52 replies to this topic

#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Why they're good: Mark Turgeon is a program builder. He had outstanding results at Wichita State and Texas A&M; now he has the Terps climbing in the ACC. This group is a collection of very good talent that's buying into a style of play that is based on defense and rebounding.

Maryland is the top rebounding team in the ACC, leading the conference with a plus-10.1 margin. In terms of offense, it plays to its strengths on the inside. The Terrapins shoot 53 percent from 2-point range, which leads the ACC. Defensively, Turgeon's teams have always been strong. Opponents shoot 40 percent from 2-point range, good for third in the nation behind Kansas and Florida. The Terps rank first in the ACC in field-goal-percentage defense.

What they need to do better: Value the basketball so they don't beat themselves in games. Turnovers are killing the Terrapins. No team in the conference has turned the ball over more and forced fewer turnovers than Maryland.

Why they could be great next season: Maryland has 10 different players averaging double-figure minutes, and seven of those players are likely to return next season -- a year older and wiser with experience under their belt. Alex Len will have a big decision to make about whether to enter the NBA draft, but even if he chooses to leave, there is still a good group of returning players.

If you sprinkle in incoming freshman point guard Roddy Peters to help in the turnover category, Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz to help with perimeter shooting, and incoming freshman big man Damonte Dodd to beef up the frontcourt, this team has a real chance to come together and be great in March 2014.

A few things... I wouldn't call Turgeon a program builder. He walked into a nice situation at Texas A&M when Billy Gillespe left. They were almost always a ranked team under him.

They also don't play to their strengths on the inside. Len often doesn't get the ball in his hands enough. Just because they shoot 53% there, doesn't mean they do it enough, which is one of my gripes with this team. I wonder when writers at ESPN write this stuff if they have actually watched a Maryland game at all this year.

Otherwise I agree with everything else. I'm not calling for Turgeons head just yeat because this is a young team, and with the exception of Howard and Faust, it's his first year with his guys. But even without Len next year, there are three guys (Cleare, Layman, Mitchell) who have a scouts grade in the 90's, and Peters is a top 100 player. If he can't improve with these guys, and they are making the same rookie mistakes as sophomores, then I'd put him on hot seat status.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

It got lost a bit in the BC game thread, so I posted a blog today which included some thoughts on next year.

I'll repost it in this thread, since it makes sense here.

http://baltimorespor...s-on-the-terps/
Let’s think about the team next year, assuming Maryland loses Len to the draft. (Of course the Terps will also lose Aronhalt, and Padgett.)

Guards: Faust (Jr) Howard (Sr), Allen (Soph), Peters (Freshman)
Wings: Wells (Jr), Layman (Soph)
Bigs: Cleare (Soph), Mitchell (Soph), Smotrycz (Jr), Dodd (Freshman)

Smotrycz will be important to provide another spot-up shooter. Cleare and Mitchell should be fine as post scorers. It would be great if Dodd was capable of giving the minutes that Cleare and Mitchell are providing now.

I’m a big fan of both Allen and Layman. They are both going to continue to get a lot of time obviously. I do wonder how MD will play with both Layman and Smotrycz on the floor together. While they could spread teams out offensively, that seems like it could be a defensive issue.

Peters is probably a better option than anyone they currently have to run the offense, but he had season ending shoulder surgery in December, and is typically described as a combo guard. Asking him to come in as Freshman and be able to run the show completely is probably going to be too much to ask. I’ve heard he is really good in the open court, but has to improve in the 1/2 court.

Is there a JUCO PG, or Senior like Aronhalt who could be added to help with running the offense?

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Is there a JUCO PG, or 5th year Senior who could be added to help with running the offense?

I found a list on the forum at scout.com, but they required you to be paid member to view it. Sorry, this doesn't help.

PeShon Howard was a point guard, and rated pretty highly coming out of high school (grade 92). So much baggage seems to pile up with Howard now though. I think rumor is he was involed with Stoglin when he faced suspension, thus choosing to enter the NBA draft. Then he gets suspended for the Duke game for something.

This is where coaches earn their money. Turgeon has an entire offseason to mentor him, get him focus and grow the hell up. Also fine tune his game to strictly running point because Howard likes to freelance at times. Turgeon played PG for Kansas, so he knows how to teach those skills to these guys. In mentoring Howard, Turg empowers him to take Peters under his wing as a freshman, so he's ready for the starting job as a sophomore. I can't see Peters getting the keys to the car as a freshman.

Or, Howard is a lost cause, and we're faced with the same problems running the offense next year.

If Turge coaches up Howard and he makes a resurgence next year, Maryland will be very good. If not, they'll probably lead the ACC in turnovers once again, leading to another roller coaster season.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

The top unsigned PG's according to Scout are:

Rysheed Jordan (Maryland was in on him at one time)... down to St. John's, Temple, UCLA

Darren Black (Hargrave Military)... down to Dayton, Gardner Webb

Jaylen Brantley... down to Cincinnati, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Missouri, Syracuse

Ivan Canete...

Samuel Craft...

Rivals / JUCO Junction: http://rivals.yahoo....-search-results

247 Rankings: http://247sports.com...ool&Position=PG

#5 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

I do think we'll be much better next year. How much so depends on the PG situation as most have noted. It's easy to be disappointed with this year (as I am) but I think the future is still bright.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think the team next year can be one that makes the NCAA tournament, but I don't see them being capable of much beyond that. Unless one of the freshman (or Wells) really takes a major step forward, which could happen. We will still be sorely lacking a consistent scoring threat. Maybe Allen can be a leading scorer if he can limit the dumb plays, he is very talented offensively. Or maybe Faust remembers that he was able to get to the rim at will late last season and plays like a better version of that rather than the liability he's been most of this season. I like Layman a lot, but I see him more as a fantastic glue guy that does a little of everything rather than a leading scorer type. Mitchell and Cleare are good inside, but I'm not sure either is ready quite yet to take charge as an All-ACC caliber big man, though both have that potential.

I think the offense will remain the weakness next season. Hopefully Peters can bring some stability to the point, even though he's also more of a combo guard than a true point from many of the scouting reports I've read. If he can't, then I'm afraid that we'll be nearly as sloppy with the ball next year as we are this year. That and just overall basketball awareness (which kind of bleed into each other) are the limiting factors for this group of players. If they can improve that, then we've got some potential to be more than just a team that's on the right side of the bubble.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

A few things... I wouldn't call Turgeon a program builder. He walked into a nice situation at Texas A&M when Billy Gillespe left. They were almost always a ranked team under him.

They also don't play to their strengths on the inside. Len often doesn't get the ball in his hands enough. Just because they shoot 53% there, doesn't mean they do it enough, which is one of my gripes with this team. I wonder when writers at ESPN write this stuff if they have actually watched a Maryland game at all this year.

Otherwise I agree with everything else. I'm not calling for Turgeons head just yeat because this is a young team, and with the exception of Howard and Faust, it's his first year with his guys. But even without Len next year, there are three guys (Cleare, Layman, Mitchell) who have a scouts grade in the 90's, and Peters is a top 100 player. If he can't improve with these guys, and they are making the same rookie mistakes as sophomores, then I'd put him on hot seat status.

That's true, he walked into a pretty good situation at A&M but at Jacksonville State and Witchita State, those programs weren't built to win right away and required growing pains.
@levineps

#8 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I realize that people are more impatient with coaches these days but Turgeon needs more time than just next year.

I really consider this to be year one of his tenure as he inherited Gary's players and this is his first recruiting class. I would expect the team to take a step forward next season. How much of step is up to the impact of Peters and how much growth the young players make in their second seasons.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I think any statements that Turgeon needs to accomplish X next year or he moves to the hot seat are wildly premature. I see no benefit in putting him on notice or anything like that and I am fully behind him as Maryland's coach for the foreseeable future.

Doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if we struggle next year or that I think he's done a particularly good job with this year's team, but it would be taking a step backwards to rush into a coaching change because the early results aren't what we want. I know it's a results-oriented business, but I think we're better off letting him have ample time to get things going rather than making a change after 3 or 4 years, even if the success hasn't been there yet.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

People are really ready to push Turg out after 3 years of doing the exact same thing Gary Williams did for most his last 8 years. Laughable.

Anyway, I guess I've said it enough already, but this team is build to be no better next year if they don;t get better PG play. Heck, just smarter play in general. I mean a solid PG would be the biggest help, but we need to somehow get better basketball IQ. If thats even possible.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Turgeon isn't going anywhere. I don't think his stay in College Park will be short.

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

People are really ready to push Turg out after 3 years of doing the exact same thing Gary Williams did for most his last 8 years. Laughable.

Yes, laughable is the response to your first sentence.

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Turgeon gets a very long leash. But I do not like what I'm seeing vis a vis how Maryland plays to the level of their opponent...very Gary-esque.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I think any statements that Turgeon needs to accomplish X next year or he moves to the hot seat are wildly premature. I see no benefit in putting him on notice or anything like that and I am fully behind him as Maryland's coach for the foreseeable future.

Doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if we struggle next year or that I think he's done a particularly good job with this year's team, but it would be taking a step backwards to rush into a coaching change because the early results aren't what we want. I know it's a results-oriented business, but I think we're better off letting him have ample time to get things going rather than making a change after 3 or 4 years, even if the success hasn't been there yet.

That's just the reality in this day and age. You don't always get time to build. You are expected to have near-immediate success. Not saying that's fair, but just the current culture.
@levineps

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Year 3 is very important as I've said, you can't blame your predecessor or by contrast, ride their coattails. That said, I think barring an unforeseen scandal, I expect Turge to not face the hot seat for sometime. I think he'll get five years minimum. Of course, a strong finish this year can only help his case for an even longer leash.
@levineps

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Year 3 is very important as I've said, you can't blame your predecessor or by contrast, ride their coattails. That said, I think barring an unforeseen scandal, I expect Turge to not face the hot seat for sometime. I think he'll get five years minimum. Of course, a strong finish this year can only help his case for an even longer leash.

I don't think he gets five years if he doesn't make the tournament next year (assuming for the moment that they don't make it this year). In that case, they will be going into a new conference with a roster essentially composed of his players. He would get one more shot.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I don't think he gets five years if he doesn't make the tournament next year (assuming for the moment that they don't make it this year). In that case, they will be going into a new conference with a roster essentially composed of his players. He would get one more shot.

Look at Tom Crean, three subpar years, many thought Brad Stevens would be going there. I think he'll get a fourth year, assuming there's progress/recruiting is going well/etc. In general, you want to see an upward trend, so that's I could see him continuing even if they miss the tourney next year. I do think it will be hard after that though. I think there might be a bit more patience at MD compared to the typical school since GW was there for so long, who knows?
@levineps

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Turgeon isn't going anywhere. I don't think his stay in College Park will be short.

I agree. The core of this team is all freshman and sophomores. Turgeon is a good coach and talk of him getting canned after next year is silly IMO. This is his first recruiting class. He got here last year too late to do much, but still got Len. Last year was really a 5 man team with a lot of walk on players. Next year with a PG will be better, but he needs to be given at least 5 years IMO.
@mikeghg

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Look at Tom Crean, three subpar years, many thought Brad Stevens would be going there. I think he'll get a fourth year, assuming there's progress/recruiting is going well/etc. In general, you want to see an upward trend, so that's I could see him continuing even if they miss the tourney next year. I do think it will be hard after that though. I think there might be a bit more patience at MD compared to the typical school since GW was there for so long, who knows?

Crean was very different. That school was coming off of a major scandal with Sampson, and returned two of fourteen players. That was more akin to Gary Williams in 1989 than anything like Turgeon.

And if they miss the tournament both this year and next year, there's no real way it could be an upward trend. This team is likely to be the first Maryland team to win 20 games and not make the tournament in 37 years, when they weren't even allowing at-larges in.

Obviously a lot has changed with the tournament and the overall parity of the sport even since Williams came to College Park, and there is some circumstance this year with the terrible nonconference schedule. However, the point remains that Maryland is a school that tends to get the benefit of the doubt in these cases. I don't think there will be able to be a reasonable argument next year for not making the tournament even though the program is moving up.

I'm not done with Turgeon, not by a long shot, but I see some worrying signs that make me wonder if he will be the coach everyone wants him to be.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Crean was very different. That school was coming off of a major scandal with Sampson, and returned two of fourteen players. That was more akin to Gary Williams in 1989 than anything like Turgeon.

And if they miss the tournament both this year and next year, there's no real way it could be an upward trend. This team is likely to be the first Maryland team to win 20 games and not make the tournament in 37 years, when they weren't even allowing at-larges in.

Obviously a lot has changed with the tournament and the overall parity of the sport even since Williams came to College Park, and there is some circumstance this year with the terrible nonconference schedule. However, the point remains that Maryland is a school that tends to get the benefit of the doubt in these cases. I don't think there will be able to be a reasonable argument next year for not making the tournament even though the program is moving up.

I'm not done with Turgeon, not by a long shot, but I see some worrying signs that make me wonder if he will be the coach everyone wants him to be.

The point is many thought Crean would be gone and it was only a matter of time. Easy to look back in hindsight and say Indiana made the right decision. And losing at Indiana is tolerated even less than it is at Maryland.

While I agree with you, Turge had a "better situation," it's not like GW left it in great shape.

In terms of the 20 games, we all know that's mostly due to it's OOC schedule (which you mentioned). It wasn't too long ago, we were talking about the "winning streak" and people were whining about the lack of respect since Maryland wasn't in the Top 25.

And yeah it will be tough to say things are going right, but this team hasn't even made the NIT the past two seasons. But could I see Turge getting a 4th year even if they missed the tournament next year, absolutely. You do need to look at other factors besides wins/losses such as recruiting.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=