http://espn.go.com/n...ion-sources-say

@levineps

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,390 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

What is the point of the Cavs leaking this? There is zero chance of Jackson going to Cleveland.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

What is the point of the Cavs leaking this? There is zero chance of Jackson going to Cleveland.

I highly doubt he goes there myself, to show their fans, that they are "trying?" Just speculating here.

@levineps

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I highly doubt he goes there myself, to show their fans, that they are "trying?" Just speculating here.

That'd be my guess too.

I thought I read last week that they were going to re-hire Brown. 

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

That'd be my guess too.

I thought I read last week that they were going to re-hire Brown. 

I don't think it's quite to that stage yet, but there taking a seriously look at him.

@levineps

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

ESPN: Bobcats fire coach Mike Dunlap

http://espn.go.com/n...nlap-one-season

There might be more to this story than wins/losses? I've heard from another msg board that the players didn't really like him. I don't know how anyone could have that job for only a year and be respectable(by Bobcats standards) and lose their job?

In fairness, all pro coaches(and many college coaches) know that their employer expects instant results. There is very little of a grace period for rebuilding.

Dunlap was probably just going to be a placeholder anyways, now they get another one.

Franchilla was saying on Twitter how no one should've taken that job. That's a dumb statement. Someone like Dunlap would've been a fool not too. What's better being an Assistant at STJ's or being an NBA Head Coach. Financially speaking, it's a no-brainer. And you aren't going to get the good jobs until you take the bad jobs. I think that's true about just about any manager or head coach in sports, save for internal promotions of a good assistant(and that's usually because the team was winning and the coach retired) Yes, I know he was set-up for failure so to speak, but the number of NBA head coaching jobs are few and far between.

• Adam Wolff likes this
@levineps

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

There might be more to this story than wins/losses? I've heard from another msg board that the players didn't really like him. I don't know how anyone could have that job for only a year and be respectable(by Bobcats standards) and lose their job?

In fairness, all pro coaches(and many college coaches) know that their employer expects instant results. There is very little of a grace period for rebuilding.

Dunlap was probably just going to be a placeholder anyways, now they get another one.

Franchilla was saying on Twitter how no one should've taken that job. That's a dumb statement. Someone like Dunlap would've been a fool not too. What's better being an Assistant at STJ's or being an NBA Head Coach. Financially speaking, it's a no-brainer. And you aren't going to get the good jobs until you take the bad jobs. I think that's true about just about any manager or head coach in sports, save for internal promotions of a good assistant(and that's usually because the team was winning and the coach retired) Yes, I know he was set-up for failure so to speak, but the number of NBA head coaching jobs are few and far between.

Yep. He's on the carousel now, which sets him up for NBA assistant jobs along with likely a few college head positions, with future opportunities for the top job with a pro team.. That's what matters.

@DJ_McCann

#8 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

I actually chatted with Brian Billick about this, because I too find it fascinating. Granted we're talking different sports, but I think the concept remains the same.

I pointed out a guy like Pat Shurmur in Cleveland who was a well respected assistant who went into an impossible situation and may never get another shot. Brian's thoughts were that yeah, every situation isn't ideal, but there are only 32 jobs in the world...it's a chance that you have to take, bottom line.

@PeterDiLutis

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

I actually chatted with Brian Billick about this, because I too find it fascinating. Granted we're talking different sports, but I think the concept remains the same.

I pointed out a guy like Pat Shurmur in Cleveland who was a well respected assistant who went into an impossible situation and may never get another shot. Brian's thoughts were that yeah, every situation isn't ideal, but there are only 32 jobs in the world...it's a chance that you have to take, bottom line.

I think you have to evaluate everything on a case-by-case basis, but in general especially for a "hot assistant," you have to do what you have to while your stock is hot. Not to many are going to turn down being a head coach or manager to remain an assistant.

As you said, there's only X amount of any head coach/manager positions depending on the sport.

I kind of laugh when people criticize those were taking certain jobs (Orioles GM, Marlins manager, Raiders head coach, etc). Just like any other job to get a great head coaching job, you most likely have to take some bad ones first. Very few get to have their first head coaching job be a glamorous and that's usually when they are promoted internally for continuity purposes after a successful coach retires.

@levineps

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

ESPN: Nets won't retain P.J. Carlesimo

http://espn.go.com/n...-playoff-ouster

@levineps

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

ESPN: Nets won't retain P.J. Carlesimo

http://espn.go.com/n...-playoff-ouster

Makes sense. You have one of the top PG, SG, and C in the Eastern Conference and you lose to a team without it's best 2 players and another starter, at home, in a series that talent wise, you probably should have wrapped up in 5 games. Definitely underachieved. 

@AdamWolff

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Makes sense. You have one of the top PG, SG, and C in the Eastern Conference and you lose to a team without it's best 2 players and another starter, at home, in a series that talent wise, you probably should have wrapped up in 5 games. Definitely underachieved. 

I gotta think given the new arena, a decent team, good market, they shouldn't have a problem getting a quality coach.

@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

CBS SportsRick Adelman announces retirement from coaching

According to Yahoo Sports, early candidates for the job include Stan Van Gundy, Fred Hoiberg and Tom Izzo.

Izzo seems like a reach.

@levineps

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Knicks fire entire coaching staff

#15 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Steve Kerr

STEVE KERR!!

Yes, I know I'm really dating myself with this reference. 

hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. 

@beginthebegin71

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Steve Kerr

STEVE KERR!!

Yes, I know I'm really dating myself with this reference. 

hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. 

Sadly, yes...from his U of A days. I guess you and I are the elder-statesmen around here.

#17 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

Sadly, yes...from his U of A days. I guess you and I are the elder-statesmen around here.

Yea, good times. 

I'm 42, by the way. Will be 43 in October

@beginthebegin71

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Yea, good times. 

I'm 42, by the way. Will be 43 in October

Bastard.

• SBTarheel likes this

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

CBS SportsJazz announce Ty Corbin will not return as coach next year

Yahoo Sports reports Spurs assistant Jim Boylen could be a candidate for the job.

@levineps

#20 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

D'Antoni resigns as Lakers coach...

Pedro and Weber for Co-Coaches!!

@beginthebegin71