Photo

What if the O's don't sign Saunders or another 5th SP?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

It's certainly a possibility. There are certainly any number of candidates for the 5th spot even if the O's don't sign anyone. You have Steve Johnson, who Duquette singled out in yesterday's press conference. You have T.J. McFarland, the Rule 5 pick who has been mentioned. We have Brian Matusz who looked so good in relief at the end of the year, but Buck and Duquette have mentioned relieving much more than starting when his name comes up. You have Wada, who will probably not be ready to start when the team breaks camp. We have Zach Britton had maybe the best 4 game stretch of almost any pitcher on the roster late last year but who struggled with consistency. Again, Duquette seems very high on Britton. Last, but not least, we have Jake Arrieta who many thought would be the Orioles ace or at least a solid #3 starter last year. His season quickly went downhill and he still showed his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde act even in relief towards the end of the season. Rank them 1-6 on who you think Showalter and Duquette want to win the job and then 1-6 on who you think will win the job.

Mine (Showalter and Duquette's wish list)

1. Britton
2. Arrieta
3. Johnson
4. Matusz (I think they prefer to keep Matusz in the pen)
5. Wada
6. McFarland

Who I think will look the best this spring

1. Matusz
2. Johnson
3. Wada
4. Britton
5. Arrieta
6. McFarland

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Then we should all be happy.

If you acquire a pitcher, they should be a #3 pitcher or better...adding Saunders really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think BMat is going to the pen with little chance to make rotation out of ST...same thing for Arrieta and Hunter. I don't see MacFarland as a realistic candidate for the rotation.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'd rank them as Matusz, Johnson, Britton, Hunter, Arrieta, McFarland

I think Duke/Buck would rank them Britton, Johnson, Matusz, Arrieta, Hunter, Wada, McFarland

#4 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'd rank them as Matusz, Johnson, Britton, Hunter, Arrieta, McFarland

I think Duke/Buck would rank them Britton, Johnson, Matusz, Arrieta, Hunter, Wada, McFarland

I don't think Hunter is even in the competition but I could be wrong. Wada might not be either but that would just be because of health and inability to get enough innings in. I think Johnson, Britton, and Matusz will get the most serious looks.

#5 bmoreb

bmoreb
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I agree with your Showalter DD list

I would like to see
1 Wada
2 Arrieta
3 Britton
4 Matusz
5 Johnson
6 Hunter/McFarland

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think Johnson, Britton, and Matusz will get the most serious looks.

I agree with this. I'd be shocked if someone who is already in the organization, but not among those three names, joins Hammel, Chen, Tillman, and Gonzalez makes the rotation for the start of the season. Including Bundy. End of April wouldn't shock me (though I think mid-June is more likely) but Opening Day would.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

http://forum.orioles... ... om-Fanfest

Likes Hunter and Matusz in the pen

Please trade BMat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic