2487 replies to this topic

#61 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

One funny thing I've noticed recently on ESPN, or at least on their ticker at the bottom of the screen is how they credit sources. 

Like, if say the AP or USA Today or whomever (other than ESPN) is the one that initially breaks a story the ticker will say something like "Derek Rose has grade 4 ACL & MCL tear, as first reported by USA Today."

Than like an hour or so later, once ESPN has been able to confirm the story through their own source the ticker changes to "Derek Rose has grade 4 ACL & MCL tear, as reported by ESPN and other media outlets." 

To me, for some reason, it's funny that the initialy source that reports/breaks a story is marginalized once ESPN's own source can confirm a story.

It's a CYA thing too. If the original source ends up being inaccurate or completely wrong, ESPN doesn't have to have egg on their face.

#62 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

It's definitely getting better. They got a lot of criticism from Deadspin and other outlets (especially from the journalists themselves) for simply crediting their own reporters whenever they got the story even if they didn't get a scoop from their own sources. So while "...as reported by ESPN and other outlets" isn't perfect, it's an improvement.

The whole layoffs issue is very fishy to me. As is mentioned in many of these stories, ESPN makes a ridiculous amount of money, even if other outlets and Disney are losing revenue. Rights fees may be skyrocketing, but not to the point where ESPN should be cutting essentially ten percent of its staff.

Deadspin put out a theory that ESPN needs immediate cash to complete their new studio building (the $125M Sportscenter set being talked about), and in order for Disney to approve the outlay of $15M they demanded staff cuts. That I find interesting.

@DJ_McCann

#63 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

FS1 just signed Raftery. Huge get. Him and Gus Johnson calling Big East games.

Also, FS1 announced that the first day of Big East conference games will be on New Years' Eve with a marathon of 5 games.

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

http://msn.foxsports...big-east-062713

#65 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

FS1 just signed Raftery. Huge get. Him and Gus Johnson calling Big East games.

Also, FS1 announced that the first day of Big East conference games will be on New Years' Eve with a marathon of 5 games.

Does that mean Screamin' Gus is no longer doing games on Big Ten Network? I was really looking forward to him calling some Terps games down the road.

#66 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Does that mean Screamin' Gus is no longer doing games on Big Ten Network? I was really looking forward to him calling some Terps games down the road.

He's too busy indulging his first love--international soccer.

@DJ_McCann

#67 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

FS1 will be good. I'm pumped about it for UFC, but it's going to be good stuff. Just another channel for us, guys.

@AdamWolff

#68 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:52 AM

FS1 will be good. I'm pumped about it for UFC, but it's going to be good stuff. Just another channel for us, guys.

Competition is better for everyone.

@levineps

#69 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:52 AM

It might not be, both are Fox properties.

@levineps

#70 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

It might not be, both are Fox properties.

True. Although I would think that as one of their prime P-B-P personalities, Fox would want to feature him primarily on the channel that they fully own and are focused on building the brand for.

#71 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

http://deadspin.com/...matte-722030528

ESPN's overall ratings dropped 20 percent in the first quarter from last season. As the article mentions, this is without Monday Night Football and other events later in the year, but also without Fox Sports 1, launching in August.

What most interests me, though: ESPN makes up FORTY-FIVE PERCENT of Disney's operating income.

@DJ_McCann

#72 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

So, Yasiel Puig says:

"In Cuba, there wasn't much press. Here, I have a lot of press on me, and it's not something I really like. Maybe they don't understand the situation I'm in0. I'm not bad, I just don't like the press and I don't like the fame. I'm having fun and I want my team to get the attention. There are a lot of guys in the bullpen or in the dugout waiting for their turn to talk. It's not that I don't want to give an interview, I just don't want all the press all over me."

So, ESPN, MLB Network, and numerous other sports outlets/media talk about the guy 24/7.  It's almost Tebow-esque at this point, except Puig is actually pretty good.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#73 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

So, Yasiel Puig says:

"In Cuba, there wasn't much press. Here, I have a lot of press on me, and it's not something I really like. Maybe they don't understand the situation I'm in0. I'm not bad, I just don't like the press and I don't like the fame. I'm having fun and I want my team to get the attention. There are a lot of guys in the bullpen or in the dugout waiting for their turn to talk. It's not that I don't want to give an interview, I just don't want all the press all over me."

So, ESPN, MLB Network, and numerous other sports outlets/media talk about the guy 24/7.  It's almost Tebow-esque at this point, except Puig is actually pretty good.

Unlike Tebow, the hype will eventually die down. He'll regress a bit, turn into something between a solid and very good player, and he'll be like anyone else.

@DJ_McCann

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Unlike Tebow, the hype will eventually die down. He'll regress a bit, turn into something between a solid and very good player, and he'll be like anyone else.

Although still in L.A.... which is why it's such a shit storm anyway. Manny, while a lot has been written about him, hasn't gotten a 10th of the attention Puig has.

#75 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

The show, it just got a little big bigger again.

http://www.nytimes.c...&seid=auto&_r=0

@DJ_McCann

#76 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

The show, it just got a little big bigger again.

http://www.nytimes.c...&seid=auto&_r=0

And here I thought that bridge had been burnt forever. I should have known better.

#77 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

And here I thought that bridge had been burnt forever. I should have known better.

Goes with the old NEVER say never. What's the over/under with Olbermann at ESPN this time around, a year?

@levineps

#78 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Goes with the old NEVER say never. What's the over/under with Olbermann at ESPN this time around, a year?

With the much-anticipated launch of Fox Sports 1 just a month away, and ESPN wanting to remain at the forefront, I could see him getting a longer leash than he otherwise might.

#79 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

With the much-anticipated launch of Fox Sports 1 just a month away, and ESPN wanting to remain at the forefront, I could see him getting a longer leash than he otherwise might.

I'm not sure how scared ESPN is of Fox Sports 1. I doubt they are much. Hopefully the competition gives us better products though.

@levineps

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm not sure how scared ESPN is of Fox Sports 1. I doubt they are much. Hopefully the competition gives us better products though.

Scared isn't the word I would use. But the fact that they are bringing back Olbermann, after the acrimonious break up, to coincide with the launch of FS1 would indicate to me that they are very much on ESPN's radar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=