22 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Andy Katz @ESPNAndyKatz 7m

Maryland coach Mark Turgeon said Pe'Shon Howard is transferring back home to be closer to sick grandmother.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Sorry to hear about his grandmother, but I'm happy that we'll be moving on from Pe'shon.  Much rather see what Turgeon can do with another scholarship in the chamber than see Pe'shon back next season.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear about his grandmother, but I'm happy that we'll be moving on from Pe'shon.  Much rather see what Turgeon can do with another scholarship in the chamber than see Pe'shon back next season.

Maybe. Certainly was a pretty limited guy, and his inability to knock down open shots was an issue. OTOH, he was probably the best guard in the 1/2 court, and even with him; many of us have talked about the need for another guard capable of running the offense.

For now, just that much more pressure on Peters to be able to be help right away.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Maybe. Certainly was a pretty limited guy, and his inability to knock down open shots was an issue. OTOH, he was probably the best guard in the 1/2 court, and even with him; many of us have talked about the need for another guard capable of running the offense.

For now, just that much more pressure on Peters to be able to be help right away.

Pe'shon just isn't an ACC caliber player.  I think he had a shot to be solid coming into his sophomore year, but the injuries robbed him of what limited athleticism he did have.  He can't get by anybody off of the dribble and he can't shoot.

We're better without him, IMO.  Especially if Turgeon can put his scholarship to good use for next season.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Pe'shon just isn't an ACC caliber player.  I think he had a shot to be solid coming into his sophomore year, but the injuries robbed him of what limited athleticism he did have.  He can't get by anybody off of the dribble and he can't shoot.

We're better without him, IMO.  Especially if Turgeon can put his scholarship to good use for next season.

CBS Sports: Transfer List - First Edition
http://www.cbssports...t-first-edition

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Testudo Times: Howard transferring
http://www.testudoti...rd-transferring

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

CBS Sports: Transfer List - First Edition
http://www.cbssports...t-first-edition

That looks like an old link, from March 2012.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

That looks like an old link, from March 2012.

It was, edited it with the correct link.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

It was, edited it with the correct link.

Josh Davis from Tulane jumps off of that list.  Gotta imagine tons of teams will be after him.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Josh Davis from Tulane jumps off of that list.  Gotta imagine tons of teams will be after him.

PF, that can score, with ACC experience, and who can play immediately? Yeah, sign me up.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Last time we got a transfer from Tulane it worked out pretty swimmingly.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Found some youtube clips of him.  Doesn't really seem like an above-the-rim guy, though he's more athletic than Mitchell and Cleare.  A bit more physical and talented version of James Padgett would be my description.  Lefthanded as well.  Really aggressive around the basket.

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Last time we got a transfer from Tulane it worked out pretty swimmingly.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

mouton.jpg

#14 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Davis is probably the hottest transfer commodity this off season.

Similar to Oriahki from UConn last spring.

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

I have to think Turg will be hard after a PG before next year. Whether it's JUCO, transfer, late signee, etc.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#16 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

I have to think Turg will be hard after a PG before next year. Whether it's JUCO, transfer, late signee, etc.

Agreed.

Losing a senior point guard is not a good thing when all you have at the PG position is an erratic sophomore (Allen), a freshman coming off of a shortened HS senior season due to injury (Peters), and a wing who has filled in at point (Faust).

Yes, Howard was inconsistent and bad at shooting this past season, but he was proved to be very valuable at times throughout the year and helped the team develop. It would have been nice to have a senior PG on the team this year to help Peters and Allen along as well.

Unless we get a transfer point guard who can play immediately (either a JUCO or grad student), this is NOT a good thing.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#17 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

Anybody know any more details about GW's Lasan Kromah? According to this article (and the link that Chris provided) he's a guard that is available and immediately eligible. Don't know if he was more of a PG or SG but he averaged 24.5 minutes off the bench for GW and got 10 points a game.

He doesn't seem spectacular but I'd think he's at least a possible option, and given that he's local (from Greenbelt) and stayed local for his first college (GW) he might be a logical fit. If nothing else, he adds another guard to the mix.

• Mackus likes this

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Anybody know any more details about GW's Lasan Kromah? According to this article (and the link that Chris provided) he's a guard that is available and immediately eligible. Don't know if he was more of a PG or SG but he averaged 24.5 minutes off the bench for GW and got 10 points a game.

He doesn't seem spectacular but I'd think he's at least a possible option, and given that he's local (from Greenbelt) and stayed local for his first college (GW) he might be a logical fit. If nothing else, he adds another guard to the mix.

I don't know him at all, but just from looking at the numbers seems more like a slashing 2/3 to me than a point guard.  He's 6'5".  His numbers have been very similar across all 3 of his years at GW.  For his career he's at 11 ppg on 45% shooting, though bad from both the three (30%) and the free throw (61%) lines so he's probably doing his damage close to the rim.  He only averages 2 assists a game to 2 turnovers a game.  So on paper he doesn't seem like a PG and would likely be redundant for the Terps behind Faust, Wells, Allen, and Layman.

I've only glanced at the stats for any of the "eligible to play right away" guys from the list Chris posted.  Doesn't look like there are any viable PG options among those I've looked at.

• mdak06 likes this

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Another big-time guy that just announced he is transferring is Memphis PF Tarik Black. Eligible for next season.

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

If Turgeon can't get a point guard, it looks like it'll be Seth Allen running the show, with Roddy Peters serving as his backup. Then Peters and Trimble will compete for the job in 2015. Allen can be a good point guard. He's obviously better as a shooting guard, but if he works at it in the offseason, he can get better.

Naturally, it'd be nice to grab a transfer PG to run the show in 2014. But Seth Allen isn't the worst option to have.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=