#141 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

He may not have caused it, but he exploited it.

Eli Manning won a Super Bowl because David Tyree caught a pass by squeezing it with one hand against his helmet. Now Eli Manning is ranked above Drew Brees in some of the rankings in this very thread.

Yeah, and I think it's silly how highly Eli became ranked because of that 1st SB. He never had a great season and wasn't great in that SB, but because they won a close defensive game in part due to that pass that almost never gets caught, he's great? Now, I will say that his effort to be able to get that pass off was great.

#142 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, and I think it's silly how highly Eli became ranked because of that 1st SB. He never had a great season and wasn't great in that SB, but because they won a close defensive game in part due to that pass that almost never gets caught, he's great? Now, I will say that his effort to be able to get that pass off was great.

One of my friends on Facebook posted immediately after the Atlanta/Seattle game ended that you now have to recognize Matt Ryan as a great QB. Would Matt Ryan's status have changed if Pete Carroll could manage the clock correctly at the end of the first half, or if Pete Carroll recognized that icing the kicker is stupid?

It's all relative.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#143 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I mean you didn't offend me, but I felt a little defensive about it.

I really think that a majority of people polled nationally would feel that was a great play. That doesn't mean I'm right, or you're wrong, just that a lot of people would choose to view it as a great play.

Anyway, you're an opinionated guy, and those opinions are never without merit. I just disagree here, and am fine with agreeing to disagree for now.

BTW, this has thread has to set a record for using the word "Flabbergasted" (or flabbergasting) the most times. :lol:

So the board knows, you sent a similar message to me privately and I responded so hopefully peace has been reached for all those that were frantically pacing hoping things would turn out alright. :lol:

BTW, it was a great play in terms of it's impact and how memorable it surely will be. There's a distinction for me on that compared to saying it was a great throw, though.

#144 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

So the board knows, you sent a similar message to me privately and I responded so hopefully peace has been reached for all those that were frantically pacing hoping things would turn out alright. :lol:

BTW, it was a great play in terms of it's impact and how memorable it surely will be. There's a distinction for me on that compared to saying it was a great throw, though.

Fair enough.

And yes, all of the frantic observers can rest easy, mweb and I are good. :lol:

#145 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

One of my friends on Facebook posted immediately after the Atlanta/Seattle game ended that you now have to recognize Matt Ryan as a great QB. Would Matt Ryan's status have changed if Pete Carroll could manage the clock correctly at the end of the first half, or if Pete Carroll recognized that icing the kicker is stupid?

It's all relative.

These types of posts are preaching to the choir. Matt Ryan is no better to me because the kicker made the FG or a receiver dropped one of those last second passes. I do give him credit for putting them in FG position, though.

#146 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

1970 commented that Jaws said only Rodgers and Flacco can make that throw.

#147 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I honestly don't watch enough of the other QB's to know who else could make it, at least not credibly... but I do know that I trust Jaws analysis. Off the top of my head, I would say RG3 and Luck could make it, based on the games I saw them play vs. us this year.

#148 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

That's just crazy talk. RG3 can make that throw for one, but of course not at this moment unfortunately. A fair amount of QB's can throw the ball 60 or so yards. Again, I don't know if the cold vs altitude balances out or how much that changes things, but 54 yards without hitting a guy close to in stride does not seem like some thing only two QB's can do.

#149 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

That's just crazy talk. RG3 can make that throw for one, but of course not at this moment unfortunately. A fair amount of QB's can throw the ball 60 or so yards. Again, I don't know if the cold vs altitude balances out or how much that changes things, but 54 yards without hitting a guy close to in stride does not seem like some thing only two QB's can do.

I think the situations dictates the comment.

I agree that other QBs could make it...I don't think it's likely that many QBs though.

#150 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Game is on NFL Network right now.

Unfortunately, I missed the Prayer in Thin Air by a minute and a half.

#151 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Wow...that Flacco to Pitta play was quietly one of the plays of the game. To not have to punt out of the end zone there was huge.

#152 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Wow...that Flacco to Pitta play was quietly one of the plays of the game. To not have to punt out of the end zone there was huge.

Definitely, and he wasn't really even open. Really good throw and timing there, and a nice catch by Pitta, obviously.

#153 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

And that Jimmy Smith play was an amazing one, and coming from him, quite impressive.

#154 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

And that Jimmy Smith play was an amazing one, and coming from him, quite impressive.

Yeah I said that last night. Just a great tackle.

And an interception by GRAHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#155 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

That was a great throw.

#156 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,367 posts

Yeah, I said the same thing in the recap.

#157 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Yeah I said that last night. Just a great tackle.

And an interception by GRAHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. Looking at that play, it was the pressure that really forced that. He had to scramble about, then throw across his body. Good stuff.

#158 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Rice with a huge run to set the Ravens up in FG range!

#159 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

And there's the Mile High Draw!

#160 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

If Tucker Cundiff's this, I'm going to cry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=