#2461 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,285 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 12:19 PM

McAffee is unbearable.

Hes ok in small doses.  Ive seen enough clips from his podcast to know I dont like any of the guys he does the Pod with. 

#2462 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 01:28 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about Barstool. ESPN sure does make themselves look clueless sometimes. It'd be one thing if they were going all-in on the douchey content and the audience it brings, but they clearly aren't....so why keep bringing these guys in?

They probably think, this guy is popular, we’ll make him play by our rules. But then…they don’t. Shocking, I know. Tale as old as time.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2463 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 January 2024 - 01:36 PM

They probably think, this guy is popular, we’ll make him play by our rules. But then…they don’t. Shocking, I know. Tale as old as time.

Like…the thing that makes him popular is the thing they don’t want in an employee. They don’t get it
  • Mike in STL likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2464 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 January 2024 - 02:26 PM

Like…the thing that makes him popular is the thing they don’t want in an employee. They don’t get it

The tank tops 24/7/365?

#2465 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 January 2024 - 08:38 PM

It's like how they apologized for showing the live shot of Bourbon Street during the Sugar Bowl because a woman showed her breasts. Like, hello you idiots, it's Bourbon Street, what did you expect??? Even Stevie Wonder sees boobs there.

• Mike in STL likes this

#2466 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 12:58 AM

Hes ok in small doses.  Ive seen enough clips from his podcast to know I dont like any of the guys he does the Pod with. 

No, he’s not, and that’s because the “He’s OK once in a while” mindset is why ESPN is shoving him down America’s throat. 

He’s just the latest example of chumming the waters of the lowest common denominator.

#2467 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 10:40 PM

The New York Post's Andrew Marchand reports ESPN and the NFL are close to a deal that would give the league a stake in the network.

So if you thought ESPN was afraid to piss off the NFL before....

#2468 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 10:59 AM

The Ringer: ESPN’s Year From Hell

#2469 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 05:40 PM

The New York Post's Andrew Marchand reports ESPN and the NFL are close to a deal that would give the league a stake in the network.

So if you thought ESPN was afraid to piss off the NFL before....

The NBA is apparently still in the mix to get a piece of ESPN too.

https://frontoffices...-piece-of-espn/

#2470 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 04:53 PM

ESPN: What the new Diamond-Amazon deal means for MLB, NBA, NHL

https://www.espn.com...ing-mlb-nba-nhl

#2471 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:35 PM

Sports Illustrated, or more accurately the company that operates the publication, laid off their entire staff today. The future of SI is unknown at this point.

https://frontoffices...future-unclear/

#2472 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:56 PM

Sports Illustrated, or more accurately the company that operates the publication, laid off their entire staff today. The future of SI is unknown at this point.

https://frontoffices...future-unclear/

Well AI is writing their articles now, so there's that. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#2473 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 01:20 PM

Well AI is writing their articles now, so there's that. 

Yeah, that's really gonna work out well. Just for shiggles I asked ChatGPT to come up with something using this prompt.

"write a 250 word article on the baltimore orioles pursuit of a starting pitcher for the 2024 team"

Here's what I got.

The Baltimore Orioles are on a quest to bolster their pitching rotation for the 2024 season, aiming to secure a reliable starting pitcher to enhance their competitiveness in the league. As of now, the team is actively exploring various options and facing challenges in acquiring an ace-caliber arm.

Recent reports suggest that the Orioles' pursuit for a starting pitcher has encountered hurdles, with an MLB executive providing a concerning update about the team's search for an ace-caliber arm. The team's potential target, Milwaukee Brewers' starter Corbin Burnes, seems to be off the table following a trade with the New York Mets.

In the Orioles' pursuit, Dylan Cease emerges as a notable name, considered the ultimate ace target to fill the void in their starting rotation. The team's active involvement in free-agent discussions has sparked speculations about potential signings to strengthen their pitching staff.

Orioles fans can anticipate significant developments as the team navigates the challenges of the off-season, hoping to secure a valuable addition to their pitching rotation for the upcoming season. The outcome of their pursuit will undoubtedly shape the team's prospects in the highly competitive landscape of Major League Baseball.

So Burnes was traded to the Mets? Better not tell dude, or he'll go on a 50 paragraph meltdown.

Looks like they scraped off Roch's blog too, with the "challenges" the Orioles have imposed upon themselves.

• Mike in STL likes this

#2474 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 03:20 PM

So maybe not entirely done, but not looking good. Forde works at SI (and I'm guessing wasn't among those laid off).

Pat Forde

To correct some erroneous reporting, Matt Lombardi of the Arena Group: "We are going to continue to operate Sports Illustrated. ... Either Arena or someone else is going to have the license to operate Sports Illustrated."

The entire staff was not laid off. There still is a website and a magazine. That said: Ugly, brutal day with many layoffs. Nothing quite like hearing colleagues and friends saying they just got termination emails in real time while on a Union zoom call.

#2475 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 03:19 PM

Jon Heyman

LA Times laid off its 2 baseball team beat writers @ByJackHarris and @Sarah_IsabelVee among a reported 115 union layoffs. I recall a time when the LA Times was a serious newspaper. Very sad day in journalism!

#2476 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 05:27 PM

The Ringer: Tony Romo Needs a Reboot

#2477 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 05:55 PM

Huge media news: ESPN, Fox, and Warner Bros are planning to launch a joint sports streaming service later this year. The move will place content from ESPN, TNT, and Fox Sports on a new standalone app and will have significant ramifications for the future of TV sports. The platform does not yet have a name or a price.

#2478 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 06:50 PM

Subscribers will have access to linear sports networks including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNEWS, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2, BTN, TNT, TBS, truTV and ESPN+. It can also be bundled with Disney+, Hulu and/or Max

https://theathletic....ource=twitterhq

#2479 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 06:59 PM

This has the potential to be another nail in the coffin of RSNs.

#2480 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 February 2024 - 07:12 PM

https://theathletic....ource=twitterhq

Weird TNT TBS and TruTv are involved and CBS Isn’t

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."