• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Technically the Coyotes make the most sense, but the NHL seems to be intent on making that market work, damn the torpedoes.

Actually I think things will fall through and they would be more likely to end up in Canada, but that's just wishful thinking. PHX, TB, and FLA all really need to relocate. CAR should be the furthest team south on the east coast.
@JeremyMStrain

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Actually I think things will fall through and they would be more likely to end up in Canada, but that's just wishful thinking. PHX, TB, and FLA all really need to relocate. CAR should be the furthest team south on the east coast.

Sure. The next three cities should be Seattle, Quebec and somewhere in southern Ontario, whether in or near Toronto or one of the other cities (Hamilton).

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Sure. The next three cities should be Seattle, Quebec and somewhere in southern Ontario, whether in or near Toronto or one of the other cities (Hamilton).

Yep, totally agree.
@JeremyMStrain

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Reports now that the deal is done. $525 million. Those involved are still not commenting.

http://www.sacbee.co...group-says.html

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Just a note that I didn't realize until looking the building up: Key Arena is older than First Mariner Arena. It opened in April 1962, while FMA didn't open until October. It was essentially rebuilt in 1994, though.

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Just a note that I didn't realize until looking the building up: Key Arena is older than First Mariner Arena. It opened in April 1962, while FMA didn't open until October. It was essentially rebuilt in 1994, though.

It sounds to me more like Yankee Stadium I AND Soldier Field than it does First Mariner.
@levineps

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

ESPN: Sacramento group has counteroffer

http://espn.go.com/n...acramento-kings
Back in 2011, I thought Sacramento should get a chance for "another try," it did. I'm not sure how many chances, Sacramento can keep getting though. I don't feel so bad at this point, they had their chances. I hope for their sake they keep the team, but there's only so much time you get.
@levineps

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

http://probasketball... ... -stay-put/

As we reported in September, in order for Seattle to be able to beat Sacramento’s offer financially they would have to drastically overpay for the team. This is because Sacramento owners do not have to worry about the Maloofs’ loan to the city, relocation fees, or moving costs.

The offer in Seattle has been reported to be $525 million based on the overall valuation of the franchise, so Sacramento can pay $425-$450 million based on the overall valuation of the franchise and still end up providing more money to the Maloofs than Seattle can.

Indeed, the city of Sacramento has presented a “model offer of public funds” according to one league source, and for a complete rundown of what a decision to move the team from Sacramento would look like, you can check out previous write-ups about the NBA’s billion dollar subsidy industry and how that plays into the league’s decision-making here.

In short, the league has leveraged cities into providing $3 billion of public money since 1990 for the creation of state-of-the-art arenas – all predicated on the assumption that a long-term partnership would be honored so long as both parties are acting in reasonable good faith.

If Sacramento has done everything it can to keep their team, a fact that is not in dispute, then leaving them at the altar because the Maloof family ran their own finances into the ground is going to be a major problem the next time they go to ask a city for money.

With the decision to have Kevin Johnson out to the BOG meetings already made, the focus of this story shifts to the work at hand for Sacramento. They have to get their ownership group finalized and ready for presentation.

Those following the situation should not be surprised if a deal is announced in Seattle, but like the San Francisco Giants’ eventually blocked sale to Tampa Bay in August of 1992 this will be decided by the owners once Johnson’s deal is finalized should Hansen come to an agreement with the Maloofs.

...That decision to rip out Sacramento’s heart is all risk and marginal gain, assuming Kevin Johnson has one more career-defining slam dunk left in him.

And since he hasn’t missed a shot yet, it seems silly to bet that he’s going to fall apart in the fourth quarter.

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

It sounds to me more like Yankee Stadium I AND Soldier Field than it does First Mariner.

Correct. Key Arena was practically torn down to the foundation and rebuilt (the Sonics played a season in the Tacoma Dome while it was going on) rather than simply getting a facelift. The irony was that it was rebuilt to the NBA's specifications, who 10-years later said it was inadequate. But I digress.

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Correct. Key Arena was practically torn down to the foundation and rebuilt (the Sonics played a season in the Tacoma Dome while it was going on) rather than simply getting a facelift. The irony was that it was rebuilt to the NBA's specifications, who 10-years later said it was inadequate. But I digress.

That happens in sports, it's SOTA then ten years later it's obsolete.
@levineps

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...oup-sources-say

$525 million for a 65% stake + controlling interest. Read elsewhere an announcement could come as early as Monday (21st).

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...oup-sources-say

$525 million for a 65% stake + controlling interest. Read elsewhere an announcement could come as early as Monday (21st).

Happy for Seattle but sad for the people of Sac.

David Stern, IMO made his venom for Seattle obvious, wonder how he feels today?
@mikeghg

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Sad any day, any city loses a team. Seattle needs a team more than Sacramento. It's still tough seeing a small-market city likely losing a team. But once again as cliche as it sounds -- it's a business NOT a charity.
@levineps

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Doesn't appear as though Stern has had as much a hand in this as he did the in original Sonics leaving, although one never knows.

End of the day, this isn't about the fans in Seattle (who didn't deserve to lose a team and should be happy about getting another one) or the fans of Sacramento (who likewise do not deserve this). This is only happening because a guy with very deep pockets and close ties to Seattle wants it to happen.

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Doesn't appear as though Stern has had as much a hand in this as he did the in original Sonics leaving, although one never knows.

End of the day, this isn't about the fans in Seattle (who didn't deserve to lose a team and should be happy about getting another one) or the fans of Sacramento (who likewise do not deserve this). This is only happening because a guy with very deep pockets and close ties to Seattle wants it to happen.

Agree, maybe it is my dislike for Stern, who I think went out of his way to screw Seattle, but I wonder if he was trying to stop the move.
@mikeghg

#36 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Stoked the Sonics are coming back.

Sad we're losing the Queens. It was fun always breaking their hearts.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Stoked the Sonics are coming back.

Sad we're losing the Queens. It was fun always breaking their hearts.

The good news is that they'll be in a better market, so now they might have some cash to throw at the officials, too :lol:

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Hey, teams shoot 27 free throws in a quarter all the time!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

http://probasketball... ... acramento/

In addition to offering hope for Sacramento, this article brings up a good point that is overlooked in the discussion.

If the NBA approves a sale to the Seattle group and then approves a move, they will be abandoning a city willing to offer essentially a publicly-funded arena to the team for one that lost their team rejecting the same and will be building a new arena with mostly-private money. So the next time a team says, "Build us an arena or else," why shouldn't that city say, "Why can't YOU build it like they did in Seattle?" And Stern wouldn't be able to come in on the team's side.

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

ESPN: KJ issues warning to Seattle fans

http://espn.go.com/n...brate-too-early
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic