#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

I'm fine with the whole cold weather Super Bowl thing. I just hate that Baltimore got told we would never have one, and this is another case of New York just being so effing special for some reason.

Goodell I think was being fairly diplomatic, if you're referring to what he told season ticket holders last year. If they're going to have a cold weather SB in one city as a testing ground, which one would be more logical? I'd love to see the SB go to Lambeau, but I'm pretty realistic that isn't happening.

• Mike in STL likes this
@levineps

#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

I'm fine with the whole cold weather Super Bowl thing. I just hate that Baltimore got told we would never have one, and this is another case of New York just being so effing special for some reason.

You mean other than being the largest city in the country, the center of one of the largest urban regions in the world, and the economic, cultural and tourist center for America? Yeah, what makes them so great :P

• mweb08 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Predator cam. Should be interesting...once.

When you put it that way, I'm officially rooting for a monsoon during the game.

"Hey, they only have seven play--oh, wait, four guys are covered in mud. Never mind."

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Goodell I think was being fairly diplomatic, if you're referring to what he told season ticket holders last year. If they're going to have a cold weather SB in one city as a testing ground, which one would be more logical? I'd love to see the SB go to Lambeau, but I'm pretty realistic that isn't happening.

I guess it was Tagliabue. Who we know hated Bmore anyway. But he said when the Ravens built their new stadium we would never have a Super Bowl because of the cold. I just dislike New York. Damn Yankees. Completely unrelated I know. If this is a test run and they start including BMore, Philly, DC in the SB mix, I'm down.
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

I guess it was Tagliabue. Who we know hated Bmore anyway. But he said when the Ravens built their new stadium we would never have a Super Bowl because of the cold. I just dislike New York. Damn Yankees. Completely unrelated I know. If this is a test run and they start including BMore, Philly, DC in the SB mix, I'm down.

Not Philly...:P

@DJ_McCann

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

The idea of a cold weather SB was a foreign concept until relatively recently. Remember KC was originally awarded a SB, but when the rolling roof proposal failed, they lost the SB with it.

I really don't know if Tagliabue "hated" Baltimore -- yeah I know you're referring to the "build a museum" comment. I think he didn't want to get the city's hopes up on the NFL returning to the city, knowing that many NFL owners (including Modell I believe) voted against it in expansion to be able to use it as leverage. Same reason the NFL isn't suffering without LA right now, you could even argue it's made the league more valuable because once(and if) there is a team there, that's no longer leverage.

For the sake of argument, if all those cities had bid, it still probably would've been awarded to NY. I actually think having a cold weather SB in Denver or Seattle might be better because those games would start earlier -- now the logistics of that are a whole other matter.

@levineps

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

ESPN: Renee Fleming to sing anthem

http://espn.go.com/n...national-anthem

@levineps

#48 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

ESPN: Renee Fleming to sing anthem   http://espn.go.com/n...national-anthem

This is very exciting. Trust me
  • Oriole85 likes this

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

This is very exciting. Trust me

High expectations now. I considered looking up some of her videos Youtube, but I'll just wait to be surprised on SB Sunday.

@levineps

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Yahoo Sports: MetLife Stadium needs to be dug out after snow storm less than two weeks before Super Bowl

http://sports.yahoo....52205--nfl.html

Because of the logistics and the millions and millions of dollars the network would lose in advertising money if the Super Bowl had to be moved back a day because of weather, odds are that if the teams could somehow, someway make it to the stadium and if the television equipment and satellite trucks worked, there would be a game. The only way the NFL wouldn't play it was scheduled is if it was physically impossible to do so. But it's still interesting to think about the possibilities of the league's biggest game being played in a foot of snow.

I get they have contingency plans, they always do and they have to more so this year. But I do think like they said here -- if the teams can get to the stadium, the TV equipment is working -- they'll play the game.

@levineps

#51 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

I almost hope this is a crazy debacle just for the train wreck aspect of it and because NY, NJ just had to get a SB.

:D
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Not counting the Vikings roof collapse where they lost a few home games at the Metrodome, I can only think of ONE game moved because of snow(the Eagles one that was moved from Sunday to Tuesday). They've never had to move a playoff game because of weather before to my knowledge not counting that initial one held at Chicago Stadium.

@levineps

#53 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Not counting the Vikings roof collapse where they lost a few home games at the Metrodome, I can only think of ONE game moved because of snow(the Eagles one that was moved from Sunday to Tuesday). They've never had to move a playoff game because of weather before to my knowledge not counting that initial one held at Chicago Stadium.

Right. The Tuck Rule game was played in a snowstorm, for example.

@DJ_McCann

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

ESPN: Super Bowl weather looking OK

http://espn.go.com/n...eattle-seahawks

According to weather.com, the Feb. 2 forecast for East Rutherford, N.J., calls for a high temperature of 35 degrees, a low of 25, and just a 30 percent chance of snow. Winds are expected to be at eight miles per hour. Accuweather.com calls for a high temperature of 36 and a low of 26 with the possibility of snow showers.

Grubman said the league would require 24 hours to move the game time and 36 hours to switch days.

Again, I don't see them changing the day of the game unless there's an avalanche. I could see them possibly moving the game up, but even that I don't think will happen as advertisers are paying for the game to be in primetime.

@levineps

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Everyone dogs Dirty Jers, and for good reason a lot of times... but this is a great opportunity for people who don't feel like dealing with the big city to explore some awesome restaurants in northern Jersey. Paramus is the mall capital of the world, Ridgewood, Park Ridge has an exemplary Italian place, Ramsey, Hoboken overlooking NYC. If I were going for the weekend, I'd probably want to go to NYC and get hammered at an awesome Irish pub maybe Thursday or Friday night, but I'd spend the rest of the time hanging out in those various little towns in Northern Jersey. Eff those damned jug handles though. Why can't I just turn left, ugh. 

• KWebz likes this

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Everyone dogs Dirty Jers, and for good reason a lot of times... but this is a great opportunity for people who don't feel like dealing with the big city to explore some awesome restaurants in northern Jersey. Paramus is the mall capital of the world, Ridgewood, Park Ridge has an exemplary Italian place, Ramsey, Hoboken overlooking NYC. If I were going for the weekend, I'd probably want to go to NYC and get hammered at an awesome Irish pub maybe Thursday or Friday night, but I'd spend the rest of the time hanging out in those various little towns in Northern Jersey. Eff those damned jug handles though. Why can't I just turn left, ugh. 

I went to Hoboken some years back for the St. Patty's celebration there which is like two weekends before. I think they've since cancelled it altogether or scaled it back. People who lived in NYC liked to joke that's the one day of the year, they go to NJ.

@levineps

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

Denver Post: Denver Broncos won't say how many Super Bowl tickets offered to fans

http://www.denverpos...many-super-bowl

The odds that a Denver Broncos season-ticket holder would win the organization's lottery and a chance to buy Super Bowl tickets at face value were slim.

But just how slim is a secret.

That's because Broncos officials refuse to say how many of the tickets allotted to the team by the NFL were offered to season-ticket holders and how many were sold to a California company selling packaged trips including airfare and hotel.

This is annoying to me, I think every participating team should be required to give the vast majority of their tickets to season ticket holders. Now I know, that many of them would then "flip" them to make top buck. Here's a way to prevent that: put the ticket in the ticket holders name and make them pick it up of the day of the game or something. I'm for other ideas as well, but the main goal of this is to ensure that some of the most loyal fans are able to get tickets at somewhat reasonable prices.

I do agree with the fans who are angry about the lack of transparency, but I can't say I'm too surprised over this, that's just how sports teams (private businesses) tend to operate on this sort of thing.

@levineps

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

ESPN: Prices plummet for SB tickets

http://espn.go.com/n...ontinue-plummet

@levineps

#59 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I'm surprised. I paid $1500 for my ticket last year and the lowest priced ticket is $400 less than it was this time last year. I thought they'd be more expensive this year, for sure.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

I'm surprised. I paid $1500 for my ticket last year and the lowest priced ticket is $400 less than it was this time last year. I thought they'd be more expensive this year, for sure.

I don't think it should be that surprising other than it's a more affluent market. While many New Yorkers may have the money to drop that kind of cash if they wanted too -- without a real rooting interesting, how many people want to brave the elements? If there was a team in the Northeast playing(from DC to New England), I think the prices would've been substantially more. I think between the cold weather destination and no team within driving distance, ticket brokers and hospitality companies are asking for too much given everything.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=