#321 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 12:31 PM

Woah.  

Go get something similar done with Adley.  The length won't be similar given that Rodriguez is so much younger and plays a less decline-prone position.  But a big guarantee with incentives to drive it up further is a good idea.  Does make it difficult to project and compare though.

Yeah if Franco got 16.5 per, and Rodriguez gets 15 per then give him 8/128 with options and incentives or whatever and call it a day. Adjust as needed if he gets the full year service time before the deal is done. I don't care if the last few years are catcher decline years.

• BobPhelan likes this

#322 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 02:55 PM

https://www.espn.com...uez-sources-say

So if this is true its a 7/$120M deal (so very similar to what we've talked about for Rutschman) and then has a player option for 5/$90M so if he wants it Rodriguez can guarantee 12/$210M.  There is also a 8/$200M or 10/$350M team option (depending on some escalator clauses based on MVP voting) at that point if the player option is declined.

#323 BSLJoeLucia

BSLJoeLucia

Sports Media Analyst

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 03:18 PM

The structure on this is wild.

https://twitter.com/...258175779790848

Club option is 8/$200M at the bare minimum with zero MVP votes.

Can increase to 8/$240M with two or three top ten MVP finishes.

Can increase to 8/$260M with four top ten MVP finishes.

Can increase to 8/$280M with either an MVP win and a top five finish OR three top five finishes without a win.

Can max out at 10/$350M with two MVPs OR top five finishes without a win.

Give the Mariners and Rodriguez's agent credit for at least making this creative.

• Mackus likes this

#324 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 03:19 PM

$35M will be like half of what an MVP candidate gets in 10 years.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#325 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 04:08 PM

Give the Mariners and Rodriguez's agent credit for at least making this creative.

Agree.  Its a pretty novel structure, and a good way to protect Rodriguez' overall earnings potential, give him a big guaranteed amount if things go sour, and give the Mariners a great contract if things go ok or better.

Rutschman being a catcher is going to complicate things.  But I think with Franco and Rodriguez we've got some really good benchmarks for a potential deal for him.  If they don't get it done this offseason, its because at least one side isn't interested.  I'll be pretty disappointed if they can't lock him up long term.  Though given his position and age, it won't be as big of a mistake as not locking up Manny was or the M's / Rays not locking up Rodriguez/Franco would've been.

#326 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 11:08 PM

Is Rutschman even going to want to sign one of these deals? As a catcher, he'd be limiting his longer-term earning potential by taking something such as described above. He'll be 25 before spring training, so is he really going to be willing to defer one or two walk years? That could delay his free agency until age 33.

Maybe a deal that buys out his arbitration years, but I don't know how much further the terms would go from there.

#327 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 August 2022 - 11:26 PM

This is more or less what I described for AR.  Obviously some $$ differences based on a couple things, but the structure is similar.

• Mike B likes this

#328 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 06:00 AM

Is Rutschman even going to want to sign one of these deals? As a catcher, he'd be limiting his longer-term earning potential by taking something such as described above. He'll be 25 before spring training, so is he really going to be willing to defer one or two walk years? That could delay his free agency until age 33.

Maybe a deal that buys out his arbitration years, but I don't know how much further the terms would go from there.

Assuming he gets a full year for '22, he'll hit free agency after his 29 y/o season. I think there is a good chance he wouldn't only wanna buy out 2 FA years (7-year extension). But a 9-year deal may be enough and is what I'd target. A deal like this where there is a player option for more (albeit at a lower rate) could also work for everyone in that it raises his guarantees while still giving the team a deep discount long term compared to year-to-year and then a FA contract.

#329 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 06:38 AM

FanGraphs: Julio Rodríguez’s Hit Parade Helps Mariners March Into Playoff Position

#330 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 11:57 AM

Huge four game set as the M's roll into St Pete to take on the Rays. 

• Mike B likes this

#331 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2023 - 01:09 PM

Huge four game set as the M's roll into St Pete to take on the Rays. 

Let's go Mariners.

@mikeghg

#332 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 03:29 PM

Other than that three-game set against the Orioles and another against Houston (which they swept), Seattle feasted on the designated dregs of the American League for much of August. This series against Tampa should go a long way toward establishing their playoff bona fides. Or not.

#333 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 08:18 PM

One nothing.

#334 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:20 AM

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#335 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:31 AM

Yikes

HiDWYpf.jpg

#336 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:33 AM

That’s pretty terrible, IMO. And I’d bet they wouldn’t have forced that if they still had their closer and their BP wasn’t so wrecked in the aftermath of that god awful decision to trade him.

#337 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:43 AM

Loser mentality to complain about that to the media. Not saying he’s wrong but definitely doesn’t have that dog in him as they say.

That said, he’s a great pitcher and I’d take him in a heartbeat haha. But now I lean Logan Gilbert when we trade for one of their starters this offseason.

#338 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:48 AM

Loser mentality to complain about that to the media. Not saying he’s wrong but definitely doesn’t have that dog in him as they say.

That said, he’s a great pitcher and I’d take him in a heartbeat haha. But now I lean Logan Gilbert when we trade for one of their starters this offseason.

That’s old school, and I disagree. That is what we call toxic masculinity.

Also ironic given we root for a team whose front office certainly doesn’t have that dog in them, no? If they did, they wouldn’t look at “models” pre-season to decide they aren’t good enough to win the division, and act accordingly both in the off-season and at the trade deadline.

If a guy knows he doesn’t have it anymore, isn’t it helping your team more to be honest about that versus posing some male bravado that ends up costing your team?

#339 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:50 AM

Palmer and Earl used to get in fights about this, right?

#340 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:51 AM

100%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=