LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

http://baltimorespor...alk-episode-10/

In this episode of Bird Talk we get into the Matt Lindstrom rumor and talk about the bullpen. Then we discuss Chris Davis and his glove-work at first base heading into the 2013 season, possible lineups and optimal lineups, and finally we have Steve Melewski from MASN on as our guest to talk shop with us.

Intro Music: Russian Circles – Mladek

00:00:22 – Greetings

00:00:51 – Matt Lindstrom and the bullpen

00:09:35 – Chris Davis, his defense at first base, and some lineup talk

00:24:32 – Talking shop with Steve Melewski from MASN

Closing Music: Full song provided courtesy of Russian Circles

Bird Talk on iTunes
https://itunes.apple...alk/id582881939
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

The latest show is up. If you enjoy the show this week, please let Steve and others know.

#3 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Russian Circles is good.
Hope you enjoyed the selection. We plan on having a new artist each week.
Have a few upcoming bands that will be on, as well as some other more known artists.

And Steve was a great guest. I always enjoy talking to him.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

I'll listen to this tomorrow at work, looking forward to it, as always.

Double digits - look at you guys go! ;)

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Russian Circles is good.
Hope you enjoyed the selection. We plan on having a new artist each week.

Have a few upcoming bands that will be on, as well as some other more known artists.

And Steve was a great guest. I always enjoy talking to him.

Good idea!

#6 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Making me relive Betemit against LHP. After crusading against it for the majority of the season, I had effectively blocked out his mid-400 OPS.

Shudder.

#7 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Making me relive Betemit against LHP. After crusading against it for the majority of the season, I had effectively blocked out his mid-400 OPS.

Shudder.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to bring up painful memories. It was so painful for me that my brain somehow created a non-existent rule against it. :?

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Good show, Steve was a great guest. You could tell he was enjoying the longer discussion on the O's.

#9 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Good show, Steve was a great guest. You could tell he was enjoying the longer discussion on the O's.

Definitely, we all noticed that as well. Even before the segment officially started with him he sounded excited and ready to go when we first brought him on. It was refreshing to talk to someone that's just as excited to talk O's as we are.

I especially liked when Kevin brought up his views on favoring elite hitters over elite pitching prospects and Steve disagreed. That was a really good discussion there.

#10 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

His response was basically that pitching is more important than hitting...pitching wins championships and all that. Obviously more in depth than that and it's worth a listen to hear his complete answer.

But I still feel that elite hitting prospects are more valuable than elite pitching prospects - all else being equal. What do you guys think?
@BSLKevinEbert

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

His response was basically that pitching is more important than hitting...pitching wins championships and all that. Obviously more in depth than that and it's worth a listen to hear his complete answer.

But I still feel that elite hitting prospects are more valuable than elite pitching prospects - all else being equal. What do you guys think?

I'd have to do more research to back this, but I think I would prefer the elite pitching prospect.

1.) Elite pitchers are too expensive to bring in otherwise, and Angelos will NEVER do it, period.

2.) The injury risk for an elite pitching prospect is greater than that of an elite hitting prospect - but Signing an elite pitcher in free agency, or even trading for one later in the career carries that same risk, just a lot more expensive. At least if an elite pitching prospect doesn't pan out due to injury, we've saved $150M in the process.

3.) There are bad contracts given to elite hitters somewhat regularly these days, but I would still assume there's less risk in a bad contract for an elite hitter vs. an elite pitcher.

4.) If you're simply stating that you take an elite pitching prospect and an elite batting prospect, both stay healthy, both perform very well once called up, etc., then I might be more inclined to go with the elite hitter because they play every day. Unfortunately this debate just isn't that simple though.

I still haven't had the time to listen to this episode yet - hopefully later today - what was your argument?

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hitting prospects are more of a sure thing and in this new offensive era, they may become more of a rarity.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

4.) If you're simply stating that you take an elite pitching prospect and an elite batting prospect, both stay healthy, both perform very well once called up, etc., then I might be more inclined to go with the elite hitter because they play every day. Unfortunately this debate just isn't that simple though.

Right, I agree with this point. If I could have an elite pitching prospect, or an elite position prospect... I'd take the position prospect, because there would be less risk (perceived risk at-least) of a flame out from the position player, and you get the benefit of him playing everyday.

OTOH, because there is a greater chance of a flame out from a pitching prospect, I think you can argue they have greater worth. There is less of them to begin with as well, though SG is right they may become more of a rarity.

#14 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I thought Steve was an excellent guest and you guys did a great job interacting with him and feeding him good questions. Nice work all around!

@AdamWolff

#15 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'd have to do more research to back this, but I think I would prefer the elite pitching prospect.

1.) Elite pitchers are too expensive to bring in otherwise, and Angelos will NEVER do it, period.

2.) The injury risk for an elite pitching prospect is greater than that of an elite hitting prospect - but Signing an elite pitcher in free agency, or even trading for one later in the career carries that same risk, just a lot more expensive. At least if an elite pitching prospect doesn't pan out due to injury, we've saved $150M in the process.

3.) There are bad contracts given to elite hitters somewhat regularly these days, but I would still assume there's less risk in a bad contract for an elite hitter vs. an elite pitcher.

I still haven't had the time to listen to this episode yet - hopefully later today - what was your argument?

I just feel that if you have 2 prospects that are equally well thought of, and one is a hitter and one is a pitcher - I'd rather have the hitter. Pitchers get hurt or flame out way too much, which just makes them inherently riskier in my opinion. So many times a pitcher will get hurt, and come back with diminished stuff. Rarely does a hitter have an injury that will ruin his career, or turn him into a diminished player.

Also, hitters provide value on the defensive side of the game as well.

I'm not saying that I'd trade a pitching prospect for a hitting prospect in all cases, I just think that a hitting prospect is typically less risky than a pitching prospect.
@BSLKevinEbert

#16 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

I thought Steve was an excellent guest and you guys did a great job interacting with him and feeding him good questions. Nice work all around!

Thanks Adam!
@BSLKevinEbert

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I just feel that if you have 2 prospects that are equally well thought of, and one is a hitter and one is a pitcher - I'd rather have the hitter. Pitchers get hurt or flame out way too much, which just makes them inherently riskier in my opinion. So many times a pitcher will get hurt, and come back with diminished stuff. Rarely does a hitter have an injury that will ruin his career, or turn him into a diminished player.

Also, hitters provide value on the defensive side of the game as well.

I'm not saying that I'd trade a pitching prospect for a hitting prospect in all cases, I just think that a hitting prospect is typically less risky than a pitching prospect.

I don't disagree with this really - but where is the accounting for the value (surplus value) in this equation? You still need a couple of good, or even really good starting pitchers to win a Championship, and they are ridiculously expensive in free agency.

#18 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Thanks! We had a great time talking to Steve.

#19 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yeah Steve was great, as were the hosts as usual. I dug the music.

#20 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I really enjoyed Steve's insight on Bowie. I had thought all year that they were one of the most tight-knit teams I had seen in a while, from the coaching staff to the players. Glad to see he thought the same.
Will be interesting to see how they are next year without a few of those pieces there, such as Hocking and Widlansky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=