Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Sean Taylor's Pro Bowl hit resonates loudly with Seahawks' biggest hitter

Most pregame rituals are more or less the same: music and meditation. Seattle Seahawks strong safety Kam Chancellor's routine is a little different. It's a window into who he wants to be as a player, and a part of NFL lore that's been sadly lost.

Before every game, the Seahawks cornerback watches videos of the late Sean Taylor.

The Seahawk watches the late Redskin for form and technique. There's a science behind how Taylor hit, and it might be more relevant in today's NFL than it was when he played.

Taylor probably never imagined the imprint he made on a player he never met – a player who is taking him to the Super Bowl in spirit. As much as Kam Chancellor is a tribute to the past, Sean Taylor is becoming a model for the game's future.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#86 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

That is a great hit that probably gets flagged seven out of ten times if he did it today. Kept his feet on the ground, put his shoulder into the runner's chest, and just pushed (hard :P).

@DJ_McCann

#87 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

Does anyone remember that coach that dipped out on USC right before their sanctions came down?  I think if Reggie Bush had to give back his Heisman and if USC had to wipe everything that happened during those years off the books that Stuart Scott should be shutting up about how Carroll is one of three head coaches to win a NCAA title and a Super Bowl.  Funny how people like to remember things.  

No one has mentioned these past two weeks about how he slipped out like a Mayflower moving van on a snowy night.  All of a sudden he's some great guy who people love playing for and his NCAA violations which he received no punishments for, IIRC, are swept under the rug.

#88 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

Does anyone remember that coach that dipped out on USC right before their sanctions came down?  I think if Reggie Bush had to give back his Heisman and if USC had to wipe everything that happened during those years off the books that Stuart Scott should be shutting up about how Carroll is one of three head coaches to win a NCAA title and a Super Bowl.  Funny how people like to remember things.  

No one has mentioned these past two weeks about how he slipped out like a Mayflower moving van on a snowy night.  All of a sudden he's some great guy who people love playing for and his NCAA violations which he received no punishments for, IIRC, are swept under the rug.

But everyone cheats in college, and he's such a treat to play for. He's like every players best friend. :roll:

He's a slimebag, but he that has that uncanny ability to make you forget it or want to forget it.

#89 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

People remember..they just don't care.

The NCAA is garbage in every way.

It's kind of like spy gate. Nothing NE did is any different from what many teams do but they are the owns who got caught.

On some levels, what Carroll did is slimy...no doubt.

But what does it matter? How does that change what he has done in Seattle, how much players love him, how respected around the league he is, etc...?

#90 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

People remember..they just don't care.

The NCAA is garbage in every way.

It's kind of like spy gate. Nothing NE did is any different from what many teams do but they are the owns who got caught.

On some levels, what Carroll did is slimy...no doubt.

But what does it matter? How does that change what he has done in Seattle, how much players love him, how respected around the league he is, etc...?

I just find it odd that he's being talked about as one of three coaches to win an NCAA championship and a Super Bowl...but if you were to go to USC today, you wouldn't find a trace of him there.  It's like that era never happened.  Meanwhile I saw a graphic on sportscenter this morning of Carroll in Trojans gear and everyones talking about his NCAA title...the NCAA title that was stripped.  

What he's done in Seattle?  I dunno, it seems like they have a great GM.  You're right, the players love him and he's respected...I just find it funny that what he did at USC is swept under the rug.

#91 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

Selective memory happens all the time when it comes to judging legacy.

Let's not forget he was a washout in New York going 6-10 in one season as Head Coach too.

The NCAA is a joke but it's also a joke to leave a university with violations to deal with under your watch to grab a payday on the professional level. Nothing illegal about it, it's just a cheap move for the captain to not go down with his ship.

Congratulations to Carroll and his team. They were dominant. His failures shouldn't take away from his accomplishments but they should be used to paint a fair picture of his place as a coach in the sport.

• Moose Milligan likes this

#92 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

I just find it odd that he's being talked about as one of three coaches to win an NCAA championship and a Super Bowl...but if you were to go to USC today, you wouldn't find a trace of him there.  It's like that era never happened.  Meanwhile I saw a graphic on sportscenter this morning of Carroll in Trojans gear and everyones talking about his NCAA title...the NCAA title that was stripped.  

What he's done in Seattle?  I dunno, it seems like they have a great GM.  You're right, the players love him and he's respected...I just find it funny that what he did at USC is swept under the rug.

You wouldn't find a trace of him there because the NCAA is a money-grabbing joke and people care way too much about "vacated records" etc. 

I guess you also believe that Joe Paterno wasn't standing on the sideline for the 99 wins that were vacated? Do you still refer to Reggie Bush as a Heisman winner or no?

People do slimy things in all sports and in all professions. It happens. 

And even if you think he was "slimy" at USC, he still won games, which is all that's needed to be considered one of the best coaches. No one is nominating him for man of the year.

@PeterDiLutis

#93 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

So is Chip Kelly also a slime ball?

@PeterDiLutis

#94 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

USC had to vacate precious wins.   Therefore, Pete Carroll has paid his debt to society.    And he paid oh so dearly.  I can only imagine the pain and heartache he went through when he immediately dipped out of USC, signed that big NFL contract , and then had to watch his beloved USC go through their troubles.

Woody-Harrelson-Wiping-Tears-Money.gif

Now let the man live in peace!

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#95 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Honestly the USC thing doesn't bother me as much as the fact that everyone tends to ignore his previous head coaching failures.  Maybe he learned from those and bettered himself as a coach, or maybe he just has a super talented roster now.  Or a combination of both.

We just see these kind of "wonder-coaches" come and go all the time.  Wouldn't shock me if he were fired by Seattle within 4 years.

#96 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I take it from your posts you aren't the biggest Pete Carroll fan. You are absolutely right about Seattle having a great GM because his name is Pete Carroll since he has final say on all personnel matters (http://seattletimes....rewer27xml.html). Anyways, what has he done in Seattle, led them to the playoffs in 3 of his 4 years there and a Super Bowl win. Not bad for a franchise not used to success, despite what you'll hear about the "12th Man," they have only 85 straight sellouts in Seattle.

The NCAA can vacate as many wins, titles, individual achievements as they want, but it's hard to say something didn't happen. And btw, the 2003 Rose Bowl, where they finished #1 in the AP Poll wasn't vacated.

@levineps

#97 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Honestly the USC thing doesn't bother me as much as the fact that everyone tends to ignore his previous head coaching failures.  Maybe he learned from those and bettered himself as a coach, or maybe he just has a super talented roster now.  Or a combination of both.

We just see these kind of "wonder-coaches" come and go all the time.  Wouldn't shock me if he were fired by Seattle within 4 years.

He's a few bad seasons from being fired like just about any other coach in the "what have you done for me lately" NFL.

And his "previous head coaching failures" was a single bad 6-10 season with the Jets where it seemed like he wasn't given much of a chance. Not sure I'd call 27-21 with no losing seasons and two playoff appearances in three seasons a failure even if it wasn't good enough for Robert Kraft.

@levineps

#98 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

He's a few bad seasons from being fired like just about any other coach in the "what have you done for me lately" NFL.

And his "previous head coaching failures" was a single bad 6-10 season with the Jets where it seemed like he wasn't given much of a chance. Not sure I'd call 27-21 with no losing seasons and two playoff appearances in three seasons a failure even if it wasn't good enough for Robert Kraft.

Tough to be sandwiched between Parcells and Belicheck for sure.

I'm not saying I think he's a bad coach, because I don't.  I agree with those who sort of brush off the USC thing because as others have mentioned just about everyone does that, he just happened to get caught.

I just really do grow weary of the "what have you done for me lately" approach to sports commentary today, no matter what the subject is.  If for whatever reason the Seahawks struggle the next 2 years, then many of the same people calling him one of the best coaches in the game will be calling for his job.  Just drives me nuts.

#99 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Tough to be sandwiched between Parcells and Belicheck for sure.

I'm not saying I think he's a bad coach, because I don't.  I agree with those who sort of brush off the USC thing because as others have mentioned just about everyone does that, he just happened to get caught.

I just really do grow weary of the "what have you done for me lately" approach to sports commentary today, no matter what the subject is.  If for whatever reason the Seahawks struggle the next 2 years, then many of the same people calling him one of the best coaches in the game will be calling for his job.  Just drives me nuts.

The one thing I'll say to your point about previous head coaching "failures" is many USC fans weren't happy they had to settle for Carroll after many turned down the position. He was probably their 5th choice or so. I just don't think he's Joe Torre going to the Yankees and leading them to 4 WS titles in 5 years.

I'm not as phased by coaches getting fired after a few seasons because that's just the nature of the business. Not saying it's right, but these coaches know what they are signing up for at this point and getting a lot of money to do it.

@levineps

#100 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Was there evidence that he was personally involved in major violations at USC? I honestly don't recall. I had no issue with him leaving or with him at all during his time at USC and I'm a fan of theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=