2487 replies to this topic

#2421 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 April 2023 - 03:09 PM

Sounds like FiveThirtyEight as we've known it is coming to an end. Lots of people there have been let go as part of Disney's layoffs, and Nate Silver says he'll be leaving when his contract is up, which is "soon." It also sounds like the licensing for all the statistical models that basically comprise the site will also expire with Silver's contract, so it could reemerge elsewhere, though Disney/ABC News apparently keep the FiveThirtyEight.com branding.

https://awfulannounc...it-layoffs.html

#2422 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:09 AM

I reached out to Van Gundy after Andrew's newsbreak. The report is accurate. He's declining comment for now. Van Gundy had time left on his contract. It's a terrible decision IMO given he's become one of the essential NBA game analysts in history.

#2423 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:11 AM

Chuck surprised Ernie with the news that he will be inducted into the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame

#2424 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:32 AM

That's crappy regarding Van Gundy.

They do have other talent that can step up into larger roles, but he was really good imo and easily better than Jackson for instance.

#2425 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:55 AM

@Ballislife
ESPN has reportedly laid off: Jeff Van Gundy (16 years) Jalen Rose (15 years) LaPhonso Ellis (14 years) Max Kellerman Keyshawn Johnson

#2426 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:28 PM

Aw, they laid off Suzy Kolber, too.

#2427 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 08:56 PM

Todd McShay, Steve Young, Matt Hasselbeck...   McShay surprises me. 

Pat McAfee really worth the contract he got?

#2428 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 09:02 PM

Todd McShay, Steve Young, Matt Hasselbeck... McShay surprises me.

He will be gone soon enough too. All the people listed here have 10+ years there. People come and go. Btw how Young ever made it as long as he did is surprising. He was never special.

#2429 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:18 PM

He will be gone soon enough too. All the people listed here have 10+ years there. People come and go. Btw how Young ever made it as long as he did is surprising. He was never special.

He's an NFL MVP, SB winning QB that happens to be a descendant of freakin Brigham Young. He's going to land at Fox is my guess. 

#2430 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 01:24 AM

I’m sure ESPN is betting McAfee’s format is going to be more engaging, especially for younger viewers, than what they’ve let go of the past several months. We’ll see. But with pay-TV subscribers continuing to drop, and a DTC product on the way sometime in the next several years they’ll need to sell, they don’t want to just sit on their hands.

#2431 BSLMiltonKent

BSLMiltonKent

Sports Media Analyst

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 08:34 AM

BSL: Thoughts on the MASN and ESPN Additions and Subtractions

https://baltimorespo...d-subtractions/

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe and Mike B like this

#2432 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 July 2023 - 08:35 PM

The Sports leader seems to be ruthless in dealing with some long time on air talent, but Disney is laying off  thousands of employees too.

@mikeghg

#2433 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 08:35 AM

Football Outsiders: Football Outsiders founder and EIC Aaron Schatz resigns after 20 years, shortly after troubling Champion Gaming financials emerge

https://awfulannounc...ion-gaming.html

#2434 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 09:50 AM

The New York Times is disbanding its sports department. Their sports coverage will now come primarily from The Athletic. NYT says they don’t expect layoffs, and sports staff will be reassigned to other departments.

Not surprised, as they seem redundant under the same roof. Still not sure I want to keep subscribing to The Athletic given how local coverage is getting slashed. Seems more and more that sports journalism is getting absorbed by the realm of Twitter hot takes.

#2435 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 12:42 PM

The New York Times is disbanding its sports department. Their sports coverage will now come primarily from The Athletic. NYT says they don’t expect layoffs, and sports staff will be reassigned to other departments.

Not surprised, as they seem redundant under the same roof. Still not sure I want to keep subscribing to The Athletic given how local coverage is getting slashed. Seems more and more that sports journalism is getting absorbed by the realm of Twitter hot takes.

Newspapers should shift gears and run more human interest pieces. Highlight the things going on in their communities that aren’t summed up in 140 characters, or an alert sent to the phone. Throw in some comics, the days weather, and sports league standings. They are very obsolete otherwise. Anything major read at 6am happened by 10pm the night before and isn’t news to anyone with a tv, tablet, or smartphone.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2436 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 03:44 PM

Newspapers should shift gears and run more human interest pieces. Highlight the things going on in their communities that aren’t summed up in 140 characters, or an alert sent to the phone. Throw in some comics, the days weather, and sports league standings. They are very obsolete otherwise. Anything major read at 6am happened by 10pm the night before and isn’t news to anyone with a tv, tablet, or smartphone.

I think they are more valuable than just human interest stuff. It's the investigative journalism, especially at the local levels, that will really be missed. Think of all the stories of major wrongdoing that newspapers broke open over the years, often after many months of investigating and chasing down sources. CNN or FOX News definitely aren't going to do the legwork on that type of stuff.

Look at what happened at Northwestern as an example. Pat Fitzgerald was going to get two weeks off in July after a whitewashed Friday news dump press release. Then the student paper dug into it and interviewed a couple whistleblowers, and next thing you know the university changed its mind and fired Fitzgerald. No new information for the decision makers, just some of the details were public knowledge now. The cynic in me thinks universities everywhere are looking at that thinking they should severely cut funding to their student papers.

• Mike in STL and makoman like this

#2437 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 04:11 PM

Interesting comments by Disney CEO Bob Iger (who now will be around through 2026) saying they may look to take on a partner/investor for ESPN. Also says they might sell off all their non-ESPN channels (ABC, FX, etc.)

https://www.cnbc.com...-tv-assets.html

#2438 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 09:26 AM

The Ringer: 22 Years of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman

#2439 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:14 AM

Surprise surprise….with only hours to go until MNF kicks off, Disney and Charter reached an agreement that will put ESPN and other Disney channels back on Charter/Spectrum cable systems.

#2440 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:53 AM

The little bit of McAfee's show that I saw last week was pretty annoying.  That said, the preceding four hours of Get Up and First Take are essentially the same Cowboys and Aaron Rodgers stories over and over so the bar is pretty low.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=