• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

This is easily my least favorite Maryland team of all time. There have been some worse teams (though not many) in the 20 years or so that I've been watching, but this is my least favorite.

I think we are around the same age. My least favorite team was the Senior year Hipp, Simpkins, Rhodes team. It is annoying that this team can be in that same discussion.

#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think we are around the same age. My least favorite team was the Senior year Hipp, Simpkins, Rhodes team. It is annoying that this team can be in that same discussion.

More than likely he blocked that team out :P At least these guys are freshmen and sophomores.

#43 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think Mackus' thoughts are pretty spot on. This team has not progressed at all. In many cases, as a team, they've regressed. Just about every time they've been mentally tested, they've failed. Maybe they're just a team of uncoachable guys, but I'm just really, really unimpressed by the job Turgeon has done.

@AdamWolff

#44 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

The Gilchrist/McCray/Garrison teams were pretty unlikeable. Talk about a group of guys with tons of talent but 10 cent heads. Garrison probably takes the cake for me. Guy had the body and talent of an all-american but no heart.

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

That the Santa Clara loss or the College of Charleston loss?

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Put a fork in them.

Aside from how much we like watching this team, has there been any MD teams that have been bigger disappointments? This team was expected to win 12 or more ACC games by most of us and now it looks like they won't even make the tourney.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

The Gilchrist/McCray/Garrison teams were pretty unlikeable. Talk about a group of guys with tons of talent but 10 cent heads. Garrison probably takes the cake for me. Guy had the body and talent of an all-american but no heart.

I liked Gilchrist a lot, and he did get us an ACC tournament win (our only won that I am old enough to remember). I do blame him for missing the tournament in his junior year as his sophomore success went to his head and Gary couldn't reign him in. The next year was really frustrating, but I think that team would have been decent had McCray not skipped his finals in December and gotten kicked off the team. There are a few guys on those squads that I did really like and who redeemed themselves later on. I don't remember being as angry at those teams while the seasons were going on as I am at this one (aside from McCray for off-the-court reasons). Gilchrist I couldn't get too mad at since he had just won us an ACC tournament. The next year I couldn't get too mad at the guys left on the team because McCray getting kicked off completely changed the complexion of that team.

#48 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Santa Clara.

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Santa Clara, '96.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Put a fork in them.

Aside from how much we like watching this team, has there been any MD teams that have been bigger disappointments? This team was expected to win 12 or more ACC games by most of us and now it looks like they won't even make the tourney.

Gilchrist's junior year was a pretty huge disappointment. ACC tourney champs and a 4-seed the previous year, returned everyone except Jamar Smith basically, and they didn't make the tourney, ending a really long streak.

#51 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Steve Nash loss.

BTW.. My least favorite team was 05-06 team. That being NCM, Garrison, McCray's dimissal year. I hated pretty much everyone on that team outside of DJ and Mike Jones and even those two guys had their moments.

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

I liked Gilchrist a lot, and he did get us an ACC tournament win (our only won that I am old enough to remember). I do blame him for missing the tournament in his junior year as his sophomore success went to his head and Gary couldn't reign him in. The next year was really frustrating, but I think that team would have been decent had McCray not skipped his finals in December and gotten kicked off the team. There are a few guys on those squads that I did really like and who redeemed themselves later on. I don't remember being as angry at those teams while the seasons were going on as I am at this one (aside from McCray for off-the-court reasons). Gilchrist I couldn't get too mad at since he had just won us an ACC tournament. The next year I couldn't get too mad at the guys left on the team because McCray getting kicked off completely changed the complexion of that team.

I had a friend who had a class with McCray and he was telling me how he *never* was in class. So it was hardly a surprise when I heard the news. I remember a group on FB popped up -- "I would've done Chris McCray's HW"
@levineps

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Gilchrist's junior year was a pretty huge disappointment. ACC tourney champs and a 4-seed the previous year, returned everyone except Jamar Smith basically, and they didn't make the tourney, ending a really long streak.

Yeah, that's a good example. However that 4 seed was almost solely based on how them winning the tourney behind a crazy performance by Gilchrist. So they weren't really a legit really good team that year.

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

I can't believe they lose to GT.

They have to either win the ACCT or win out the reg season and beat Miami or Duke in the ACCT.

#55 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, that's a good example. However that 4 seed was almost solely based on how them winning the tourney behind a crazy performance by Gilchrist. So they weren't really a legit really good team that year.

But IIRC, they then started the next year off red hot, I remember they destroyed a pretty decent Memphis team early in the season, and then the wheels just came off. You had this nucleus of highly recruited sophomores and juniors, coming off an ACC tourney championship and decent showing in the NCAAs, and I think they got ranked in the Top 15 or so. Then the wheels just started to come off the cart, starting with Gilchrist.

Regarding the year McCray got suspended, I did not think that team was headed to the NCAAs either. That team suffered from a lot of the same flaws that the previous year's team did. McCray getting booted was sort of just the icing on the cake.

To me, those teams sort of symbolize the start of the decline, so maybe that's why I view them so unfavorably. If the players on those teams had decent heads on their shoulders they should have been a Top 10/15 team when they were through, and instead they were missing the NCAAs.

#56 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'll show my age here but the Bob Wade years of the late 80's were an umittigated disaster.

A coach who made a bad situation even worse. In 3 ACC seasons he was 7-35. He recruited fairly well but couldn't get those players to gel on the court. His prized star Brian Williams even transfered to Arizona. In the end he left the Terps program at ground zero, which makes the job Gary Williams did even more impressive.

#57 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

The Terps once again disappoint on the road in yet another winnable game. The were out-everythinged last night.(out-shot, out-executed, and even out-rebounded)

Nick Faust followed up a strong performance against Clemson with an absymal effort running the offense.(6 of the team's 14 turnovers were his) He shot the ball pretty well and still found ways to get to the rim though.

Jake Layman looked awful last night. His three shot sequence with under 4 minutes left actually led me to toss the remote across the floor. He promptly jacked a three on each successive trip each one looking worse than the last. The Terps were still only down 10 and were only a short run away from perhaps stealing one but plays like these have been emblematic of this year's team.

I'm becoming continually more concerned with Turgeon's sub patterns, which at times feel random. I know that his players are inconsistent but in February a clear rotation should be established reguardless. Seth Allen should be playing - a lot, as should Mitchell and Cleare. Padgett should be limited. Howard should be removed. (I have no idea what the story is here but his suspension and reinstatement have me asking a lot of questions.) Just play who you think has a future here and get them experience.

The next few weeks should be interesting.

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'll show my age here but the Bob Wade years of the late 80's were an umittigated disaster.

A coach who made a bad situation even worse. In 3 ACC seasons he was 7-35. He recruited fairly well but couldn't get those players to gel on the court. His prized star Brian Williams even transfered to Arizona. In the end he left the Terps program at ground zero, which makes the job Gary Williams did even more impressive.

I agree with that. I've separated the GW era into two so to speak, pre-championship and post-championship. He gets a lot credit for what he did here. But I don't think he deserved a lifetime contract off of one national championship like some do. If that's the case, Billy Donovan is unfireable now, which is scary considering he could probably coach another 20 years or so if he wanted too. My problem with GW is that he couldn't sustain even close to the level of success we once had. I don't expect him to a Final Four every year or even the Elite Eight for that matter, but I do expect a school like MD with the resources available to be playing in the Tourney every year with an occasional off-year and I think they should be going into the 2nd weekend of the season, which he wasn't doing.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=