22 replies to this topic

#21 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Obviously, a lot next year will depend on the growth of the 4 freshmen from this year. Much of that is going to be mental adjustments as much as physical.

Mitchell needs to decide how seriously he wants to take his game. I like him a lot, and despite his limitations he has talent. Turgeon had to call him out on his conditioning already earlier in the year. Not a great sign from a freshman, IMO, but certainly something he can overcome. Even in game, he goofs off too much. Last night he made about 3 dumb plays, then had 1 good one and stuck his tongue out like he was Jordan. I'm all about guys having fun on the court, I like seeing that, but he needs to decide how good he wants to be.

Cleare also has a ton of talent, but there have been some rumors that he is unhappy. I think he needs to decide how much he likes playing high-level basketball. He also needs to decide if he really wants to learn to play under control or if he just wants to come in and get mad and commit 2 fouls in 5 minutes.

Layman just needs to develop some confidence. I thought people were really overrating him early on, but after watching him all year he has a ton of talent. He is explosive to the rim when he wants to be. Hopefully with a full year under his belt he will be ready to go next year.

And Allen just needs to play more disciplined. Again, tons of talent, just needs to learn to take care of the ball better. Working on his jump shot will help too. I'm convinced he's a better shooter than what we saw this year.

Under Gary, MD players almost always made huge strides between the freshman and sophomore years. If Turgeon can continue that trend, MD should be in good shape next year. (Likely) losing Len will hurt. Adding Smotrycz should help. Hopefully Howard can carry over his improved play at the end of this year to next year as a senior.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,004 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

We've got a lot of nice pieces, and I think between Wells, Allen, Faust, and Layman that we can develop three upper echelon ACC players for next year. Not All-ACC caliber guys, though maybe one or two honorable mention types or one guy getting onto the 2nd team. That's a solid core, the problem is they all play pretty similarly. Layman's got a bit more size and Allen's a bit more of a on-ball guy, but really all 4 are slashers who don't really run an offense.

The problem is we won't have any consistency either under the basket or at the point next year. Peters isn't going to be a major solution, IMO. I've read more and more about him being the same type of combo guard as Allen and others we've already got, plus he's way behind the 8-ball with his shoulder injury. I'm not optimistic about him being one of the top 6-7 players on the team next year, at least not right away. I've only seen internet clips of him playing, though, so I could be completely off base. Pe'shon isn't going to be the answer. Hopefully he's relegated to James Padgett status for his senior year, but I think necessity may lead to him having more PT.

Mitchell and Cleare are both nice players, and I think a really solid team could get by with them as their 2nd and 3rd best interior guys. But they need someone else with them to provide some consistency. If we had an Ekene Ibekwe or a James Gist or even a Jamar Smith to put with these guys, then I'd be really optimistic about the front court. We really need an above-the-rim power forward to go with our big below-the-rim centers. I like both Mitchell and Cleare and think both can be part of a really good team, even start, but we don't have anyone who excels at the areas that those guys lack, and that's a problem.

The most important improvement the team will have to make, more than even any additional talent, is simply playing the game smarter. We can't turn the ball over as often next year, especially not when at least 1 of every 3 turnovers is completely unforced by either the defensive pressure or the offensive pacing. We have to take better shots. Faust can't throw up off-the-dribble falling sideways threes. He can be a weapon as a catch-and-shoot guy, but he's miserable in any other scenario. Wells is great in the open court, but needs to slow down at times in the half court to avoid turnovers and stupid fouls. It all boils down to basketball intelligence. I'm not one who thinks that being a smart player is something that you either have or don't have. It can be taught. This isn't a very complicated game. Turgeon just needs to get through to the guys and have them buy into what he's selling.

And finding a Juco or graduate-and-transfer PG would be big.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,327 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland's season is finally over. So what now..?
http://www.testudoti...ver-so-what-now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=