#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

(http://sports.espn.g...blewatch?id=148)

Maryland [20-10 (8-9), RPI: 68, SOS: 129] As soon as Maryland fell to UNC at home Wednesday, the pronouncements started coming far and wide (OK, maybe just on Twitter): Maryland's done! They're going to the NIT! Loud noises! I wouldn't discount them so fast. Sure, the Terps' profile isn't great and they were already on the wrong side of the bubble before Wednesday's loss. But I'm not sure how much a loss to UNC hurts you at this point, and the bubble doesn't really operate on opportunity cost. Is Maryland really in worse shape now? Either way, the Terps weren't in a great spot before the night started, and now they almost certainly need to win at Virginia this weekend in what could end up being a do-or-die bubble showdown. It's a race to the finish.

I said yesterday I could see them still getting in as an AT-L if they run the tables to the ACC Finals and possibly if they beat atleast one marquee team and making it to the semis. This is still better than I would've thought.
@levineps

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Posted Image

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Well, MD knows they will have the opportunity to play Duke if they beat Wake in round 1 of the ACCT.

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

(http://sports.espn.g...ncb/bubblewatch)

Maryland [21-11 (8-10), RPI: 82, SOS: 118] The Terps survived an NIT-guaranteeing potential loss against the typically dismal Wake Forest Demon Deacons Thursday, a win which nonetheless still leaves them outside serious bubble contention. After all, the Terps do have just four wins against teams ranked better than 150 in the RPI; that two of them came against Duke and NC State doesn't really matter, given the utter softness of Maryland's nonconference schedule (No. 297), ugly RPI and a sheet full of cupcakes. It's easy to pick on, say, Southern Miss when we're talking about the mediocrity on the bubble, but really, the fact that the Terps are even still in fringe contention for an at-large bid says it best. And with all of that discouragement out of the way, Maryland's win Thursday did one thing: It gave them another crack at Duke. I'm not sure I?'d slot Maryland in the tournament even if they do win Friday, but that win obviously couldn't hurt.

@levineps

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Somehow there's still hope. Have to beat Duke tomorrow night, after that anything could happen. I'm not sure if a win over Duke would cut it, but it would place them squarely on the bubble rather than "on the outside looking in". Beating Duke twice in a season would be huge for the program. Let's hope they can get it done.
@BSLZackKiesel

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

I mean eventually we have to beat these guys in the ACC tourney. It's been since when 2004? Praying for a miracle.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I mean eventually we have to beat these guys in the ACC tourney. It's been since when 2004? Praying for a miracle.

If Alex Len is going to leave early could he at least go on a Gilchrist like run and dominate the weekend leading the Terps to the ACC title before he goes?

#28 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

If Jim Hunter comes in here talking about the Law of Averages, I'm done.
@BSLZackKiesel

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Somehow there's still hope. Have to beat Duke tomorrow night, after that anything could happen. I'm not sure if a win over Duke would cut it, but it would place them squarely on the bubble rather than "on the outside looking in". Beating Duke twice in a season would be huge for the program. Let's hope they can get it done.

I agree it would be good, but at the same it doesn't negate all the bad losses and lack of road wins. If they had won all three of the "must win" games they lost, they'd probably be in. If they had won a few of them, likewise they'd be in with a Duke win. I think they'll need this win and another win on Saturday and then some help. As you said, there's still hope and that's better than nothing. A loss to WF, would've made a disappointing season even worse. If they beat Duke, and that's a big "if," this season isn't as big of a disappointment IMO.
@levineps

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yeah that was quite the ride, one of my favorite sports experiences. I do think the last time they won before that was like 1984 or something though.
@levineps

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

(http://espn.go.com/b...-still-a-1-seed)

LAST FOUR BYES
Oklahoma
California
Saint Mary's
Wichita State

LAST FOUR IN
Boise State
La Salle
Middle Tennessee
Ole Miss (last "in" pending late game vs. Missouri)

FIRST FOUR OUT
Virginia
Kentucky (out with loss to Vanderbilt)
Alabama
Maryland (up one group until further study)

NEXT FOUR OUT
Tennessee
Southern Miss
Iowa
Baylor

They should pass Kentucky/UVA with a win. However, it's dicey if Bama wins since they'll have just beaten Florida and were already ahead. You could probably make arguments either way. We want Southern Miss to lose in the C-USA Champ game as Memphis is already in. Just based on this list don't have to worry about any other teams passing us for "at-large" bids, just have to worry about the Utahs/Vandys possibly stealing bids. Speaking of which, Ole Miss/Vandy play in a somewhat-elimination game tomorrow. Ole Miss won(after this was done), you definitely want an Ole Miss win to eliminate Vandy as there is still a chance Ole Miss could probably make it as an at-large. Boise/La Salle/Middle Tenn seasons are all over, so in theory, we should only be able to pass them, I guess the computers might feel differently about this. So I was probably underestimating their chances of needing to win it all. I still think they need to win tomorrow to make it, but it's possible although very unlikely of making the Tourney without winning tomorrow.
@levineps

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

(http://espn.go.com/b...days-final-look)

1-SEEDS
Indiana/MIDWEST
Gonzaga/WEST
Louisville/EAST
Duke/SOUTH

2-SEEDS
Kansas/SOUTH
Miami/WEST
Ohio State/EAST
Georgetown/MIDWEST

LAST FOUR BYES
Oklahoma
California
Saint Mary's
Wichita State

LAST FOUR IN
Boise State
La Salle
Middle Tennessee
Ole Miss

FIRST FOUR OUT
Virginia
Kentucky
Alabama
Maryland

NEXT FOUR OUT
Tennessee
Southern Miss
Massachusetts
Iowa

Basically the same thing, only difference is UMass, basically we just want them NOT winning the A-10 Tourney as the other three teams in the semis are all "locks."

Saw this tidbit on Twitter:

@ESPNLunardi In... “@DGill23: @ESPNLunardi What if MD beats UNC tomorrow?”

@levineps

#33 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Southern Miss and Alabama both on the bubble in close games.

@bopper33

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Btw most probably know this but Eamonn Brennan on espn does a great job monitoring the bubble.

@bopper33

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

BracketWag: Latest Bracket
http://www.bracketwag.com/

#36 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Memphis wins. Big for Terps c

@bopper33

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Alabama loses as well. Lots of last teams in/first teams out losing.

@bopper33

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Alabama loses as well. Lots of last teams in/first teams out losing.

Yeah - good day so far for the Terps. I feel confident a win gets them in here. Interesting that Hairston is a game time decision.

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Not that it matters much at this point, but Ole Miss winning hurt. Ultimately I don't think the Terps get any consideration for losing a close game today. At this point they can only look back at bad losses to BC and GT, and inexcusable blown leads vs FSU and UVA, and wonder "what if."

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I don't expect MD to get selected tomorrow, and based on their overall resume - they should not.

I think ability wise they belong in the tournament, and it should kill them that they did not achieve more. It is going to be hard to get past the late losses to BC, and GT. The loss at UVA is the real killer though.

If they wind-up getting selected, I'll be elated. If they head to the NIT, I hope they play possessed and add some additional wins to their overall record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=