#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I could not agree more. Had this been one of the media darlings, it would have gotten the credit that it was due. If either of the NY teams, Dallas, New England etc. had pulled this off then the phrase and question "Best postseason run ever?", would have been all over the web. I made the statement that Joe's throw to Jones was one of the great postseason plays of all time. Again, if it had happened in NY, the media world would have anointed as such.
Just incredible. Now 2 weeks after its conclusion, I am still thrilled and amazed.

Yea, no doubt.

Media doesn't care about the Ravens, so they aren't giving this run its proper due.

#22 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Posted this in the Denver game thread. Gonna post it here too:

The whole damn run was epic for Ravens fans. It's something you'll tell your kids and grandkids about the rest of your life. Sports as a fan simply cannot get any better. You'll never have a greater run than that as a sports fan.

Consider, it starts off with the face of the franchise and an all time great announcing his retiremnt. The Colts game was epic because it was Ray's sendoff at home. Last home game in a Ravens uniform. It also just so happened to be against the COlts.

Next, came the Broncos and Peyton in Denver. The game ended up being epic itself but you had the overcoming of the guy we couldn;t beat. Peyton had owned our souls for so long. Just beating him would have been epic enough, but to do it the way we did it was that much sweeter.

Onto New England. Another alltime great in Brady but this one is overcoming the demons of the 2011 season in the same house one year later in the same situation, a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

Finally, the Super Bowl. Ends up being pretty epic itself. You got the early explosion, the blackout, the comeback, the stand. Crazy

Seriously, a postseason filled with huge storylines every single game. Epic moment after epic moment that will live in Ravens fans memory forever. Seriously, you could go a long long time in your sports fan life and never have as many awesome moments that we got over 4 weeks. I'm telling you, this won't be topped in our life. This will be the defining Baltimore sports moments for our generation. I think that was represented in the parade and how many people turned out. Everyone knew how special and awesome this one was. I heard Eisenberg say that he remembers pretty much all of the Baltimore Championship parades and nothing was even close to this one.

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,723 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Screw the media. We don't need them. This thread detailed the epic ness of this postseason run well enough. ;)
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

The Ravens beat the Colts handily, were never really contested and won by 15. They gave up two return TDs to the Broncos but still managed to force OT and win. Without the return TDs, it could have been a 10+ point win (Peyton gets two more drives, of course, but we shut him down pretty well so I can't assume they score more than maybe 7 points there, probably less). We dominated the Patriots in the 2nd half, winning by 15 again. And we were up 22 on SF after the kick return. They made a great run to make it tight and we did what we needed to do to hold on.

But I think the way the Ravens played, they were hands down better than the other team on the field in every single game. A could of those games got close for various reasons, but I still think the Ravens were the better team on those given days.

You just need to go out and play at your absolute best for 3-4 weeks straight, and that's what the Ravens did. I think after the Pittsburgh loss, I said that it doesn't really matter how they finish the season. That the team wasn't as good as last year and couldn't win the Super Bowl just playing their typical game, could only do it if they are that team that gets hot at the end. But, that if they do get hot, they've got as great of a chance as anyone, and what happens in weeks 13-17 doesn't have much of an impact at all on how well they'll play once the bell rings for the playoffs.

I don't know exactly what led to the turnaround, I'm sure it was a confluence of events, but something seemed completely different starting with that Giants game. They played phenomenally, clinched the home playoff game, and things never looked back from there. The Bengals game they didn't try to win, but still held a playoff team's first string to something like 10-13 points with mostly second- or third-string defenders against the Bengals starters late into the 3rd quarter. Then Ray announces his retirement and I think that helped focus the team and rally around a singular cause beyond everyone's singular goal. Lot's of guys got healthy, we made some changes to the offensive line, and things just snowballed until the Ravens were the best team each week and ultimately the last team standing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=