Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Anyone want to take this bet.

MD will not get this to within 2 possesions or 6 points the rest of the night.

BTW......they'll have real problem with Cleare and Mitchell as a starter next year. Neither are very good 5s.

Toot.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

Layman is just horrendous sometimes.

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Can't believe I stayed up to watch this. What a terrible team.

Next year should still be fun. We'll see.

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

SO i pushed it just a bit too far. They didn't get to 1 possesion or in other words never really made it a game which was my point. Lose by 11 to a bunch of white boys. Screw this team.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

BSL: Iowa ends Terps season; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
http://baltimorespor...e-bad-the-ugly/

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

Were the more talented team but lost handily due to complete lack of basketball smarts and awareness.

Really just a showcase for all the problems that have plagued the team the entire season. No point guard play, too many turnovers, no attempt from Turgeon to adjust things in game or develop an offense that can beat a zone, and general stupid and sloppy play across the board.

Hoping that the problems can be solved by finding a legit PG and an athletic big man to help the defense after Len leaves and some significant maturation from the young wing players.

#27 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

Had to get up super early and felt like I knew where that game was headed, so I turned in at halftime. Seems like that was a good call.

My only real regret was that I went to bed thinking I'd probably seen the last of Alex Len in a Terp uni. Which is kind of a bummer. His inconsistent offense was frustrating but he was an excellent rim defender.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Didn't think this was worth it's own thread, but some friends and I were kicking around a 'what if' that I thought was pretty interesting.

If you could add any two Maryland players of the last 20ish years to this year's team and start over from the beginning, who would you add?

Tricky part: You can't add anyone who ever made a 1st or 2nd All-ACC team. Or Chris McCray, who likely would have made 2nd team his senior year had he not skipped all his finals like some sort of jerk.

I'd pick Eric Hayes and Mike Jones.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Did Nicholas make a 2nd team All ACC??? Cause if not, him. Better all around player than Jones was but the same caliber of shooter. Did Wilcox make a 2nd team All ACC???

FInd me a damn list of all the players who made 2nd team All ACC. I'll come up with the two right guys.

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Here's one from 2002 and earlier:
http://www.sportssta.../awards/All-ACC

Had to search kind of by hand for others, haven't seen a full list for the second team (wikipedia has the first team guys: Smith, Booth, Francis, Morris, Dixon, Baxter, Blake, Vasquez, Williams). I just googled borderline guys and all-acc and either got results or didn't for the most part.

Nicholas, Wilcox, Elliot, Rhodes, Strawberry, and Gist all made 2nd team.

John Gilchrist is the most interesting name to me who didn't. But I'm not sure the final-year version of Gilchrist gets along with Turgeon. Ibekwe is another guy I thought about, but I feel like we would need him more for next season than we would've needed him for this year. Exree Hipp is another, but if we are getting their final-year, he had a very poor senior season. Profit may be one of the best who didn't make 2nd team, but I think with Wells and Faust we've got the wing pretty well covered. Or Sarunas. Need more ball handlers.

#31 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'll take Terrell Stokes and Jamar Smith, barely, over Sarunas. Think Smith would've complimented Len nicely.

#32 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

BTW, I'm kind of shocked that Profit never made 2nd team. That shows you how deep the ACC was when he was playing. Profit was a darn good player.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'll take Terrell Stokes and Jamar Smith, barely, over Sarunas. Think Smith would've complimented Len nicely.

Why Stokes over Hayes?
Stokes average 4 points and 6.3 assists his senior year. Shooting 41% from 3 (though only about 2 attempts per game). Hayes averaged 11 points and 4 assists, but shot 45% from 3 (on twice as many attempts). Stokes did have about twice as many steals as Hayes. Both are pretty pure point guards with good handle, Stokes was pretty much an actually decent version of Howard.

Why Smith over Ibekwe?
Smith averaged 13/9 his senior year, but on 42% shooting and only 1 bpg. Ibekwe averaged 10.5 and 8 on 50% shooting and 2.7 blocks.

Not saying I think you're wrong, or even that the stats show one is the right choice over the other, just interested in the thought process.

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

BTW, I'm kind of shocked that Profit never made 2nd team. That shows you how deep the ACC was when he was playing. Profit was a darn good player.

Me too. I just assumed he had initially, even possibly 1st team.

He made the 3rd team his final 3 seasons.

#35 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Stokes because he spent 3 years as a starting PG. He was not a fantastic player but was a good ball handler and distributor. Hayes was a nice little player, but I think Stokes was better at creating and distributing. It is possible that Hayes could do that as well but we didn't get to see it because of Vasquez.

I was just never a huge fan of Ibekwe. Good athlete, and definitely brought something this team could have used with his length and leaping ability. But he sort of reminds me of a lot of what I saw with this year's team. Dumb decisions, not very mentally tough. Smith was a good 5 at this level, and was pretty smart and tough.

This would also allow Len to play the 4 where I think he's a little more comfortable.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Stokes I agree was better at being a penetrate and dish type PG than Hayes. I would go with Hayes over Stokes though because of his shooting. Stokes' percentage was decent, especially his senior year, but he wasn't really much of a consistent perimeter threat. Hayes on the other hand was pretty deadly from deep his final year (and solid throughout). Having that consistent perimeter threat hanging around the line when the ball gets kicked inside would've opened things up, much moreso than just the occasional threat of Aronhalt in from the bench for 5-10 minutes a game.

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I would go with Gilchrist to fix the PG situation as he's the best available PG imo, can hit the 3, and is potential difference maker. For the other spot, I think Jones and Sarunas are interesting options, but I'll go with Wilcox because I think he's the best available talent and he can help create a fantastic big man rotation along with a great fast break squad (he, Len and Wells running the floor and finishing with solid guards running the break).

#38 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Can't use Wilcox, he made 2nd team all ACC according to Mackus' post above.  Otherwise he would be an obvious choice.

#39 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

And Mackus,  I certainly wouldn't complain with adding Hayes to this year's team.  Just IMO a Stokes-type was more needed.

Gilchrist was more talented, but I agree with Mackus that he and Turgeon would not have been a good fit.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Can't use Wilcox, he made 2nd team all ACC according to Mackus' post above.  Otherwise he would be an obvious choice.

He did not make 2nd team all ACC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=