#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

What came first, the chicken or the egg? I agree. If they make that trade, it's with the intention that Smoak starts somewhere. However, they don't make the trade if there's a question about whether he starts here. So, what I'm saying is that if there is a question about it, they wouldn't make that trade.

I don't agree with that.

We have heard that some in the organization like Smoak and feel he can be fixed. IF that is an overwhelming majority opinion in the organization and they also believe that Matusz is nothing more than a reliever, then they should make that deal whether smoak starts in Baltimore or Norfolk.

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

So, Smoak shouldn't be handed a starting job but Reimold should?

Those are different situations. Reimold's issue has been health, not performance: even with the awful 2010 season he has a .794 career OPS in the majors. Smoak has been awful except for a short period at the end of last season, which is really the only reason anyone has any interest in giving up value for him.

I don't agree with that.

We have heard that some in the organization like Smoak and feel he can be fixed. IF that is an overwhelming majority opinion in the organization and they also believe that Matusz is nothing more than a reliever, then they should make that deal whether smoak starts in Baltimore or Norfolk.

I would guess almost any struggling player you could name in the majors or high minors has someone in this organization who thinks they can "fix" them. That's what coaches think they can do.
  • mweb08 likes this

#23 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I don't agree with that.

Under your supposition, I guess that could make sense. That supposes a low opinion of Matusz and a high opinion on Smoak. I would hope that they believe Smoak fixed something towards the end of last year and that's why he ended so well. If they believe that was just a random hot streak and he still needs major fixing I would hope they would just not get him. If the Orioles were really that high on Smoak and that low on Matusz, you'd think they would have attempted the deal already. It's possible but sure haven't seen anything like that. I would guess that the Orioles are higher on Matusz than you think and not as high on Smoak as you think.
  • mweb08 likes this

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Under your supposition, I guess that could make sense. That supposes a low opinion of Matusz and a high opinion on Smoak. I would hope that they believe Smoak fixed something towards the end of last year and that's why he ended so well. If they believe that was just a random hot streak and he still needs major fixing I would hope they would just not get him. If the Orioles were really that high on Smoak and that low on Matusz, you'd think they would have attempted the deal already. It's possible but sure haven't seen anything like that. I would guess that the Orioles are higher on Matusz than you think and not as high on Smoak as you think.

I'm not supposing anything...you essentially asked for a scenario to which this could happen without them handing Smoak the starting job...well, the scenario I mentioned is how.

#25 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'm not supposing anything...you essentially asked for a scenario to which this could happen without them handing Smoak the starting job...well, the scenario I mentioned is how.

Okay. I guess we just disagree then. I don't think the O's trade Matusz for Smoak unless they intend to hand Smoak a starting job at the ML level, right away.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Okay. I guess we just disagree then. I don't think the O's trade Matusz for Smoak unless they intend to hand Smoak a starting job at the ML level, right away.

Oh, I agree with you. But again, if the scenario I laid out is true, then that's how they make the deal without Smoak being on the OD roster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=