#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Just making the tourney shouldn't be the goal of this program.

Agree/disagree with this statement. Obviously, it shouldn't be the ultimate goal. But you have to start somewhere. But you have to be realistic with some programs. Take Colorado, it was very gratifying to make it to the 2nd round. At many other programs, that would've been a down year.

I think just making the tourney would be OK for Maryland this year. Have the expectations been lowered, sure. I don't think anyone will be just happy "making the tourney" in a few years however.
@levineps

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I fight stupidness and over the top,reactionary statements. Like with Flacco, I realize Turge has his issues. He has his flaws. I have no problem with some crticism directed at him. I have a problem when people lay all of the problems at his feet, when they propose potentially firing him after 3 seasons.

I could not agree more. They are playing 7 freshman and Sophs, Some posters act like they never played a game or coached. Maryland will get better. The Flacco comparison is interesting. It all came together for Joe and it will for Maryland.
@mikeghg

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I could not agree more. They are playing 7 freshman and Sophs, Some posters act like they never played a game or coached. Maryland will get better. The Flacco comparison is interesting. It all came together for Joe and it will for Maryland.

Speaking of double standards, does Edsall get time to build his program? (Not sure what your stance is, just throwing it out there) Both him/Turge are in their second year. I realize it's bit of an apples to oranges comparison, just throwing it out there though...
@levineps

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

They are playing seven freshmen and sophomores, sure. Freshmen who haven't shown much consistent improvement over the season, and sophomores who haven't shown much over two. Two of the best offensive players on this team, particularly compared to playing time, are Wells and Aronhalt: transfers.

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

I fight stupidness and over the top,reactionary statements. Like with Flacco, I realize Turge has his issues. He has his flaws. I have no problem with some crticism directed at him. I have a problem when people lay all of the problems at his feet, when they propose potentially firing him after 3 seasons.

When you're done with that strawman, feel free to rejoin the debate.

#46 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

When you're done with that strawman, feel free to rejoin the debate.

Considering youre one who has actually argued for potentially firing Turge after 3 years it's far from a strawman argument. If the thought even crosses your mind to consider firing Turge after next year barring some scandal or breaking of NCAA rules, etc you are being irrational.

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Considering youre one who has actually argued for potentially firing Turge after 3 years it's far from a strawman argument. If the thought even crosses your mind to consider firing Turge after next year barring some scandal or breaking of NCAA rules, etc you are being irrational.

Yeah, I went through the thought exercise. After YOU brought it up. You were the only one talking about it: a classic strawman.

You haven't even made an argument against it, other than personal insults. So I say again, feel free to reenter the debate when you are finished pounding on that poor, person-shaped bale of hay.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yeah, I went through the thought exercise. After YOU brought it up. You were the only one talking about it: a classic strawman.

You haven't even made an argument against it, other than personal insults. So I say again, feel free to reenter the debate when you are finished pounding on that poor, person-shaped bale of hay.

There is no counterargument to stupid. It's a stupid thought to consider having Turge on the hotseat anytime soon.

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

There is no counterargument to stupid. It's a stupid thought to consider having Turge on the hotseat anytime soon.

Try me.

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Try me.

:lol:

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Turgeon obviously wouldn't be fired even if the team doesn't make the tournament this year or next.

If he misses both years, though, there will certainly be significant pressure on him to improve the team. Now whether you wanna call that the hot seat or whatever, if the team misses the tourney this year and next, Turgeon will feel some pressure and justifiably so. That doesn't mean he'll be fired, just that the questions will start being asked. That's not stupid, it's just reality. If this scenario unfolds, and then the team gets even worse in year 4, he could be in jeopardy. If they get things straightened out, then the questions go away.

He'll be given an ample chance to get things going. But if he hasn't made the tournament in four years at the helm, it's certainly justifiable to question if he's the right guy.

I don't think we'll get to that situation, though, and this will all be moot.

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Speaking of double standards, does Edsall get time to build his program? (Not sure what your stance is, just throwing it out there) Both him/Turge are in their second year. I realize it's bit of an apples to oranges comparison, just throwing it out there though...

Very fair question. I was concedrned about the exodus that occured under Edsal but certainly he should get another couple of years to turn things around, If anything football is certainly a harder turn then basketball.
@mikeghg

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

They are playing seven freshmen and sophomores, sure. Freshmen who haven't shown much consistent improvement over the season, and sophomores who haven't shown much over two. Two of the best offensive players on this team, particularly compared to playing time, are Wells and Aronhalt: transfers.

I think they are progressing. With consistent point guard play a lot of things would look better. The freshman are playing better defense, and are rebounding well. Jake Layman is much improved from the beginning of the year. Shaq and Mitchell have certainly progressed. As they adjust to height and quickness of the opposition they will continue to improve.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=