#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Villanova and UVA lose today which obviously helps the Terps as those two are both bubbleicious right now. Terps still need to take care of business but if they need help to get in they may have gotten a little bit of it today...

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Villanova and UVA lose today which obviously helps the Terps as those two are both bubbleicious right now. Terps still need to take care of business but if they need help to get in they may have gotten a little bit of it today...

Probably would have been better for MD had UVA won. UVA figures to get in, and MD still has the head-to-head game. Had UVA won today, their resume would've been that much better, and made a possible win at UVA that much more significant.

One game at a time. All talk about MD right now comes back to Wednesday night vs. UNC. At-least for myself, I can't even really think about UVA or the ACCT until seeing if MD can defend their home court vs. the Tar Heels.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Probably would have been better for MD had UVA won. UVA figures to get in, and MD still has the head-to-head game. Had UVA won today, their resume would've been that much better, and made a possible win at UVA that much more significant.

One game at a time. All talk about MD right now comes back to Wednesday night vs. UNC. At-least for myself, I can't even really think about UVA or the ACCT until seeing if MD can defend their home court vs. the Tar Heels.

I think that's the right approach. I mean there's only so much MD can control. If they can't beat UNC, it won't matter too much anyways. I just wouldn't get too much worked up over other teams wins/losses to begin with right now. That said with all the attention being paid to Bracketology and/or the Bubble Watch, I understand why many get so consumed by this stuff.

I was telling another Buffs fan a month ago, when he was dissecting every result, that it was a bit overkill. He said, "someone has to do it."
@levineps

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

I dunno I guess personally I think dissecting resumes and stuff like that leading up to selection Sunday is part of the fun.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

I dunno I guess personally I think dissecting resumes and stuff like that leading up to selection Sunday is part of the fun.

Yeah, I think that's true for a lot of people. Joey Brackets does a good job of making it that way.

The big thing to me is a single win or loss, especially the latter isn't as good or bad as it's made out to be especially before mid-Feb to March 1st.
@levineps

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Nothing wrong with it at all. For MD, I think it is pretty clear though. You have to beat UNC, win at UVA, and probably 2 games (possibly 1) in the ACCT.

If you don't beat UNC, probably have to win the ACCT.

So for me, just easier to compartmentalize. Beat UNC, and then you can think about UVA.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Nothing wrong with it at all. For MD, I think it is pretty clear though. You have to beat UNC, win at UVA, and probably 2 games (possibly 1) in the ACCT.

If you don't beat UNC, probably have to win the ACCT.

So for me, just easier to compartmentalize. Beat UNC, and then you can think about UVA.

Yep...I don't think there is any doubt there...UNC is a must win if you want to get in without winning ACCT..which may have to happen anyway...but if they best UNC and UVA and get to finals of ACCT, that may be enough.

Lunardi has them as second team in next four out category.

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

I've mentioned this before, and I know there are particular circumstances for this, but since the original expansion of the NCAA tournament to allow at-larges in 1975, no Maryland team has ever won 20 games and not made it.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

I've mentioned this before, and I know there are particular circumstances for this, but since the original expansion of the NCAA tournament to allow at-larges in 1975, no Maryland team has ever won 20 games and not made it.

OOC sked is killing them.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

OOC sked is killing them.

Like I said, particular circumstances.

I just find it interesting; other ACC teams have been left off with 21 or 22 wins or more. Never Maryland.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yep...I don't think there is any doubt there...UNC is a must win if you want to get in without winning ACCT..which may have to happen anyway...but if they best UNC and UVA and get to finals of ACCT, that may be enough.

Lunardi has them as second team in next four out category.

Proof once more a single win or loss doesn't likely rise or drop you more than entire seed. They were the third on the "next four out" prior to the game IIRC. That list you have must be on TV since he hasn't updated since Friday online.

I think if they beat UNC/UVA, they could probably get a bid with two wins, possibly one -- assuming those wins are a quality team like Duke. They got their work cut out for them for sure.

Also, I don't know how relevant it is that Maryland has never missed the tournament when they have won 20 games. There's a first for everything. And I don't think the same people are on the committee who have been in the past.
@levineps

#12 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

The Terps must defend the home court and get a win over UNC.

After that they'd need either two wins in the ACC tourney or a win at UVA and one in the tourney. That might be enough.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

The Terps must defend the home court and get a win over UNC.

After that they'd need either two wins in the ACC tourney or a win at UVA and one in the tourney. That might be enough.

I don't disagree with this assessment at all. I think four straight and they'll be in.
@levineps

#14 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

I don't think the Terps need 2 ACC tourney wins. If they win the next 3 games, they're a lock IMO unless you have several crazy conference tourneys with teams coming out of no where securing automatic bids.

The bubble is awful this year and the bubble teams are dropping like flies. If MD beats a mid-seed Carolina team on national TV, goes to Virginia, another tourney team, and wins, and then wins a first round game, they'd finish the season with 23 wins, 11-9 in the ACC, and 1-1 in the tourney. They also will have won 5 of 7 games, including 4 of their last 5.

No chance that doesn't get them in IMO. I think we underestimated the NC game since Carolina had a bad stretch, but they're back to being a very good win if MD can take them down tomorrow night, which I think they will.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Tonight's game is huge. National TV against a team with a good RPI and a good reputation. That UVA game will be big as well, especially since it's on the road. There seems to be more parity this year in college hoops, and the bubble teams are falling in and out of the bubble because of it. But if the Terps win out and lose the first game of the ACC Tourney, things could get dicey. They have to win at least 1 ACC Tourney game no matter what IMO. Two wins would be much more helpful, and could set them apart from other bubble teams.
@BSLZackKiesel

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Tonight's game is huge. National TV against a team with a good RPI and a good reputation. That UVA game will be big as well, especially since it's on the road. There seems to be more parity this year in college hoops, and the bubble teams are falling in and out of the bubble because of it. But if the Terps win out and lose the first game of the ACC Tourney, things could get dicey. They have to win at least 1 ACC Tourney game no matter what IMO. Two wins would be much more helpful, and could set them apart from other bubble teams.

Bottomline, if they win tonight, the UVA game is bigger; if they don't, I think the game is of diminished importance and would probably need a miraclous run in the ACC Tourney of getting to atleast the Finals and/or beating really good teams in it.

Well we've dissected all these games a lot -- BC/GT were considered "must wins" by many and they didn't win them. Time to play!
@levineps

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I still think they're out even if they win the next three but can't finish with a big win against Miami or Duke in the ACC Tournament. Losing to both GT and BC has really set the team back. I wouldn't be 100% convinced they can't make it with that resume, but I wouldn't be expecting a berth or think they are deserving of one if they get left out.

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

I still think they're out even if they win the next three but can't finish with a big win against Miami or Duke in the ACC Tournament. Losing to both GT and BC has really set the team back. I wouldn't be 100% convinced they can't make it with that resume, but I wouldn't be expecting a berth or think they are deserving of one if they get left out.

I agree. Probably need to win the next 4 though I'm holding out hope that the bubble is soft and should they win the next 3 and then play Duke or Miami really tough that they could find a way in.

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

I agree. Probably need to win the next 4 though I'm holding out hope that the bubble is soft and should they win the next 3 and then play Duke or Miami really tough that they could find a way in.

Agree with bnickle and mackus. Joe Lunardi is usually right on when it comes to predicting brackets. He's got us "next four out," right where we we're when we beat Duke. After that win he still only moved us to "first four out," Maybe home wins don't help as much because you should win your home games. Wins tonight and on the road at UVA will be a lot to ask for from this team. It would still leave us on the outside. If they pull it off, then two wins in the ACCs is a must to jump up into "Last four in." Then you have to hope an at large from a mid-major conference doesn't lose their tournament and steal one of those bids. Like if Memphis or Southern Miss doesn't win the C-USA, Creighton or Witchita St. doesn't win the MVC, Middle Tenn. St. doesn't win the Sun Belt, Louisiana Tech loses the WAC. As crazy as this season has been, who knows? I think Maryland is NIT bound unless they get hot.
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Agree with bnickle and mackus. Joe Lunardi is usually right on when it comes to predicting brackets. He's got us "next four out," right where we we're when we beat Duke. After that win he still only moved us to "first four out," Maybe home wins don't help as much because you should win your home games. Wins tonight and on the road at UVA will be a lot to ask for from this team. It would still leave us on the outside. If they pull it off, then two wins in the ACCs is a must to jump up into "Last four in." Then you have to hope an at large from a mid-major conference doesn't lose their tournament and steal one of those bids. Like if Memphis or Southern Miss doesn't win the C-USA, Creighton or Witchita St. doesn't win the MVC, Middle Tenn. St. doesn't win the Sun Belt, Louisiana Tech loses the WAC. As crazy as this season has been, who knows? I think Maryland is NIT bound unless they get hot.

I largely agree with this especially with them being on the outside looking in. I could see them winning next three and getting in, four would probably do it, not accounting for many AT-L teams winning single bid leagues.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=