• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#81 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,242 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how he looks when he comes back out. It's about a 45 minute break, but there can be long breaks when there are big offensive innings anyway. He'll have the benefit of being able to throw some pitches before he starts out, so that should help.

Yeah, it should not be a huge deal. Basically like a short rain delay.

#82 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Still, this shows how winning comes before the kid's arm. It's certainly not the best thing to do. I could see a rain delay for 35 minutes and then making the decision to have him come back out. This is totally planned. It's not a big deal but if the kid's arm was the #1 priority, I don't think you'd see this.

#83 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

Still, this shows how winning comes before the kid's arm. It's certainly not the best thing to do. I could see a rain delay for 35 minutes and then making the decision to have him come back out. This is totally planned. It's not a big deal but if the kid's arm was the #1 priority, I don't think you'd see this.

I hear you, but based on Mainieri's post-game comments, I have the feeling that if Gausman hadn't thrown just 12 pitches, he wouldn't have gone back out there.

#84 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

I hear you, but based on Mainieri's post-game comments, I have the feeling that if Gausman hadn't thrown just 12 pitches, he wouldn't have gone back out there.

Right. Plan was not for Gausman to throw both games. Considering how little he threw, however, LSU is giving him some innings at the front of Game 2. Mainieri has never been a coach that puts his players in danger.
@NickJFaleris

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Nasty.

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,242 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

This is the first time I am seeing Gausman. The highlights of Appel vs. FSU, were the first time I saw Appel.

I know that it is not really fair to judge either pitcher on a handful of pitches, but you immediately see Gausman's power, and to me repeatable mechanics. Maybe just an off night for Appel, but that breaking ball and his mechanics were a mess. Was expecting a lot more polish for a guy many had going at the top of the draft.

Ah well, again, probably not a fair assessment.

I liked Gausman's 1st strikeout in the 1st with the moving high fastball... but liked the 2nd k with the change-up better. In the 2nd, I liked seeing him regularly attack at the knees.

Pretty exciting arm. Should be fun to see him get going with Frederick next Spring.

#87 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

This is the first time I am seeing Gausman. The highlights of Appel vs. FSU, were the first time I saw Appel.

I know that it is not really fair to judge either pitcher on a handful of pitches, but you immediately see Gausman's power, and to me repeatable mechanics. Maybe just an off night for Appel, but that breaking ball and his mechanics were a mess. Was expecting a lot more polish for a guy many had going at the top of the draft.

Ah well, again, probably not a fair assessment.

I liked Gausman's 1st strikeout in the 1st with the moving high fastball... but liked the 2nd k with the change-up better. In the 2nd, I liked seeing him regularly attack at the knees.

Pretty exciting arm. Should be fun to see him get going with Frederick next Spring.

I watched Appel vs. Fresno State last weekend, and he looked really good. Power fastball down in the zone, slider dropping off the table...
@BSLLukeJackson

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,242 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

I watched Appel vs. Fresno State last weekend, and he looked really good. Power fastball down in the zone, slider dropping off the table...

Yeah, obviously he was ranked as high as he was with reason. Enough people saw him and liked him. If I'm Pittsburgh, I'm excited about getting him signed and pairing him with the other two.

But as a fan of the O's, I think the Orioles made the right choice. At-least that is my immediate impression.

#89 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

If Gausman wanted to play it completely safe, he could just sign a contract now and stop pitching for LSU, I saw an FSU reporter tweeted how an FSU did that. When you're in middle of a playoff run in any sport, it's hard to change the mentality.
@levineps

#90 RVAbird

RVAbird
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Gausman is starting right now against Stony Brook in the game 2 of the Super Regionals. It's in the 3rd as I type, but the rain is really starting to come down.

Gausman has dominated thus far mainly with a FB/CH combo. Stony Brook is a mid-tier college lineup and has been overmatched. Gausman's gotten swinging Ks on a plus change up and looks to be dialing back the FB velo some (90-93 on the four-seam according to the gun). You can stream the game at espn3.com. Looks like we might be headed for a delay.
@TenthInning

#91 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

If Gausman wanted to play it completely safe, he could just sign a contract now and stop pitching for LSU, I saw an FSU reporter tweeted how an FSU did that. When you're in middle of a playoff run in any sport, it's hard to change the mentality.

That'd be wrong... I'm glad he didn't do that...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#92 RVAbird

RVAbird
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Ran into some trouble in the third pitching through on and off rain. A pretty fat 90 MPH fastball got hit for a double to lead off the inning. The runner advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a single. Gausman then relied a bit more on the breaking ball to mixed results. 2 runs in altogether.
@TenthInning

#93 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

I never heard of a 1-seam FB before...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#94 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

His pick-off throw got over there in a hurry...

#95 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

I remember in the Post, when LeBron was playing in Capitol Classic, Chris Kelly's high school coach commented how LeBron was making a bad move risking his whole pro career on an exhibition game(if I recall LeBron had an insurance policy but still) since Kelly had been injured during one of those "All-Star games"(I believe the MD-PA showdown).

At some point you just have to play and when you are playing for a championship it's hard thinking down the road.
@levineps

#96 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

Agreed. People make way too much of a guy throwing a few innings after getting drafted. I like a player who cares more about his team winning while they're still in it, than shutting it down to ensure a better deal for MLB.

#97 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

I remember in the Post, when LeBron was playing in Capitol Classic, Chris Kelly's high school coach commented how LeBron was making a bad move risking his whole pro career on an exhibition game(if I recall LeBron had an insurance policy but still) since Kelly had been injured during one of those "All-Star games"(I believe the MD-PA showdown).

At some point you just have to play and when you are playing for a championship it's hard thinking down the road.

Right - I think there's a distinction to be made - between playing in a voluntary AS game vs. a championship tournament for your team. Two different things, one being risky and stupid, the other being risky and fulfilling.

#98 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Agreed. People make way too much of a guy throwing a few innings after getting drafted. I like a player who cares more about his team winning while they're still in it, than shutting it down to ensure a better deal for MLB.

It's very weird how they get drafted while they are still in college. Imagine if the NBA Draft were between the conference tourney's and start of the NCAA Tournament?
@levineps

#99 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

It would also take away leverage for him to stop playing baseball for his college team. Would be tough to go back for a senior year after you walked away from the team in the middle of the ncaa tournament.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@NickJFaleris

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

It would also take away leverage for him to stop playing baseball for his college team. Would be tough to go back for a senior year after you walked away from the team in the middle of the ncaa tournament.

Very good point. Although as a #4 pick, I doubt that is an issue in this particular case (do you?). But it doesn't change the validity of your point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=