673 replies to this topic

#641 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 05:56 PM

Fields going to the Steelers for a 6th round pick.

A 6th round pick?

Wow.

Edit: nevermind, it's a conditional 4th rounder.

Still...
  • SonicAttack likes this

#642 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:06 PM

Ugh.

I can envision Pittsburgh as a division contender with Fields.

#643 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:09 PM

Weird trade for Fields for a potential 4th rdr, when they just got Wilson.  Good backup one of them will be. 

#644 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:13 PM

Wilson won't be on the bench. Guess Fields could learn for a year under Wilson, but he'll be getting expensive soon.

#645 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:18 PM

Damn. Fields a great fit for the mental midget that is Arthur Smith. He will have him playing within himself. Great trade, too. Most analysts thought Fields would fetch a 2nd round pick heading into the offseason. They only sent a 6th that converts to a 4th contingent upon playing time.

You can pump the brakes big time on division contender though, that’s clearly an overreaction. Still the 3rd and maybe even 4th best team on paper IMO. But they’re better than last year.

#646 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:35 PM

Tomlin has produced competitive teams with some playoff appearances without a remotely decent QB, so if anyone keeps them in contention it's him.

Wilson and Fields have higher upside combined, but Wilson is 36 and persona non grata everywhere he goes now. Fields has potential and some good games, but also some "how the hell is that guy starting an NFL game" games. And he's 3 full years in basically, so he isn't completely raw either.

And trust me, if Queen has to be Queen pre-Roquan, without a Roquan next to him, he won't see year 3 there and the narrative will go south quickly.

Overall more upside at QB for PIT now, but far from any immediate contender status in my mind...

#647 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:54 PM

For that price, I wish the Ravens would have acquired him, if only for the year.

#648 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:25 PM

Good trade for the Steelers.

Real low risk move.

I predict He'll take over the starting QB job from Wilson at some next season.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#649 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:28 PM

Pickett is a huge crybaby diva.

I'm going to back off this statement.

I read an article written by a Pittsburgh sportswriter and it seems to imply that Pickett was not healthy enough to play last week 17 against the Seahawks. Sounds like Tomlin may have been playing mind games with him and he was done.

#650 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:39 PM

Damn. Fields a great fit for the mental midget that is Arthur Smith. He will have him playing within himself. Great trade, too. Most analysts thought Fields would fetch a 2nd round pick heading into the offseason. They only sent a 6th that converts to a 4th contingent upon playing time.

You can pump the brakes big time on division contender though, that’s clearly an overreaction. Still the 3rd and maybe even 4th best team on paper IMO. But they’re better than last year.

Said the other day I was glad they got Wilson because I was worried they would get Fields.

Said I thought they were a wc team with Wilson / Pickett.

Definitely think they can win the division with Fields.

Ravens and Bengals will be rightfully favored, but I can easily see all four North teams somewhere 9-12 wins.

Biggest question I have with Pittsburgh is their line.

I like Fields for what he is.
Run the rock, big arm.
Got better weapons then he had in Chicago... he might not be accurate enough or make good enough decisions consistently to ever become very good...but I think his baseline ability is good enough with the surrounding talent to be in play for the division.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#651 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 08:25 PM

Pittsburgh got Fields for a 6th round pick that could turn into a 4th round if Fields plays 51% of the offensive plays.  The only way that is likely is if Wilson is hurt or is seriously bad.  Pittsburgh would seem to have it's QB succession plan in place.  Use Wilson as a one year place holder to Fields.  They have two QBs for an incredibly cheap price.  If they extend Fields next year he will probably play on a fairly team friendly salary.  Of course, he has to perform or it doesn't matter. 

Put it this way, Pittsburgh got a 3rd round pick and two sevens while giving the Eagles Pickett and a 4th round pick.  They got more for Pickett than Chicago got for Fields.  Article on CBS Sports said, "Pittsburgh fleeces Chicago, again."  I have to agree.  What is Chicago's FO doing?  Two years ago they deal the best Linebacker in football to the Ravens for a 2nd round pick, now they deal a QB that was projected to get a 2nd rounder for a 6th rounder.  Wow.  

#652 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2024 - 09:56 PM

Pittsburgh got Fields for a 6th round pick that could turn into a 4th round if Fields plays 51% of the offensive plays. The only way that is likely is if Wilson is hurt or is seriously bad. Pittsburgh would seem to have it's QB succession plan in place. Use Wilson as a one year place holder to Fields. They have two QBs for an incredibly cheap price. If they extend Fields next year he will probably play on a fairly team friendly salary. Of course, he has to perform or it doesn't matter.

Put it this way, Pittsburgh got a 3rd round pick and two sevens while giving the Eagles Pickett and a 4th round pick. They got more for Pickett than Chicago got for Fields. Article on CBS Sports said, "Pittsburgh fleeces Chicago, again." I have to agree. What is Chicago's FO doing? Two years ago they deal the best Linebacker in football to the Ravens for a 2nd round pick, now they deal a QB that was projected to get a 2nd rounder for a 6th rounder. Wow.

They also traded a 2nd for Sweat in a season that was already lost and only ended up worsening their draft pick. They did absolutely fleece Carolina last year though. But they truly do some stupid crap. They don’t deserve Caleb. But he is going to put the Bears back on the map. 100%.

#653 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 10:46 PM

Good trade for the Steelers.

Real low risk move.

I predict He'll take over the starting QB job from Wilson at some next season.

Wilson will be the starter. I remember reading that Wilson turned down the Giants because they wouldn't guarantee him the starting job while Pittsburgh did. But he's also going to have to win since the Steelers have no long-term commitment to him. If he falters or the team gets out of the gate slowly, he'll get the hook.

#654 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 11:04 PM

They also traded a 2nd for Sweat in a season that was already lost and only ended up worsening their draft pick. They did absolutely fleece Carolina last year though. But they truly do some stupid crap. They don’t deserve Caleb. But he is going to put the Bears back on the map. 100%.

True.  They got the best of the only team in the league that might have a worse front office in Carolina.  I don't agree about Caleb though.  He's good enough, but he is going to an organization that is more poisonous than even Cleveland was to good players.  He might have a good career in the NFL, but only after he breaks out of the hell-hole that Chicago is.  

The Bears have been relevant only three times since I started watching football in the 1970's.  Once when they had Walter Payton and actually made the playoffs in the late 1970's.  Again in the season with Ditka as coach, McMahon at QB and a defense that I think could be the best I ever saw.  And when they somehow made a SB under Lovie Smith.  Other than that they have simply been a bad franchise.  

#655 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 11:12 PM

Chicago should have held on to Fields for the time being. Someone is bound to get hurt in training camp or early in the season and they could have made a better deal for him then.

• russsnyder and makoman like this

#656 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 05:13 AM

Wilson will be the starter. I remember reading that Wilson turned down the Giants because they wouldn't guarantee him the starting job while Pittsburgh did. But he's also going to have to win since the Steelers have no long-term commitment to him. If he falters or the team gets out of the gate slowly, he'll get the hook.

To clarify my prediction, Wilson will start, struggle, and be replaced by Fields during the regular season
I just don't think Wilson is that good.

#657 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 05:16 AM

Chicago should have held on to Fields for the time being. Someone is bound to get hurt in training camp or early in the season and they could have made a better deal for him then.

Definitely a better strategy than trading him for what may very well be a 6th round draft pick.

#658 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:04 AM

Knew the Steelers were too smart to not overhaul their QB room. Sure, you can debate how much better that room is but its better than it was from a 9 win team last year. AFC North is just a beast on paper

#659 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:13 AM

Pittsburgh got Fields for a 6th round pick that could turn into a 4th round if Fields plays 51% of the offensive plays.  The only way that is likely is if Wilson is hurt or is seriously bad.  Pittsburgh would seem to have it's QB succession plan in place.  Use Wilson as a one year place holder to Fields.  They have two QBs for an incredibly cheap price.  If they extend Fields next year he will probably play on a fairly team friendly salary.  Of course, he has to perform or it doesn't matter. 

Put it this way, Pittsburgh got a 3rd round pick and two sevens while giving the Eagles Pickett and a 4th round pick.  They got more for Pickett than Chicago got for Fields.  Article on CBS Sports said, "Pittsburgh fleeces Chicago, again."  I have to agree.  What is Chicago's FO doing?  Two years ago they deal the best Linebacker in football to the Ravens for a 2nd round pick, now they deal a QB that was projected to get a 2nd rounder for a 6th rounder.  Wow.  

They need to decide on Field's 5th year option in a few months or he's a FA in 25. Unless they can reach an extension with Fields they have no QB's for 25. 

• SonicAttack likes this

#660 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:23 AM

Denver & Vegas may not get a QB in the draft for the future. Maybe a bidding war over Fields happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=