#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm sick of hearing about it. Jesus Christ, it's college fucking football. Let this kid be a kid before he gets paid millions. 

I hate the media.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Someone has to take up the Tim Tebow time slot on SC since that has almost run its course.
@BSLMikeRandall

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Someone has to take up the Tim Tebow time slot on SC since that has almost run its course.

I'm thinking Aaron Hernandez has made covering the Tebow saga in the upcoming Patriots TC a lot less desirable and just trivial.

@levineps

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Listened to Vinny & Rob Long on The Fan yesterday and the whole segment was this conversation about whether or not Manziel was the next Ryan Leaf.

This whole thing is such a joke. For every Ryan Leaf story, there are many other's where an elite talent goes through his young 20's bumps and comes out a man. Let him have that chance, then crucify him if he doesn't turn things around. And if he doesn't, it's his life... maybe he just didn't want to be who everyone else wanted him to be. Society is just ridiculous with their expectations of athletes in general, but especially collegiate athletes.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Listened to Vinny & Rob Long on The Fan yesterday and the whole segment was this conversation about whether or not Manziel was the next Ryan Leaf.

This whole thing is such a joke. For every Ryan Leaf story, there are many other's where an elite talent goes through his young 20's bumps and comes out a man. Let him have that chance, then crucify him if he doesn't turn things around. And if he doesn't, it's his life... maybe he just didn't want to be who everyone else wanted him to be. Society is just ridiculous with their expectations of athletes in general, but especially collegiate athletes.

It is cause for concern but like you've said before and I agree, if you have talent as long as you aren't doing felony-type behavior multiple times, you'll find yourself on an NFL roster. For every Ryan Leaf (who didn't have any major concerns out of college), there's someone like Randy Moss, who has major concerns and has a long-productive career. There's only so much talent to go around. And GM's want to keep their jobs. It's the same thing with colleges coaches recruiting.

@levineps

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

On SVP(he's not there today) & Russillo, the hosts are admitting the only reason the Manziel/McCarron "controversy" is only so big because it's the Baseball All-Star break. There's just not a whole lot going on.

I think the Heisman Trophy winner has a bullseye on their back, it comes with the distinction. As they've said if Manziel had done the same things a typical 19-20 year old college student does it wouldn't be a big a deal, but he's not a typical college student so you can't really use that point.

@levineps

#47 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

4mp2.gif

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

"Next time Johnny Manziel acts, he should first think, what would Tim Tebow do?" - ESPN

Sigh
@BSLMikeRandall

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

ESPN: Johnny Manziel ushered out of party

http://espn.go.com/c...rty-report-says

This is just too funny. 

According to other reports, Manziel stayed in Austin on Saturday and attended a daytime fraternity party, where he was spotted wearing a Tim Tebow New York Jets jersey.

Atleast he's kept to his word of "not changing."

@levineps

#50 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Can we please just start the season already? I don't even care if it would mean pointless preseason games like the NFL. Anything would be better than this circus.

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Can we please just start the season already? I don't even care if it would mean pointless preseason games like the NFL. Anything would be better than this circus.

He kind of reminds me of Michael Phelps, he needs structure.

@levineps

#52 Jeff_Kryglik

Jeff_Kryglik
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBaltimore,MD

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Is the Johnny Manziel situation overblown? Here are my thoughts...http://www.thesports...-his-lifestyle/

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this
@Jeff_Kryglik

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

http://espn.go.com/e...ting-autographs

This kid has flameout written all over him. I mean there are questions how he would transition to the NFL anyway but he's only killing himself with this other stuff.

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

This kid has flameout written all over him. I mean there are questions how he would transition to the NFL anyway but he's only killing himself with this other stuff.

It's just so ludicrous to me that these kids can't sell their own autograph's just because they're in college. Seems overly punitive, for no good reason, yet the NCAA continues to rake in billions off the talent of these kids. It borders on slave labor (not race driven at all in this context). They get their free education, but we all know that's not why they're there by and large. It's such a joke.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Is the Johnny Manziel situation overblown? Here are my thoughts...http://www.thesports...-his-lifestyle/

Well said, Jeff. Way to be a voice of reason on this topic. This kid really owes no one anything. He's not getting paid. He can and should do what he wants. If he wants to be a pro QB and a SB champion, he'll have to make some changes, but let him learn along the way and grow up accordingly. All the Ryan Leaf II stuff is just ridiculous. 

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's just so ludicrous to me that these kids can't sell their own autograph's just because they're in college. Seems overly punitive, for no good reason, yet the NCAA continues to rake in billions off the talent of these kids. It borders on slave labor (not race driven at all in this context). They get their free education, but we all know that's not why they're there by and large. It's such a joke.

We all know that what the NCAA does isn't right. However,  Manziel knows he cant do this stuff. I mean its one thing to find a way to make a few bucks here or there but its pretty bold and stupid to sit in a room and sign hundreds of pieces of memorabilia and allegedly get paid tens of thousands of dollars. This is far more serious compared to the stuff over the last few weeks.  

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

We all know that what the NCAA does isn't right. However, Manziel knows he cant do this stuff. I mean its one thing to find a way to make a few bucks here or there but its pretty bold and stupid to sit in a room and sign hundreds of pieces of memorabilia and allegedly get paid tens of thousands of dollars. This is far more serious compared to the stuff over the last few weeks.
Agreed. As utterly absurd and arcane as NCAA rules are, he should have known better. He's not going to change that all by himself.

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Yeah I'm starting to evolve here that he might be a real distraction. I thought he just needs to be on the football field and he'll be fine, now I'm not so sure.

@levineps

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Agreed. As utterly absurd and arcane as NCAA rules are, he should have known better. He's not going to change that all by himself.

Sort of my feelings -- I know some people are quasi-defending him because of the NCAA rules. He's a season away (potentially) from cashing in, comes from an upper class background, even if you deem the NCAA rules bad, he should just suck it up for the time being. This is just another issue for him now, possibly big one.

@levineps

#60 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

Sort of my feelings -- I know some people are quasi-defending him because of the NCAA rules. He's a season away (potentially) from cashing in, comes from an upper class background, even if you deem the NCAA rules bad, he should just suck it up for the time being. This is just another issue for him now, possibly big one.
You have to know when to make a statement, and when to toe the line. Whomever is advising Manziel either made the wrong choice or didn't get through to him at a critical moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=