50 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Ok Turg, what are we drawing up this time? Game on the line.
@BSLMikeRandall

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Great hustle play by Faust to get back on that fast break....and then Wells coughs it up.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Ok Turg, what are we drawing up this time? Game on the line.

The right play...but Wells screwed it up.

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

A bitter ending to a disappointing season.

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Nice play call. Faust dribbles around aimlessly and throws a pass to Aronhalt who left his hands on the bench.
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

What an awful year. Huge "F" for Turgeon. He's on notice as far as I'm concerned.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

What an awful year. Huge "F" for Turgeon. He's on notice as far as I'm concerned.

He has work to do. Having a point guard would help, but these young guys were graded high enough as recruits not to make the same mistakes over and over and over again for an entire season.
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

BSL: MD loses in OT at UVA; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
http://baltimorespor...e-bad-the-ugly/

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Watched the replay a couple times. Here's what happened on that inbounds play after Turg called timeout.

Wells inbounds to Faust. Faust dribbles to the left of the arc. Meanwhile, Aronhalt is standing in the corner of the court. Not near, in the corner. If he steps left or back one step he's out of bounds. In no position to receive a pass. Wells walks from inbounding to going toward the other corner and stays right there. Mitchell is down low, Len is 5 feet behind the arc for some reason.

Now Faust gets stuck to the left, with no one moving to get open, Logan still in the corner, Wells not cutting to the basket at all, stays as far away as possible. Mitchell leaving the down low to set a pick, Len still out at the arc. Faust dribbles back right, Mitchell attempts a pick and Len posts up right behind Mitchell (???). Aronhalt comes back to help. Wells stands pat in his corner. Mitchell stands pat after the pick. Len starts rolling toward the lane, but with zero conviction. If Faust would have passed to him it would have hit him in the head. Was not a designed pick and roll.

Pass to Logan...the rest is history. Now I've never coached basketball, but never once having Len anywhere near the basket on that entire series of events is ridiculous. If Aronhalt and Wells were supposed to be decoys to open the lane up, maybe someone should be in the lane? Otherwise, why are these guys in places where they are zero help to Faust, other than decoys.

After Virginia inbounds to a guy who takes 2 steps and scores in under a second, this is the best Turg could come up with? Dribble aimlessly with no help? We need 2 points any way we can get them, so everyone stay as far away from the basket as possible? I don't understand.
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

A little harsh?
@levineps

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

No. When you compare the expectations to the results it's not harsh.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

The expectations were too high. This is a horrible shooting team with nothing close to a PG.

I really believe that if we had anything close to an ACC level PG we would be dancing.

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

The expectations were too high. This is a horrible shooting team with nothing close to a PG.

I really believe that if we had anything close to an ACC level PG we would be dancing.

Too much talent to not be dancing now, despite the PG issue.

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

I disagree. Len and Wells are two good players but neither are close to great college players. Everyone else has some major issues. I mean for every good play Faust or Allen make they make a bad play.As we know, college basketball is about guard play and ours is inconsistent at best, and down right bad at times.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I disagree. Len and Wells are two good players but neither are close to great college players. Everyone else has some major issues. I mean for every good play Faust or Allen make they make a bad play.As we know, college basketball is about guard play and ours is inconsistent at best, and down right bad at times.

Not many good teams out there..the talent in CBB is diluted and there is a ton of parity...MD has a lot more talent than many of the teams that are either going to make or are fighting for a spot.

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

No. When you compare the expectations to the results it's not harsh.

(http://www.washingto...preseason-poll/)
So they were picked to finish 6th and finished 7th. More like people got way too high from beating Mommoth and whining about a lack of respect for not being ranked when they hadn't played a competitive schedule.
@levineps

#37 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

I must disagree.

Expectations were overblown. A weak non-conference schedule didn't help matters as fans and perhaps players had a distorted view of reality. Not having a real point guard is akin to not having a decent quarterback in football. The college game is guard driven and if you don't have leadership on the floor you won't be able to get very far. I'd also say that the lack of multiple shooters (an issue at MD - for years) is also of concern.

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I must disagree.

Expectations were overblown. A weak non-conference schedule didn't help matters as fans and perhaps players had a distorted view of reality. Not having a real point guard is akin to not having a decent quarterback in football. The college game is guard driven and if you don't have leadership on the floor you won't be able to get very far. I'd also say that the lack of multiple shooters (an issue at MD - for years) is also of concern.

Forget the NC schedule...That has nothing to do with the pure talent.

The game that got people excited(and rightfully so) was the Kentucky game. Now, this kentucky team isn't last year's team but with a healthy Noel, they are still very good(they were a top 20 kenpom team with him). MD's talent and athletes were able to hang with a team that has multiple lottery picks and more guys that will be first rounders.

The problem is, that was the best performance all year by the Terps and they never really capitalized on it...part of that reason was the pathetic NC schedule and the fact they never got challenged early.

But the talent level is there. They have a ton of guys that can create their own shots...They have size and talent down low.

Yes, they don't have a true PG and yes that hurts big time but most of college bball doesn't have their size, athleticism and rebounding either...No team has everything, especially in this day and age of basketball...which is why there are very few times anymore that a team loses and you can truly say they were upset.

The problem is, Turg never figured out the right system for these guys...and, they were a dumb team.

You may not advance in the tourney without good PG play but you can certainly get to the tourney without it...it may be more difficult but it causes you to have to do other things..press more, create easy baskets, rebound well, etc....MD chose to not do some of those things.

If MD doesn't make it in, its because of 2 or 3 losses...its not like they were 5-8 games away from making it in.

So yea, the talent was clearly the for them to be a tourney team and they definitely should have been better in conference.

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

I must disagree.

Totally agree, in general, I don't think the college basketball season really starts until the start of the New Year/conference play. This is even more true when you have a weak non-conference schedule. I will say this though, I thought based on that first VT game, they were better than they were. You heard all the talk after this about the lack of respect from the voters, Sweet 16 expectations, possible dark horse team. In the future, I'm going to try to not make too much how a team does based off of primarily weak competition in non-conference play.
@levineps

#40 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Yesterday's loss sums up the the season - promising but still not enough.
The Terps played perhaps their best complete half of the season yesterday with swarming defense, solid communication, crisp offense, and running the break to completition. It was a dominant twenty minutes that was a peek into what the Terps could be. They controlled all aspects against a team who needed this win to keep their tourney hopes alive. I liked the use of the diamond pressure and some 1-3-1 half ct. trap too. The energy level was high and the team seemed focused.

The second half collapse was more about Maryland's lack of confidence and execution more than anything Virginia did. The refs made an unusual decision to tighten up play early on as the Terps committed 6 fouls withing the first five minutes play. MD was unable to play in a rhythmn this was suited more to the Cavs. BTW the technical foul called on Howard was an absolute joke.

But again MD's inability to score in the halfcourt hurt more than anything. Faust disappeared in the second half and so did the Terps ability to push the tempo and pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=