#161 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 03:33 PM

Finally.

Respect that he didn’t force the league to kiss his ass the final few games, unlike Big Jen.

At least Ben will be an afterthought in 5 years in Canton. It's gonna be Brady's ceremony.

#162 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 07:36 PM

A lot of people are saying it, but I haven't heard it from Brady yet and until I hear it from him, I'm not ready to believe it.  

Unless there are a lot of changes in TB that I don't know about, I still say I would give it one more chance.  In the division they are in, they are all but guaranteed of winning it and making the playoffs with at least one home game.  With Brees and Payton gone from the Saints they are in full rebuilding mode and neither Carolina nor Atlanta offers any resistance.   So it's not like he would be risking looking like someone who just held on by coming back.  If he plays one more year he would likely be going out with at least one more playoff win.  And they would at least be considered a decent bet to make it all the way back to a SB in the NFC.  

#163 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2022 - 07:50 PM

Spotrac

FWIW: $15M of Tom Brady’s $20M signing bonus from last March is set to be paid out February 4th, 2022. Seems like something a guy or gal would want to have process before making any life changing career decisions official.

#164 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 12:02 AM

At least Ben will be an afterthought in 5 years in Canton. It's gonna be Brady's ceremony.

That's true.  The HOF induction for Brady will overshadow anyone.  But I don't know about an afterthought.  Pittsburgh is only about 90 miles from Canton and their fans will be there.  Would make for some good theater.  Tons of Pittsburgh fans who hate Brady more than Baltimore fans do, plus tons of NE fans there.  The bars in Canton might want to hire some extra security for that year.  

• Steve55 likes this

#165 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:21 AM

That's true. The HOF induction for Brady will overshadow anyone. But I don't know about an afterthought. Pittsburgh is only about 90 miles from Canton and their fans will be there. Would make for some good theater. Tons of Pittsburgh fans who hate Brady more than Baltimore fans do, plus tons of NE fans there. The bars in Canton might want to hire some extra security for that year.

Brady taking the stage to a chorus of thunderous booing would be sort of funny. :)

#166 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 08:25 AM

Wow, it sounded like he still wanted to play but I think he may have promised the family 

His wife wanted him to retire after the last NE SB win .

#167 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:57 PM

On his podcast on Monday, Tom Brady said he has not made a decision on retiring yet.  

#168 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 06:20 AM

On his podcast on Monday, Tom Brady said he has not made a decision on retiring yet.  

Yep, 2/5 after the bonus kicks in.

#169 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:45 AM

Brady made it official.

#170 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:13 AM

He wrote 8 slides on instagram with no mention of the Pats, Belichick, Kraft, Boston  :D ...thanks Bucs teammates, Bucs fans, Tampa, Glazer, Licht, Arians, Bucs coaches staffers and employees, his agents, parents, Giselle and kids. 

#171 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:54 AM

Only thing that would’ve made it funnier is if he thanked AB without mentioning NE.

#172 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 12:50 PM

I'm not sure if Brady not mentioning the Patriots means much right now. It is a bit odd, but there's no way he can just ignore an organization with whom he spent 20 years. I've seen it suggested that perhaps he'll put together some acknowledgment of his career with the Patriots. That makes sense, since his retirement obviously has a much more immediate impact on the Bucs than the Pats.

Aaron Wilson reported that Tampa Bay has given all of its assistants permission to seek jobs elsewhere if they so choose, regardless if the new position is an actual promotion. 

#173 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 01:04 PM

Yep, 2/5 after the bonus kicks in.

Either way, Brady will probably still officially be with the Buccaneers until at least June 2. He's currently carrying a $32.5 million dead cap hit for next season, the entirety of which the Bucs would have to eat if he retires before then. Keeping him on the roster past the later date would allow them to shift some of that dead money to 2023.

They could also demand that he return the $16 million, but bonus recovery policy depends on the team and the relationship between the player and the organization. They could simply just let him keep the entire check as an appreciation for Brady helping them end their long playoff drought and winning a Super Bowl.

#174 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 02:35 PM

I'm not sure if Brady not mentioning the Patriots means much right now. It is a bit odd, but there's no way he can just ignore an organization with whom he spent 20 years. I've seen it suggested that perhaps he'll put together some acknowledgment of his career with the Patriots. That makes sense, since his retirement obviously has a much more immediate impact on the Bucs than the Pats.

Aaron Wilson reported that Tampa Bay has given all of its assistants permission to seek jobs elsewhere if they so choose, regardless if the new position is an actual promotion. 

So Brady retires & it all falls apart in Tampa. Is Arians getting out also .?

#175 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 02:43 PM

Spotrac

·
3h

FWIW: $15M of Tom Brady’s $20M signing bonus from last March is set to be paid out February 4th, 2022. Seems like something a guy or gal would want to have process before making any life changing career decisions official.

As much money as  $15m to those of us, working in the real world.

Its nothing when compared to the net worth of his bankbook along side of his supermodel wife.

I suspect even out of football, he is still able to make some money using his name.

#176 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 02:43 PM

Does Gronk return?

#177 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 02:47 PM

Here’s to hoping they set their sights on the 2023 draft, because there’s a number of good QBs to choose from (Trask will likely be a solid backup). It’d be great if they somehow manage to fall into Stroud from Ohio State. 

Does Gronk return?

Not a chance. 

#178 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 04:11 PM

I haven't seen anything except speculation regarding Arians. However, if Brady is done and the Bucs decide it's time for a re-boot, my guess is he might just retire. At the age of 69, it's doubtful he'll want to endure a rebuild, and besides, he does have three Super Bowl rings--one as head coach of Tampa, and two when he was still an assistant with the Steelers.

#179 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:46 PM

I really thought he would come back for one more season.  But maybe there's just too much turnover about to happen in Tampa to make it worthwhile.  

I wonder if this affects Rogers thinking in any way?  Why would he want to leave GB now?  Without Brady in Tampa that takes out one of the few actual contenders in the NFC.  And if Rogers left the Packers and the NFC, where would that leave the conference?  SF likely going with Trey Lance, not sure about the Rams cap situation but they are built to win now, and Green Bay without Rogers.  Yeessshhh.  That might leave the Cowboys as the favorite.  

• mdrunning likes this

#180 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:50 PM

I really thought he would come back for one more season.  But maybe there's just too much turnover about to happen in Tampa to make it worthwhile.  

I wonder if this affects Rogers thinking in any way?  Why would he want to leave GB now?  Without Brady in Tampa that takes out one of the few actual contenders in the NFC.  And if Rogers left the Packers and the NFC, where would that leave the conference?  SF likely going with Trey Lance, not sure about the Rams cap situation but they are built to win now, and Green Bay without Rogers.  Yeessshhh.  That might leave the Cowboys as the favorite.  

As a Bucs fan I fear Rodgers might be angling for a deal to the Buccaneers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=