6 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'm looking to dump my cable TV, because I don't watch much on it these days. I do have an OTA so that allows me to watch local Baltimore TV channels when I want to. Combine that with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or the many other options, than their is no need for it. EXCEPT for one, MASN. during baseball season. The MLB-TV is not an option because I live within the Orioles TV market.

Except maybe their is an option for that. Get a VPN from a company like www.strongvpn.com. They have servers based in Atlanta that would make my computer IP address be based out of their. This should do the trick for me to pick up the Orioles on MLB-TV. I was wondering if anybody has had any experiences with a VPN, especially watching MLB-TV through them.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#2 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I've used a VPN with MLB.TV. But my VPN is also inside the blackout area. It's been hit-and-miss for years, but in 2012 it was blacked out most days. I would make sure it works before investing in the MLB package.

#3 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I have not tried this yet, but I have looked into dumping cable as well. I held off for the sake of my relationship to a reality TV addict, and keeping the O's is a nice bonus.

I have already purchased MLB.TV and I will be sure to try the VPN trick so that I can watch on the laptop with my headphones on in peace, and hopefully eliminate cable. I will report back once the season begins to let you know if I can find something that works!
@bings012

#4 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

If you have Mac products you could look into getting Apple TV and running the MLB at bat app through that.

#5 lordbrook

lordbrook
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

If you have Mac products you could look into getting Apple TV and running the MLB at bat app through that.

I would bet this would pose the same problem because you would still be sourcing from a blacked out IP address. This isn't an issue for me since I live outside the blackout zone, but I would make sure before you go that route.

#6 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I've had MLB.tv for 5-6 years and love it, but I live outside the blackout zone. Last season, I cut the cord about halfway through the season because I was trying to sell my house and planning on moving, etc. One unanticipated problem arose when the Orioles made the playoffs, which had never been an issue before. All of the AL playoff games were on TBS, which I didn't get when I cut the cord (I got FOX over the air so I got the NL games). MLB.tv does not get you postseason games so I had to subscribe to Postseason.tv for an additional $5, which got me the TBS audio, but not the TV feed. Instead, I got about 6 static camera angles, no replay, and it didn't work through my Roku. It was not a pleasant viewing experience, but it was the best I had outside of going to a bar for every game.

So basically, if the Os make the playoffs, there's really no decent way to watch the postseason games at home without TBS.

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

Awful AnnouncingBOB BOWMAN WANTS TO SOLVE MLB’S BLACKOUT ISSUES FOR BUD SELIG

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic