#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

If it's windy - you would think Flacco's arm strength would play better than Manning's. Lots of talk about the gloves Manning is going wear tomorrow.

I sure hope the altitude doesn't hurt the Ravens too badly. The Denver Post article a few posts up, talking about Harbaugh taking the Ravens out to Denver late was interesting. Everyone I've ever known who has been to Denver talks about how just walking around is an adjustment.

Well, its not like the Ravens have never played in Denver.

On our podcast, MR brought up the point that it really doesn't matter when you get out there, that it takes several weeks to adjust.

One thing that i think the Ravens HAVE to do a good job of tomorrow is rotating the Dlineman. I am not sure what the inactive list is going to look like tomorrow but we need as much depth defensively as we possibly can.

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

As expected, my confidence in the Ravens for this weekend has grown throughout the week. I'll probably finally talk myself into a Ravens win just before kickoff right in time for them to lay an egg and kick me square in the gut.

#43 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Manning has been terrible in playoff games when temp was under 40 degrees.

0-3, 1 TD, 7 picks.

To be fair, I believe the last game he's played in that weather was 2003.

But still, I believe the cold weather helps the Ravens.

#44 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

As expected, my confidence in the Ravens for this weekend has grown throughout the week. I'll probably finally talk myself into a Ravens win just before kickoff right in time for them to lay an egg and kick me square in the gut.

Well reading 95% of the national pundits reports, and many of the locals as well, the Ravens might as well not even show up. God I am hoping they win so they can tell everyone to go F themselves!

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

To be fair, I believe the last game he's played in that weather was 2003.

But still, I believe the cold weather helps the Ravens.

That was the first one...2003-2004-2005.

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well, its not like the Ravens have never played in Denver.

On our podcast, MR brought up the point that it really doesn't matter when you get out there, that it takes several weeks to adjust.

One thing that i think the Ravens HAVE to do a good job of tomorrow is rotating the Dlineman. I am not sure what the inactive list is going to look like tomorrow but we need as much depth defensively as we possibly can.

Reid was placed on IR...Asa Jackson re-instated. I could see Asa being active but not as expense of a Dlineman.

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

That was the first one...2003-2004-2005.

If only it had been colder that day in January 2007.

Still, the Ravens played Manning as well as they could have that day, and the team still lost.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

The cold should def help the Ravens.

#49 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but Bill Simmons is picking the Ravens to cover and to win. Here's a few of his reasons on the matchup.

SG: You're right! There's my argument for the Ravens! You even left out five things …

• Manning has never won a playoff game when the temperature was lower than 40 degrees, going 0-3 and throwing one TD and seven picks in those three games.

• Manning will be wearing a special glove during Saturday's game to help with his grip. Why? Because his grip is weaker in colder weather because of nerve damage from those four surgeries. I am not making this up.

• As my buddy Cousin Sal points out, for the past SEVEN postseasons, at least one prohibitive or semi-prohibitive favorite has crapped the bed at home in Round 2: the 2011 Packers (8-point faves, lost to Giants); 2010 Patriots (9.5-point faves, lost to the Jets); 2009 Chargers (9-point faves, lost to the Jets); 2008 Panthers (10-point faves, lost to Arizona); 2007 Colts (11-point faves, lost to San Diego); 2006 Chargers (5-point faves, lost to New England); and 2005 Colts (8.5-point faves, lost to Pittsburgh). For the streak to continue, either the Patriots or Broncos would have to blow their home game this week. I'm just sayin'.

• One last Manning-Brady battle in the AFC title game is just too delicious on paper. Look at this photo. We're one weekend away from it happening, with a trip to the Bowl on the line. Someone has to screw it up, right?

There's a few more Ravens mentions in his mailbag from this week, here's the link: http://www.grantland... ... offs-picks

#50 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

I don't know if this is a "Rant" or not...

Ever since John Elway decided not to play for the Colts, and forced the trade, I've despised the Broncos..I know the Ravens have beaten Denver in Baltimore in a playoff game, but not in Denver.

This would really make some amends to that crying 12 year old in March of 1984 that could have been avoided perhaps if Elway wouldn't have been such a prima donna..Who knows, maybe the Colts are more competitive in 1983, attendance picks up, and the Colts never leave..I lost my football team when I was 12 years old, and never really latched back on to Football like so many others have.

Maybe it's far fetched, maybe not...But I do know that this feels much more personal to me than any Steelers game.

Beat Denver!
@beginthebegin71

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

The cold weather history and especially this glove (and the nerve issue associated with it) gives me some more doubt regarding my two TD margin prediction for the Broncos.

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

The conditions certainly make it much more likely that its a lower scoring knock down, grind it out affair. Obviously, the longer Baltimore can do that and keep it close the better shot they have to win. I really think this ends up being a game in the teens, maybe one team gets in the low 20s.

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Apparently, Manning was wearing the glove the last 2 weeks vs KC and Cle..and he had big games.

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Apparently, Manning was wearing the glove the last 2 weeks vs KC and Cle..and he had big games.

That makes me feel better about my pick. It was 35 degrees for the last game as well according to football-reference.

#55 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Any wind is going to be more of a factor than the pure cold, though cold helps.

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Any wind is going to be more of a factor than the pure cold, though cold helps.

Wind isn't expected to be bad based on what I saw.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

PressBox: Broncos Preview
http://www.pressboxo...log.cfm?id=5669

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Denver Post: Broncos prepare to defend their house
http://www.denverpos...ncos-home-field

#59 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

On this day 44 years ago The Colts were upset by the Jets in Super Bowl III. Time for Baltimore to be the team pulling off the upset.

#60 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Is this the official game thread?

Sounds like it's going to be cold out in Denver today. No percipitation though, allegedly.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=