18 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

If it brings any comfort at all, executive vice president Dan Duquette hasn't stopped trying to add a starting pitcher or a hitter for the middle of the lineup.

The effort is there. It's the results that are lacking.

Again, the Orioles aren't choosing to stand pat. They just haven't made a deal yet as we move into the second week of January. There's a difference.

I heard last night that the Tigers and Cubs are discussing a potential trade involving pitcher Rick Porcello, who also interests the Orioles. Not here's the rumored kicker: The Tigers are trying to get the Orioles involved because they want shortstop J.J. Hardy, and they don't feel as though the Cubs have the necessary components to make it a two-team trade.

For this to happen, the Cubs would have to send pitching to the Orioles as part of a three-way deal.

I still don't think the Orioles are willing to part with Hardy unless they're absolutely overwhelmed by an offer. They love the left side of their infield. They're not looking to shift Manny Machado to shortstop in 2013.

Also, since the Orioles have discussed Porcello, why would they need the Cubs to get involved? Just deal directly.

Anyway, that's the word on the street. We'll see what transpires.

http://www.masnsport...ore-rumors.html
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

What pitching would we want from the Cubs? Garza?
@ChaosLex

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

J Johnson, Hardy, Patton and Avery or Hoes for Porcello, Castellanos and Peralta

#4 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

J Johnson, Hardy, Patton and Avery or Hoes for Porcello, Castellanos and Peralta

I thought you weren't big on Castellanos?
@ChaosLex

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I thought you weren't big on Castellanos?

No, i think he is a good prospect and would like to get him but I think that he is a little overhyped right now and that is trade value isn't as high now as it was before.

I think there is definitely more of a chance that he flames out now vs where I would have put those chances last April.

That being said, I would like to acquire him and hope that he can get himself back on track and be the third baseman of the future.

#6 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I love the left side of the infield. It'd take a hell of a big deal for Hardy to make me feel good about giving him up.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I love the left side of the infield. It'd take a hell of a big deal for Hardy to make me feel good about giving him up.

I'm with you. A Porcello/Upton deal involving Hardy would be pretty nice though.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

People are really overrating Hardy. I like Hardy a lot and think he can be one of the better SS in baseball but his OBP sucks, he has an injury history and is too much fo a free swinger.

If you trade him and get Porcello and Peralta, you are a better team.

Hardy isn't AROD in his prime. He is a 2-3.5 WAR player who is signed to a team friendly deal. He is very valuable but he isn't irreplaceable and we shouldn't need to be blown away to deal him.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

People are really overrating Hardy. I like Hardy a lot and think he can be one of the better SS in baseball but his OBP sucks, he has an injury history and is too much fo a free swinger.

Hardy isn't AROD in his prime. He is a 2-3.5 WAR player who is signed to a team friendly deal. He is very valuable but he isn't irreplaceable and we shouldn't need to be blown away to deal him.

Not all 2-3.5 WAR are created equal. We need his stout defense at a key position. I'm open for dealing him, but it would have to be the right deal.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Not all 2-3.5 WAR are created equal. We need his stout defense at a key position. I'm open for dealing him, but it would have to be the right deal.

Yea, i get that...but its not like we are replacing him with a statue out there. We have a legit, viable replacement that may be the cornerstone of the franchise for the next 10+ years.

#11 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hardy's OBP sucks but it's not like Peralta is an amazing on base percentage guy. He's had a few nice years but he'll be in his age 31 season and he's coming off a .305 OBP season.

I like Porcello a little bit.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hardy's OBP sucks but it's not like Peralta is an amazing on base percentage guy. He's had a few nice years but he'll be in his age 31 season and he's coming off a .305 OBP season.

I like Porcello a little bit.

Peralta isn't the key. He is a stop gap for us to play third. He has some value...UZR likes him defensively the last 2 years and he has some pop. Wouldn't surprise me if him and Hardy ended up close to each other in value.

The key is getting Porcello, not just in 2013 but for the 2 seasons after that(at least).

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yea, i get that...but its not like we are replacing him with a statue out there. We have a legit, viable replacement that may be the cornerstone of the franchise for the next 10+ years.

I guess I'm keeping AS's reports on Machado in the back of my mind when thinking of moving Macho to SS. The idea that it could take him some time to get up to an average/above average level at SS. He was so good at 3B that I'd like to think he could handle it. At the same time, his coach in Bowie said his defensive mistakes were mental (effort/focus), so that makes me think he would be fine right away at SS given that his level of focus and effort in the bigs is obviously going to be far greater.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I guess I'm keeping AS's reports on Machado in the back of my mind when thinking of moving Macho to SS. The idea that it could take him some time to get up to an average/above average level at SS. He was so good at 3B that I'd like to think he could handle it. At the same time, his coach in Bowie said his defensive mistakes were mental (effort/focus), so that makes me think he would be fine right away at SS given that his level of focus and effort in the bigs is obviously going to be far greater.

Jeremy's take was well done and makes sense....but it doesn't mean that MM can't be very good at SS and/or that he can't improve.

Even if he is going to be a BETTER third baseman, that doesn't mean he won't/can't be a good SS. The Orioles have said, along with many scouts and experts, that Manny is the SS for the future...so, its not like people are saying that he can't handle the position.

#15 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Peralta isn't the key. He is a stop gap for us to play third. He has some value...UZR likes him defensively the last 2 years and he has some pop. Wouldn't surprise me if him and Hardy ended up close to each other in value.

The key is getting Porcello, not just in 2013 but for the 2 seasons after that(at least).

I know Peralta isn't the key but then there's no long term 3rd base solution readily available with Machado at SS.

Dunno. I know the Orioles would have a revolving clubhouse door if you were the GM, but I don't think the 3b/SS is broken right now so I wouldn't make attempts to try and tinker with it right now. I understand Porcello is an attractive piece, but not attractive enough for me to want to open up another hole in the infield while Peralta is the stopgap there. He's already logged a fair amount of innings on that arm at a young age, too.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I know Peralta isn't the key but then there's no long term 3rd base solution readily available with Machado at SS.

Dunno. I know the Orioles would have a revolving clubhouse door if you were the GM, but I don't think the 3b/SS is broken right now so I wouldn't make attempts to try and tinker with it right now. I understand Porcello is an attractive piece, but not attractive enough for me to want to open up another hole in the infield while Peralta is the stopgap there. He's already logged a fair amount of innings on that arm at a young age, too.

First of all, I hope to get Castellanos.

But let's say you can't. What is your long term solution anyway?

If you move Manny back to SS after Hardy leaves(which is after 2014), you have no solution right now anyway..unless you move Schoop to third.

So, its not like those plans change.

#17 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm all for trading Hardy if a team seriously covets him. While our defense overall would take a slight hit, I also don't think it would be the end of the world. I don't expect him to hit for much of an average - might get 25 home runs from him...maybe - but I'd be okay moving Machado to SS and getting league average defense at third with Peralta.

I think we may be over valuing Hardy (offensively) and I wouldn't cry or be incredibly upset if we got a better than average return for him.

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'm all for trading Hardy if a team seriously covets him. While our defense overall would take a slight hit, I also don't think it would be the end of the world. I don't expect him to hit for much of an average - might get 25 home runs from him...maybe - but I'd be okay moving Machado to SS and getting league average defense at third with Peralta.

I think we may be over valuing Hardy (offensively) and I wouldn't cry or be incredibly upset if we got a better than average return for him.

Well he IS our #2 hitter, which if you haven't gotten the memo, is kinda important. :lol:

All kidding aside, any qualms I'd have about dealing him would be due to his defense, but for the right deal I'd still be open to moving him.

#19 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well he IS our #2 hitter, which if you haven't gotten the memo, is kinda important. :lol:

All kidding aside, any qualms I'd have about dealing him would be due to his defense, but for the right deal I'd still be open to moving him.

lol, we actually talked about the lineup and Hardy on the show last night. His defense is amazing but I'd trade him in the right deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=