• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

I wonder if the Terps are a "true" #2 seed, or if it has more to do with the fact that Comcast can't host Rounds 3 & 4? Since all four #1 seeds were left out of the NCAAs before the Terps, I'm guessing it's more the former, although I'm sure the committee is happy not to have to deal with the scheduling headache.

I dunno, it kinda looks like the seeding was designed to create matchups and balance things if you look at it. I like the bracket MD got a lot honestly.
@JeremyMStrain

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

I wonder if the Terps are a "true" #2 seed, or if it has more to do with the fact that Comcast can't host Rounds 3 & 4? Since all four #1 seeds were left out of the NCAAs before the Terps, I'm guessing it's more the former, although I'm sure the committee is happy not to have to deal with the scheduling headache.

They've moved matchups in the past when games can't be accommodated. So if Maryland couldn't host, it would move to the other team.
@levineps

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Kentucky displaced (http://www.ukathleti.../031713aaa.html)
@levineps

#24 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

I dunno, it kinda looks like the seeding was designed to create matchups and balance things if you look at it. I like the bracket MD got a lot honestly.

I see no reason why MD shouldn't advance to NYC, with this draw. But, my God, couldn't we have gotten better than seeing Niagara and the winner of Ohio-Denver at Comcast???? I mean, seriously, talk about uninspiring competition.

(Note: I'm talking about the names of the programs here. I'm sure Denver deserved a 3 seed in the NIT, but honestly, who the heck cares about seeing the University of Denver?)

Robert Morris U made out like a bandit here -- they get to host Kentucky. It's stuff like this that keeps me entertained with the NIT -- big time programs sometimes have to play at the small guy. You don't get that during the regular season.
Perception is reality.

#25 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

I don't get this post. The women's games are March 23 and 25. NIT second round games are March 21-25. Third round games are March 26 and 27. The NIT folks should be able to work around the women's games to allow a second round game at Comcast, I would think.

In theory, Comcast would be available for a third round game.

(Rounds 4 and 5 are in New York -- only 32 teams make the NIT, so it's a 5 round tourney).
Perception is reality.

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I don't get this post. The women's games are March 23 and 25. NIT second round games are March 21-25. Third round games are March 26 and 27. The NIT folks should be able to work around the women's games to allow a second round game at Comcast, I would think.

In theory, Comcast would be available for a third round game.

(Rounds 4 and 5 are in New York -- only 32 teams make the NIT, so it's a 5 round tourney).

Someone was explaining to me, they need two days before to prepare(cover up advertisements, make it more of a "neutral" venue, etc), and the day before for media sessions. That is why Kentucky was displaced despite playing two days before.
@levineps

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Just idea, won't happen and probably unrealistic -- but play the game at Cole if they advance.
@levineps

#28 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Just idea, won't happen and probably unrealistic -- but play the game at Cole if they advance.

Only problem is there is no basketball court at Cole anymore. It's all astroturf (though playing on turf would make for an interesting game).

However, had a court still been at Cole, this would be an interesting idea.
Perception is reality.

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Only problem is there is no basketball court at Cole anymore. It's all astroturf (though playing on turf would make for an interesting game).

However, had a court still been at Cole, this would be an interesting idea.

Isn't the court portable or can't they get a court for a game and remove the astroturf?
@levineps

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Isn't the court portable or can't they get a court for a game and remove the astroturf?

Nah, they tore all the court out perm, now it's a concrete base with a thin layer of astroturf on it for the indoor soccer fields. I imagine it would take a ton of work to get it serviceable enough for a real basketball game.
@JeremyMStrain

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Nah, they tore all the court out perm, now it's a concrete base with a thin layer of astroturf on it for the indoor soccer fields. I imagine it would take a ton of work to get it serviceable enough for a real basketball game.

Probably not worth it for basically a meaningless game. I'm sure if it were viable they would've done it. Win the first round and we can worry about this "problem."
@levineps

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Probably not worth it for basically a meaningless game. I'm sure if it were viable they would've done it. Win the first round and we can worry about this "problem."

Yeah I mean if it were like a long term thing and you are talking about playing a bunch of games (damage at Comcast or something) I'm sure they COULD do it, but the changes they made and lack of updates they've made around the place (the concessions have been gutted and not used in years, very little upkeep in general, a lot of offices turned into classrooms).

I just know the last couple times I was there I sat in the stands just looking around and thought, man, no WAY they could get this place game ready if they had to in a hurry.
@JeremyMStrain

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Normally, I don't really care about the NIT so much when it doesn't involve my teams but must say I'm interested in Kentucky having to go to RMU.
@levineps

#34 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

I've never been more excited to bet a game than I am for Robert Morris tonight.

Kentucky is pissed they're in the NIT...traveling to some 3K seat gym. Meanwhile, this is a cross between Game 7 of the NBA Finals, Game 7 of the World Series, and the Super Bowl for Robert Morris. Atmosphere will be nuts.

88% betting Kentucky and line went from -4.5 to -3.5

Robert Morris will win this by 10.
@PeterDiLutis

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I've never been more excited to bet a game than I am for Robert Morris tonight.

Kentucky is pissed they're in the NIT...traveling to some 3K seat gym. Meanwhile, this is a cross between Game 7 of the NBA Finals, Game 7 of the World Series, and the Super Bowl for Robert Morris. Atmosphere will be nuts.

88% betting Kentucky and line went from -4.5 to -3.5

Robert Morris will win this by 10.

I've seen the debate before, what's better -- winning the NIT or losing in the first round. I don't usually say this, but this game is bigger for Robert Morris than just making the NCAA and losing in the first round. How often does does the holy grail of college basketball go into a tiny gym on the homecourt of a school, 95% of the country hasn't heard of? I criticized Maryland for charging $25 to their NIT game tonight, but I venture to say RMU could charge much more and people would buy it. I can't imagine a more anticipated NIT game. And of course, there's the storyline of this is where Cal grew up.
@levineps

#36 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I've seen the debate before, what's better -- winning the NIT or losing in the first round. I don't usually say this, but this game is bigger for Robert Morris than just making the NCAA and losing in the first round. How often does does the holy grail of college basketball go into a tiny gym on the homecourt of a school, 95% of the country hasn't heard of? I criticized Maryland for charging $25 to their NIT game tonight, but I venture to say RMU could charge much more and people would buy it. I can't imagine a more anticipated NIT game. And of course, there's the storyline of this is where Cal grew up.

Robert Morris cancelled classes for Wednesday as well.
@PeterDiLutis

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

What do they think this is? SEC football? This is like their version of the BCS title game. I'm thinking Cal will just tell him his team, you don't want to be humilated by some school no one has ever heard of.
@levineps

#38 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Haha that is awesome. Good for those students. Is the game on TV?

#39 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Haha that is awesome. Good for those students. Is the game on TV?

It is. This is the 7:30 game on ESPN.

I love the fact the NIT games are on the ESPN channels, while the NCAA "First Four" games are on the network formerly known as Court TV.
Perception is reality.

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

ESPN: ACC coaches reeling from snubs
http://espn.go.com/n...storyId=9071989

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but this isn't a surprising reaction in the least bit by the ACC coaches. There definitely isn't a lot of love for the ACC right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=