HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

ESPN: Joe Flacco blasts cold-weather Bowl

http://espn.go.com/n...4-super-bowl-nj
Clearly his word choice, just slipped out of his tongue since he just corrected himself. Still unacceptable especially for somone who works with Special Olympics.

In terms of what he was really trying to say, I can see how it would bother players. I'm guessing as it is they don't look forward to going to cold weather SBs played indoors. Now add a SB being played outside with the elements a factor. I'm in favor of NY getting the SB, I think the elements are part of the game, but I see the opposition POV.
@levineps

#4 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Clearly his word choice, just slipped out of his tongue since he just corrected himself. Still unacceptable especially for somone who works with Special Olympics.

I agree. That comment was...

Posted Image
  • DuffMan likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Ugh, it's unfortunate because we've all grown up in a time where saying something's "retarded" just meant it's dumb, and has zero association at all with people who are unfortunately, mentally challenged. That said, that doesn't make it right. You just gotta break old habits and realize that people are watching you these days. Be an example. Use your vocabulary.

This really isn't a big deal, but it's annoying... because Joe hardly ever makes any news at all... now he makes a Super Bowl and says something stupid the second the fliht touches down in New Orleans.

#6 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Ugh, it's unfortunate because we've all grown up in a time where saying something's "retarded" just meant it's dumb, and has zero association at all with people who are unfortunately, mentally challenged. That said, that doesn't make it right. You just gotta break old habits and realize that people are watching you these days. Be an example. Use your vocabulary.

This really isn't a big deal, but it's annoying... because Joe hardly ever makes any news at all... now he makes a Super Bowl and says something stupid the second the fliht touches down in New Orleans.

Yeah I think this is a good description of it. You just have to be more careful with your words. I think if you're anywhere in your 20's and younger, you've at one time or another referred to something as 'retarded' or 'gay' and obviously not intended anything offensive to either of those groups. It's something I've tried to become as cognizant of as possible in my older years, as I've come to view it as being in pretty poor form. You just have to be more careful if you're in the spotlight and I would imagine Joe will never have another situation like this. I'm actually surprised people aren't making a bigger deal out of it, with how things like this are usually blown out of proportion.

@AdamWolff

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Yeah I think this is a good description of it. You just have to be more careful with your words. I think if you're anywhere in your 20's and younger, you've at one time or another referred to something as 'retarded' or 'gay' and obviously not intended anything offensive to either of those groups. It's something I've tried to become as cognizant of as possible in my older years, as I've come to view it as being in pretty poor form. You just have to be more careful if you're in the spotlight and I would imagine Joe will never have another situation like this. I'm actually surprised people aren't making a bigger deal out of it, with how things like this are usually blown out of proportion.

I think it was definitely headed that way until these deer antlers propped up in the spot light. I don't know, you may have heard of the story I'm referencing. Might have. ;)

#8 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

I think it was definitely headed that way until these deer antlers propped up in the spot light. I don't know, you may have heard of the story I'm referencing. Might of. ;)

Haha well played. These other sort of distraction stories have actually made me feel like we've haven't been completely suffocated with, 'Holy hell these coaches are brothers!!!' stuff like the last few weeks had made me think we would. Obviously these stories aren't the kind of stories the Ravens would prefer to have, but hey, as a neutral fan in all of this, I can't complain!

@AdamWolff

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I am as well, given the fact it was the QB of one of the teams during SB week. It's just one of those things, he says this in the locker room and/or with his friends, the "moral police" isn't going to come after him. And I realize this kind of language is acceptable in these social forums. Many of my friends/peers still use a lot of this language, even though I have almost entirely dropped it out of my vocabulary (I'm sure I still say some non-PC things). The problem is by saying it there, you'll use it here. That's my main reason for trying to eradicate this stuff, I'm afraid I'll say at work, when I'm out in public, and/or when I'll actually offend someone. It's one of those to quote to my mom, "you never know who you are talking to" when you use a derogatory term.

That said to Joe's credit, he immediately realized he said the wrong thing and did apologize in a somewhat timely fashion. The only thing I think he could've done differently other than not saying it, was issue an apology on the spot.

Anyone who thinks its unfair that Joe is being targeted, it comes with the territory. Just like any other advocacy organization is going to use this kind of thing as a "teaching moment" when a celebrity makes a lapse of judgment, Special Olympics and similar organizations will do the same, it's to be expected. I can't really fault them here.
  • Adam Wolff likes this
@levineps

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

ESPN: Halftime show planned for '14 SB

http://espn.go.com/n...2014-super-bowl

They'll figure something out. Worse case scenario, is they'll play the dress rehersals at halftime. But yeah, they'll make it work. They have entertainment during the Winter Olympics Opening/Closing Ceremonies (usually outside), they just don't have to deal with the logistics with doing it during during an event. After a 30+ minute blackout during this year's game, maybe halftime will just have to be a bit longer.

I've also seen what happens if the weather gets really bad as in it's undriveable? Yes, that's an issue. But it's been one before, there have been four SBs in cold-weather cities. If the NFL was concerned they'd never award a game to a cold weather city, regardless if it had a dome or not.

I'm gonna laugh if its 55 degrees next year for the game.
@levineps

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

They'll have one, simply because if they don't SOMEBODY will.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Maybe the stage itself isn't as elaborate. This is one of those plan for the worst, hope for the best. I'll bet they have a bunch of contigency plans.
@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

ESPN NY: Report: NFL mulling storm plans

http://espn.go.com/n...up-plans-report
I doubt FOX will be OK with moving the game because of bad weather, Sat night ratings just are NOT as good as Sundays.

I get the contigency plans, you have to make them. But a lot of this isn't any different than having the Super Bowl in Minneapolis, Detroit, or Indy. The only difference is the game is indoors. But you still have to likely fly in/out. And bad weather would mean extended stays in these places as well. I don't recall this issue being raised when any of these places hosted.

I'm sure NY will have a record amount of snow plows ready in the event of a snow-storm.
@levineps

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'm sure NY will have a record amount of snow plows ready in the event of a snow-storm.

Hopefully the way they handled Sandy doesn't serve as any indication to how they'll handle the Super Bowl.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hopefully the way they handled Sandy doesn't serve as any indication to how they'll handle the Super Bowl.

Truth be told, anything could happen at any time for whatever reason. Of course, much more likely to see a snowstorm in NY in February than Sandy in October. It rained in Miami in 2007, not exactly ideal.

I think the major complication unlike Detroit (although similar to Pontiac), Minneapolis, and Indy is that most people especially VIPs are staying in the city and there's no underground public transportation to get people from NYC to East Rutherford.

This flexible scheduling reminds me of the Winter Classic, obviously that event is a lot smaller in scope. And the concern is usually more of if it will be too warm.

I really hope this works out next year. I'm really excited for this and I hope that one goes to DC in the near future. Not to be Debbie Downer, but I think the likelihood of it coming to Baltimore isn't great.
@levineps

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

ESPN NY: Report: NFL mulling storm plans

http://espn.go.com/n...up-plans-report
I doubt FOX will be OK with moving the game because of bad weather, Sat night ratings just are NOT as good as Sundays.

I get the contigency plans, you have to make them. But a lot of this isn't any different than having the Super Bowl in Minneapolis, Detroit, or Indy. The only difference is the game is indoors. But you still have to likely fly in/out. And bad weather would mean extended stays in these places as well. I don't recall this issue being raised when any of these places hosted.

I think the worst-case scenario is an open-air version of what happened in Dallas three years ago. The difference is that New Jersey is far-better-equipped to handle that kind of weather.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

ESPN: A risk it's willing to take

http://espn.go.com/n...fl-willing-take
I'm probably the biggest supporting of a cold weather SB but I think a major problem like Fox talks about in the article is holding the SB in two states. The thing about having it in Detroit or Indy is they are centrally located. I don't think a snowstorm is so bad for the game itself since I believe the game should be played in the elements, but it could be a traffic nightmare.

I think there's only so much contigency plans they can make for next year. This is unchartered territory. The bad thing to me is if there's a snowstorm, this will ruin any chance likely for not just a cold weather open-air stadium to get it but also maybe even some domed stadiums in cold weather cities. However, it's 55 degrees, everyone will be laughing and every cold weather city will apply for a SB.
@levineps

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

ESPN: Super Bowl L should be for Lambeau

http://espn.go.com/n...94357/l-lambeau

Won't ever happen and logistically it make NYC look very easy, but I love this idea.

@levineps

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider 2m

NFL makes it official, announces that Bruno Mars will perform at halftime of Super Bowl XLVIII

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

They usually announce the SB halftime performer in atleast mid-October I believe. No real strong thoughts here one or another -- but wow on the timing.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=