• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Assuming MD does not go on a 4 game run in the ACCT, the Terps are looking at the NIT. (MD entered today on Lunardi's next 4 out... so I would guess they would be selected as an NIT at-large.)

I know people hate the NIT, but extending the season further, and getting additional practice time and experience; can only be good for the returning players.

Teams that win their conferences regular season championship, but fail to win their post-season tournament and be selected to the NCAAT, are automatic qualifiers for the NIT.

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Assuming MD does not go on a 4 game run in the ACCT, the Terps are looking at the NIT. (MD entered today on Lunardi's next 4 out... so I would guess they would be selected as an NIT at-large.)

I know people hate the NIT, but extending the season further, and getting additional practice time and experience; can only be good for the returning players.

Teams that win their conferences regular season championship, but fail to win their post-season tournament and be selected to the NCAAT, are automatic qualifiers for the NIT.

They should be in the NIT and that's not such a bad thing. They haven't even been in the postseason for the past two years, haven't made it to the 2nd weekend in the real Tourney in almost a decade. It's disappointing they are where they are, given the history but they can use the NIT to their advantage.
@levineps

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Here is a look at the 2012 NIT, and the 32 teams that were selected:
http://en.wikipedia....tion_Tournament

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't see any value in playing in the NIT for MD. It would be one thing if some of the young players who will be part of the future didn't get a lot of playing time this year, but every one of the freshmen were part of the rotation from Day 1. Sometimes you reach the point where you've done all you can in a season, and it's best to just step back, look at the lessons learned, and start preparing mentally for next season....and I think that's where the Terps are right now.

I also don't think it's a given that they get an NIT invite. If some top-seeded teams in mid-major conferences get upset in their tourneys, NIT bids could be scarce. I do think that MD would accept the invite if offered though. What they certainly won't do is partake in one of the pay-for-play postseason tournaments.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

I don't see any value in playing in the NIT for MD. It would be one thing if some of the young players who will be part of the future didn't get a lot of playing time this year, but every one of the freshmen were part of the rotation from Day 1. Sometimes you reach the point where you've done all you can in a season, and it's best to just step back, look at the lessons learned, and start preparing mentally for next season....and I think that's where the Terps are right now.

I also don't think it's a given that they get an NIT invite. If some top-seeded teams in mid-major conferences get upset in their tourneys, NIT bids could be scarce. I do think that MD would accept the invite if offered though. What they certainly won't do is partake in one of the pay-for-play postseason tournaments.

If they are in the NIT, and lose their first game... obviously there would be no value gained there. However, Allen, Faust, Howard, Wells, Layman, Mitchell, and Cleare all figure to be back next year. I'd like to see them extend this year as long as they can.*

Cleare has been chained to the bench lately. Would like to see him get some run.

*I do think it is a fair point that they might not be selected to the NIT. If that is the case, I could get on-board with just packing it in, and calling it a day vs. going to the CBI.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Considering how much trouble the athletic department it is, I don't think from a fiscal perspective it makes any sense to be in a pay-for-play tourney.
@levineps

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

With a young team obviously more experience can only be a good thing. The NIT undoubtedly would be better than not playing in the postseason.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

With a young team obviously more experience can only be a good thing. The NIT undoubtedly would be better than not playing in the postseason.

I couldn't agree more with this. There's just very little if anything to lose by getting more experience than just sitting in their dorms, watching March Madness with the rest of us.
@levineps

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Bracketology Expert: Selection Sunday NIT Projection
http://www.bracketol...lection-sunday/

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Bracket Project: NIT Projection
http://bracketprojec...bs.com/nit.html

#11 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Go NIT! Selection show on ESPNU at 9. Hoping to match up against the Terps

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'd like to see MD draw a 'BCS' conference team in the 1st round of the NIT.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

I'd like to see MD draw a 'BCS' conference team in the 1st round of the NIT.

Agreed, unlike the NCAAs, I think you want the best possible matchup especially a school like Maryland where it's less about winning it all than getting better.
@levineps

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Comcast Center is hosting opening rounds of the Women's Tournament, so Terps will probably hit the road.

EDIT: Women's Tourney doesn't start until Friday, so they can host first game and probably second (if they advance) at Comcast. However, if Terps are a #1 seed, they probably will have to hit the road if they get to the 3rd and 4th rounds when they ordinarily would have been able to stay at home.

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Terps to Cintas, Terps to Cintas, Terps to Cintas....

In reality, I could see X matching up with X, but it probably won't be until the semifinals or quarters.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Since the "bubble" thread is closed, I'll share this here.

Laura Keeley
@laurakeeley
On the NCAA selection conference call. Last teams out (in no order): Alabama, Iowa, Kentucky, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Virginia

They weren't even close.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Terps will host Niagra Tuesday in the opening round. (7pm, ESPN2)

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

1 Kentucky
8 Robert Morris

4 Providence
5 Charlotte

3 Arizona St
6 Detroit

2 Baylor
7 Long Beach St

1 Southern Miss
8 Charleston Southern

4 Florida State
5 Louisiana Tech

3 BYU
6 Washington

2 Tennessee
7 Mercer

1 Alabama
8 Northeastern

4 Stanford
5 Stephen F. Austin

3 Denver
6 Ohio

2 Maryland
7 Niagara

1 Virginia
8 Norfolk State

4 St. Joseph's
5 St. John's

3 Iowa
6 Indiana State

2 UMass
7 Stony Brook

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

I wonder if the Terps are a "true" #2 seed, or if it has more to do with the fact that Comcast can't host Rounds 3 & 4? Since all four #1 seeds were left out of the NCAAs before the Terps, I'm guessing it's more the former, although I'm sure the committee is happy not to have to deal with the scheduling headache.

#20 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Wow surprised Xavier didn't make NIT. 5 Top 50 RPI wins.

Oh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=