168 replies to this topic

#141 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Beginning to think that I didn't enjoy our magical season as much as I should have last year...... Stupid me.

#142 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

How about building his confidence through leaving on a high note, as opposed to leaving on a 3 run shot?

Obviously he didn't know he was going to give up a 3 run HR to Daniel Nava, a guy without that much power. It's easy to say that knowing the result. Results are more important than building confidence, but that's what Buck was trying to do there. Build Chen's confidence and arm strength so that the next time he's in a situation like that, he can handle it on his own.

@BSLKevinEbert

#143 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

While 107 pitches for Chen is a few too many, there's something to be said for Buck trying to build confidence in his starters. If he had gotten the outs to get out of the inning, it would've built up a lot of confidence.

Also, as a few of you referenced Chen tiring when his pitch count crept toward 100 last season. How do you build up his stamina to get past that point?  Let him pitch to build his arm strength.

You can't just pull a starter at the first sign of trouble when he's been great all day long.

If we've got a lead, then it makes sense.  When there is no margin for error, you gotta focus on the game and not your pitcher's psyche.  Plus, I doubt pitchers think about it like that.  6+ innings and 1 ER if the bullpen does a solid job probably isn't that different mentally for Chen than 7 and 0 ER or 6 and 3 ER.  Chen doesn't strike me as a guy who gets rattled, so I'm not too concerned with either of the arguments dealing with his mind - the confidence gained from getting out of it or the confidence gained or lost from ending on a positive or sour note.

He 100% should have started the inning.  And I don't really think many people would've pulled him after an infield single to lead it off.  Having someone ready to come in if two guys reached was something that should've been happening.  The fact that the bullpen wasn't even up is bad, IMO.  That's a blunder on Buck's part, though even that move actually worked out since Chen got Middlebrooks to strike out.  Chen is definitely a better strikeout candidate than most of our bullpen, all of the righties except Strop I think.

#144 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

While 107 pitches for Chen is a few too many, there's something to be said for Buck trying to build confidence in his starters. If he had gotten the outs to get out of the inning, it would've built up a lot of confidence.

Also, as a few of you referenced Chen tiring when his pitch count crept toward 100 last season. How do you build up his stamina to get past that point?  Let him pitch to build his arm strength.

You can't just pull a starter at the first sign of trouble when he's been great all day long.

Not the first sign of trouble, but someone should have been ready. It's very early, and every game counts. 

Maybe they should try some unconventional things rather than stretching him out at the expense of divisional losses. Have him go simulate an extra inning in the cage after his outing, something like that. That's if they were even trying to "stretch him out". I think this whole theory is a stretch, IMHO. No offense.

#145 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Beginning to think that I didn't enjoy our magical season as much as I should have last year...... Stupid me.

Man…it's the 7th game. Stop talking like the season's over already. 

@BSLKevinEbert

#146 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,483 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Jonesy gets one back!

#147 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Nice rip from Jonesy, that was a great stroke... MASN screwed the pooch there though.

#148 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,994 posts

If we've got a lead, then it makes sense.  When there is no margin for error, you gotta focus on the game and not your pitcher's psyche.  Plus, I doubt pitchers think about it like that.  6+ innings and 1 ER if the bullpen does a solid job probably isn't that different mentally for Chen than 7 and 0 ER or 6 and 3 ER.  Chen doesn't strike me as a guy who gets rattled, so I'm not too concerned with either of the arguments dealing with his mind - the confidence gained from getting out of it or the confidence gained or lost from ending on a positive or sour note.

He 100% should have started the inning.  And I don't really think many people would've pulled him after an infield single to lead it off.  Having someone ready to come in if two guys reached was something that should've been happening.  The fact that the bullpen wasn't even up is bad, IMO.  That's a blunder on Buck's part, though even that move actually worked out since Chen got Middlebrooks to strike out.  Chen is definitely a better strikeout candidate than most of our bullpen, all of the righties except Strop I think.

O'Day is probably a better candidate for the strikeout than Strop, but I'd have taken either one in that situation to face Nava than Chen.

• Mackus likes this

#149 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Some life!

Now the debate of whether Buck's decision cost us 1 or 2 runs is very, very meaningful.

#150 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Some life!

Now the debate of whether Buck's decision cost us 1 or 2 runs is very, very meaningful.

True, but I'm over it. It is what it is. Lots of baseball left.

#151 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

O'Day is probably a better candidate for the strikeout than Strop, but I'd have taken either one in that situation to face Nava than Chen.

You are, of course, absolutely right here.  Not sure why I got those two backwards, especially when earlier I was saying I'd got to O'Day.

#152 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Was that really 99 there from Hanrahan?

#153 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,483 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Hardy off the Monster...

#154 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,698 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

I'm sure Daniel Nava would be 0-whatever if he were on our team. GD it.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#155 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Damn, Hardy is one slow MF'er... unreal how slow he is somehow.

#156 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,994 posts

True, but I'm over it. It is what it is. Lots of baseball left.

I don't know if I can take 155 more of these....

#157 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Time for Flaherty to answer all the doubters!

Or strike out.

Definitely gonna be oneof those two things.

#158 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

C'mon Flaherty - time to become acquainted with Pesky.

#159 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,483 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

2-0 fastball popped out to end the game.

O's fall to 3-4... day off tomorrow. Come back Wednesday and pull even.

#160 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,698 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Someone dump Flaherty in Boston Harbor.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."