.

You can say that about anyone at any position. But teams don't do that; they go for the guy who has showed something over the guy that might show something.

@DJ_McCann

#390 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

Ah, giving up on the season in May. I missed this, guys :)

I'm not giving up. Point blank, the pitching has to improve for us to be a 90 win team, or whatever it will take to make the playoffs. I'm not sure I see it getting good enough. No one should. I'm still gonna watch and root every night. Good team, I'm not sure we're good enough. One thing is certain, it's obvious we aren;t going to do it the way we did it last year but we all knew that.

And finally F you. Don't mock  me.

• SportsGuy likes this

#391 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Terrible defense tonight, terrible bullpen tonight, I'm looking forward to forgetting about this one very quickly.
@beginthebegin71

#392 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Arrieta is a pretty good reason IMO.

It's not an either/or situation.

Who has options in the bullpen? I know Strop doesn't. Does Patton?

@DJ_McCann

#393 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm not giving up. Point blank, the pitching has to improve for us to be a 90 win team, or whatever it will take to make the playoffs. I'm not sure I see it getting good enough. No one should. I'm still gonna watch and root every night. Good team, I'm not sure we're good enough. One thing is certain, it's obvious we aren;t going to do it the way we did it last year but we all knew that.

I just think you're overreacting. Which is fine in the context of one game, but less so when it comes to the big picture.

Tillman is pitching fine. Chen will come back soon and he'll likely be fine. Hammel had an OK start last night, and we'll need to see if that's a blip or the start of him coming around. Gonzalez is average. Garcia is...well, I'll let that one go.

We've got four pitchers in the 'pen who are absolutely solid. And I didn't even include Johnson in that, though he'll work through his issues. Basically, it comes down to one or two rotation spots and two bullpen spots. That can be enough to hurt a team, but it isn't enough to kill a team. Especially one that hits and fields as well as this one can.

@DJ_McCann

#394 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

My prediction for the pen this year was to be around 3.3-3.4, which was in the league average range last year.

Only 42% of the pens, in the last 10 years, have posted back to back top 5 BP ERA seasons and most of those were the same teams(minn, oak and sea).

This isn't a surprise...the biggest difference are the high leverage situations.

Yeah, it's not a surprise... but it's just noticeable. We're seeing the difference in a big way. It's cost us quite a few games already, IMO.

#395 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Tough loss. Started off so fun with Machado three doubles and Gausman looking good early. At least there isn't an off day tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=