http://espn.go.com/b...vens-at-broncos

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

This matchup is one I've been dreading for a while. I think it's a bad matchup for the team and that the Ravens are going to have a really hard time getting out with a win.

On the other hand, I could see slowly talking myself into a Ravens win as the week goes on. They've looked completely different in their last two (real) games since the Broncos whooped up on us in the 2nd half in Baltimore. A great performance against both the Giants and Colts, combined with a very good job by the defense (1st and 2nd squad) against the Bengals starters in week 17 gives some room for optimism.

I do think that it will be a tighter game than the 10 point line suggests.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

This matchup is one I've been dreading for a while. I think it's a bad matchup for the team and that the Ravens are going to have a really hard time getting out with a win.

On the other hand, I could see slowly talking myself into a Ravens win as the week goes on. They've looked completely different in their last two (real) games since the Broncos whooped up on us in the 2nd half in Baltimore. A great performance against both the Giants and Colts, combined with a very good job by the defense (1st and 2nd squad) against the Bengals starters in week 17 gives some room for optimism.

I do think that it will be a tighter game than the 10 point line suggests.

The thing that gives me hope is that, at least from a defensive front standpoint, the Giants and Colts were ugly match-ups for the Ravens and our O-Line. Yet, the line, and Caldwell's bootlegs, have helped keep Joe upright and given him enough time to make plays in both of those games. I fear Denver's pass rush, it's going to be tough, but I do have some hope that the line can step up.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

http://www.rotoworld...7/terrell-suggs

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2237/terrell-suggs

Ugh. That doesn't sound good. If he can play through it, it's still important to have him on the field.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Suggs has been a non-factor all year long. It's obviously solely due to his injuries, but if he can't go, I don't think it hurts us defensively compared to him continuing to play through the pain at well less than 100%.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Suggs has been a non-factor all year long. It's obviously solely due to his injuries, but if he can't go, I don't think it hurts us defensively compared to him continuing to play through the pain at well less than 100%.

Of course it hurts us because he helps set the edge and is still a presence out there.

Even at 60%, he is important to have out there.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Of course it hurts us because he helps set the edge and is still a presence out there.

Even at 60%, he is important to have out there.

I just don't see it from him this year. He was really good in the Houston game, but has been basically invisible other than that.

Him playing or not playing won't change my opinion of how I expect the game to go in either direction. I don't really think there will be much of a drop off from him in his current state to McClellan or whomever would be replacing him. I'd obviously prefer he be out there, but I'm not going to consider it a huge blow if he can't go. We've already suffered the huge blow in terms of him not being the same guy this year due to the achilles and possible some other injuries as well.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

I just don't see it from him this year. He was really good in the Houston game, but has been basically invisible other than that.

Him playing or not playing won't change my opinion of how I expect the game to go in either direction. I don't really think there will be much of a drop off from him in his current state to McClellan or whomever would be replacing him. I'd obviously prefer he be out there, but I'm not going to consider it a huge blow if he can't go. We've already suffered the huge blow in terms of him not being the same guy this year due to the achilles and possible some other injuries as well.

I agree with SG, it's a matter of game planning. I see Suggs is still factored into opposing offenses game plans and blocking schemes. It has helped Kruger, IMO.

I may be overrating that a bit, but I do think having him out there is important.

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I'm considering seeing this at a bar in or around Baltimore. Is anyone going out, or staying in? Any suggestions? I know Mother's is usually quite the scene, but I think i'm starting to grow out of that a bit.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Him not making the actual play doesn't mean he isn't helping and doing the little things out there.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Him not making the actual play doesn't mean he isn't helping and doing the little things out there.

I didn't say that he was a negative or that he's hurting us. I said that I don't think we'd lose much going from him to his backup if he's unable to go. The injuries have really limited his ability to make the major, game-changing plays that we've become so accustomed to seeing. He's still doing a decent enough job of the little things like you said, but I think our depth behind him can accomplish those things as well.

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Regular Season Peyton > Playoffs Peyton

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Ravens cut Sergio Kindle today...What kind of impact does that have on the game? :D

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

The thing that gives me hope is that, at least from a defensive front standpoint, the Giants and Colts were ugly match-ups for the Ravens and our O-Line. Yet, the line, and Caldwell's bootlegs, have helped keep Joe upright and given him enough time to make plays in both of those games. I fear Denver's pass rush, it's going to be tough, but I do have some hope that the line can step up.

You're talking about the 22nd and 23rd ranked teams in sacks there so I'd advise looking at the results rather than the names in regards to those two teams pass rushers.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

This isn't a real or logical factor really but I like that Denver has won 11 in a row all by 7+ points. I like that they have a bye week. Now, logically what that tells you is that this is a really good team. One that has had a week to prepare and rest. Illogically it says, they might be due for a bad game. A letdown game. I can by that to a point. I think if the Ravens stick around, or jump out early, you make this Denver team start to question themselves a bit. You put them some pressure on them that they haven't felt in a long time.

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

You're talking about the 22nd and 23rd ranked teams in sacks there so I'd advise looking at the results rather than the names in regards to those two teams pass rushers.

I still have concerns about how the Oline will hold up. As mentioned, the Giants and Colts aren't the Broncos. Besides, I thought each of the Colts and Giants each had decent pressure anyway. Flacco really has made an effort to move around in the pocket better in these two games and it has helped buy him just enough time. Not only do I worry about the pass protection but I'm worried about the running game too. Denver shut tdown the run last time we played.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Denver Post: Broncos and Ravens are among biggest big-play teams in the NFL
http://blogs.denverp...eams-nfl/18003/

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

They will go after Joe on saturday...really wish he would step up and maybe run some on Saturday. Could give us some crucial yards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=